Different Symptoms in Female v. Male Aspies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 5:12 am

This has been on my mind for a while (I'm female). Shadowbound's poll prompted me to ask it here. It seems to me that female aspies tend to have different symptom than male aspies, which may be responsible for what I believe is a significant underdiagnosis of AS in females.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

This table (sorry but I like lists) on help4aspergers.com seemed to me to be a good general summary of the differences that I've experienced. Any thoughts on it?
Link: Male v. Female Aspies

[This is by Rudy Simone, the author of a bunch of books on AS, including a new one 'Aspergirls' (can't wait to read this)].

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2010, 6:52 am

I can relate to most of that. The only thing that I don't do, is flap, run and bounce around, when I'm excited.

Villette
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2010, 7:44 am

Yup. That's for sure. My math is weak, I'm a bookworm and I do occasionally talk deeply about relationships, even though I don't understand them well. I stood out in essay-writing in school and have always been fond of analysis.

Eccentric - yes. And I don't get girly things like shopping. I always go to the bookstore instead, or eat. Strangely enough, a few people I'm not close to like me - the more liberal-minded people, the intellectual sort, even though I'm not the sort people like. I don't dress well either. Opinionated too, but now I've learnt to control myself.

And I have my mood swings. Male Aspies conceal emotions well that they don't seem to have any in public.

requin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jun 2010, 8:31 am

Am absolutely terrible at maths and tend to excel in anything involving language.
Honestly, I'm naturally melancholy but my moods can change instantaneously and can be fairly unpredictable.
Am a girly-girl but in the unicorns and bows sense, when shopping I can't stand being dragged into those chain stores in which all the clothes look the same. Also can't stand the noise and am not a fan of change rooms. The worst thing about shopping centres is not knowing where everybody else is moving yet being expected to move correctly.
Am obsessed with horror and anything dark and scary (especially movies!) and used to love reading and although I still enjoy it that obsession has been overtaken by films and the internet.

And I like to think that I'm a good mimic. Am known and have friends who appreciate me for being pretty weird - but unless in a loud and/or uncomfortable situation I can generally pass off as just being a little shy and awkward - which I've noticed guys don't have a tendency to do so well.