Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

yvonnecs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2008, 6:21 pm

Do you?
I do. I also can't stand saying it. I feel wildly weird and uncomfortable when I do, or if I write Love, myname and then the other person doesn't sign off the same.

I also have a thing where some names are REALLY hard for me to say out loud. I have no idea why. Am I a freak alone or are you a freak too?

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2008, 6:35 pm

Oh god yes. I can't even say it out loud to my own mother without her saying it first. I mean, I do love her, but saying it outloud is extremly akward. Saying or writting it to anyone else is near impossible.

Oddly though I can say I love sports stars/actors freely and loudly. Perhaps due to the fact that is a superfical and non real love. ..if that makes since.

OH... and the name thing! I hate answering the phone or taking messages because of it. I HATE saying "Uncle Alan" called or "Bobby is at the door" (if someone knocks) It is just really hard for me to say and I feel almost naked in front of strangers if I have to say it.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

10 Dec 2008, 6:44 pm

Dear Lisa,
Have a happy birthday
-Shane

That's what my cards look like. Sometimes I even leave out the "Dear".

Because I don't know what is appropriate to sign off with, leaving things blank is probably the best option.

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2008, 6:44 pm

Yes. It feels false to write it, yet rude not to.

I'd much rather instead of putting :love, Me.
I could put :care, Me.

Unfortunately I imagine not many people would get it. I would then be asked about it, which would involve an awkward conversation that I really don't want to have.

I don't even like saying it. If I feel it yes, that's fine. But when someone says it and I feel obligated to repeat the sentiment. Or sometime I say it because I'm feeling a little bit guilty. (it's sort of my way of saying sorry.). I don't say it to my father hardly at all, as I don't love him, I care for him, but that's it. When I say it to him, It's because it would come out wrong to say "I care for you" or "I have affection for you".

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 6:46 pm

Love is lovely when it's sincere; otherwise don't bother.

neshamaruach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2008, 6:53 pm

Yes, I love writing "love" on cards and I love saying "love" to people. I grew up very unloved, so I'm balancing the scales here.

The thing that's difficult for me is knowing when to sign a card with "love." Does anyone feel uncomfortable when they get a card signed that way? Like maybe the person is assuming that the love is reciprocal when it isn't? Or do you feel pressured that now you have to sign *your* cards that way?

These are the things I worry about. I also worry about nuclear war and poverty and suffering, so don't think I'm obsessed with just the small stuff.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Dec 2008, 6:55 pm

No, because I know it's simply a convention - a code which doesn't mean that you love the person and they don't take it that way. So I see it more as a type of meaningless ritual that one does to vaguely fit in and keep people happy.

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:02 pm

I have MUCH less trouble writing it (in an e-mail for example), but I do have trouble saying it to people. Makes me feel extremely uncomfortable :?

--Aldous Huxley

Moop
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Right here! Ya! Right behind the monitors glass! Get me out of here!

10 Dec 2008, 7:03 pm

neshamaruach wrote:
Yes, I love writing "love" on cards and I love saying "love" to people. I grew up very unloved, so I'm balancing the scales here.

I had never thought of that. Well, you'll always get cards that say that from me, and I mean it.
Love, Shane.

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:48 pm

Quote:
Am I a freak alone or are you a freak too?

Perhaps we're both freaks, because I'm exactly the same way. I don't know why.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:49 pm

I only write "love" for close family members, which is when I really mean it, so no, it doesn't bother me. With everyone else I write "sincerely."

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:52 pm

yvonnecs wrote:
Do you?
I do. I also can't stand saying it. I feel wildly weird and uncomfortable when I do, or if I write Love, myname and then the other person doesn't sign off the same.

I also have a thing where some names are REALLY hard for me to say out loud. I have no idea why. Am I a freak alone or are you a freak too?

OH me too! I really don't like doing it!
I started to recently.. as i've also started saying peoples names too. Good to know there are a few people out there ;)

It used to really REALLy embarass me to say someones name. I would call the person "Them" as opposed to "<name>.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:53 pm

BastetsEye wrote:
Yes. It feels false to write it, yet rude not to.

I'd much rather instead of putting :love, Me.
I could put :care, Me.

Unfortunately I imagine not many people would get it. I would then be asked about it, which would involve an awkward conversation that I really don't want to have.

Just "care" would be weird, since "love" is an accepted abbreviation for "with love," but there is no such abbreviation for "with caring." You could try "with affection" or "much affection," or something, or just "sincerely."

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:54 pm

Yeah, I have found it weird. I usually just write it anyway though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2008, 7:54 pm

I have no problem with it.

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2008, 7:59 pm

Weird...I never like putting "love" and when it happens I make myself put it. I have always put a heart instead.