Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:05 pm

It's not uncommon to hear people in the Asperger's community respond to a question with the stock answer, "It depends; it's a spectrum," as if they were saying something novel and insightful. This is probably because Asperger's syndrome, high-functioning autism, low-functioning autism, and other shades of the pervasive developmental disorders are often referred to as the autistic spectrum. The idea that things aren't all or nothing—either yes or no, on or off—is anything but a new idea, and this subtlety applies to most complicated ideas. Philosophers have studied the dialectic for centuries.

Responding, "I think it's a spectrum," is not as ingenious as you might think.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:12 pm

Some people are just regurgitating the jargon they have heard. It is true that it is a spectrum though, I'm not saying that because I think it makes me sound smart. The word just works pretty well for describing it. I don't think saying that it's a spectrum sounds all that ingenious, it's an easy way to describe it to someone who is fairly ignorant about autism.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2007, 4:12 pm

I think people sometimes need to be reminded about the spectrum. It's not like having the mumps. People look for a diagnosis, hoping for a result maybe from a blood test - something that concrete. For them, it is ingenious, maybe revoluntary, as it was for me when I got here a year ago.

SeriousGirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:25 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Responding, "I think it's a spectrum," is not as ingenious as you might think.

What's the point of you bringing this to our attention?

Actually, I think there are aspie flavors. I haven't finished sorting them all out yet.

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:34 pm

Sometimes, things are said simply because they're correct. The only person attaching claims of novelty and insight to this observation regarding the Autism spectrum seems to be you, NeantHumain.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:36 pm

I use the "spectrum" concept when attempting to explain to people what Aspergers is..to the average uninformed person, Autism means the person can't communicate or function at all....So i tell them that there is a spectrum..on one end you may hardly be able to tell a person has it, and on the other end...there are the people like the grown man a friend of mine has to babysit during the day who can only say a few words and whatnot...

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:41 pm

Who said anyone thought it was ingenious? There ARE different types of stims done for the same reason. It is clear that there ARE deficits, and the brain wants everything to be connected! If it can, it WILL connect and use every little neuron! Some might get cross linked and create synesthesia, some may get linked to some specific logical center and create savant skills, like VERY good math skills. Some may get linked to main memory, etc... Apparantly, I guess they kind of get starved which can lead to depression, and they can feel GOOD if flooded. SO, AS people LOVE to learn! And HEY, language is one of the earliest, longest, and most necessary needs, so they tend to learn it well!

I could go on and talk about how fewer neurons in the amygdala may lead to a coarser resolution which leads to sensory skewing, etc....

That all leads to the SAME kind of situation leading to different symptoms. SO, it is an ASD! They try to cover everyone.

THERE, does THAT explain things? These ARE my theories based on some science and observation, but I doubt if it is far from the truth.

Steve

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:45 pm

as easy as it is to make such a blanket statement about autism...

it's apparently easier to just make OVER GENERALIZATIONS about autism...

hence the mantra.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 4:54 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:
Actually, I think there are aspie flavors. I haven't finished sorting them all out yet.

I hope I'm something good, like blueberry flavor. I'd hate to be... broccoli flavored or something. :p

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 5:22 pm

SeriousGirl wrote:

Seem to change over time in a particular person too.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2007, 5:40 pm

Sedaka wrote:
as easy as it is to make such a blanket statement about autism...

it's apparently easier to just make OVER GENERALIZATIONS about autism...

hence the mantra.

Ahh!! ! If only words,analogies, and illustrations were that simple!! !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_% ... guation%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 6:46 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
Some people are just regurgitating the jargon they have heard. It is true that it is a spectrum though, I'm not saying that because I think it makes me sound smart. The word just works pretty well for describing it. I don't think saying that it's a spectrum sounds all that ingenious, it's an easy way to describe it to someone who is fairly ignorant about autism.

I'm referring to when people in the Asperger's community referring to things other than autism as a spectrum and say nothing else but that.

To give a hypothetical example:
Quote:
Intelligence, I think it's a spectrum.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 6:55 pm

Well, it may sound trite and sophomoric to you but there are scores of people who still see existence in binaries. No, it's not a good answer if given alone. But it's true.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2007, 6:59 pm

KimJ wrote:
Well, it may sound trite and sophomoric to you but there are scores of people who still see existence in binaries. No, it's not a good answer if given alone. But it's true.

Most just see our deficiencies and not our strengths.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 7:10 pm

In the case of ASD, yes, even though "spectrum" is in the name. It sounds ridiculous but I have talked to grandparents and relatives that should know more about ASD than they appear. This woman the other day was saying something just dumb about her grandson. And they have to repeat the word spectrum to recognize that their beliefs are incorrect.
I think unfamiliarity or denial of the spectrum is a big factor in why people see ASD as a list of deficits ONLY and overlook the benefits, or neutrality of the differences.
But NeantHumain is referring to Aspie usage of the word outside of ASD.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2007, 7:41 pm

THAT is the point! I never asked to come into this world. If I was given a choice....NT or AS.... I would probably vote AS! SURE there can be problems(violent stims, self harming, some coordination deficits, sensory problems, social deficits), but there can be a LOT of benefits also.(interests, savant skills, mental improvement) As it happens, I only have modest benefits(interests, some improved mental abilities), and no real problems, outside of ones affecting me socially.

My BIGGEST problems were caused by not knowing! I thought I was just wierd, and maybe that I was the ONLY one. I mean I HAD to be the only one with so many wierd quirks! Right???? If you told me that I would eventually meet DOZENS that would tell me of THEIR wierd quirks, and even 3 would match mine, I would laugh you out of the room and say YEAH RIGHT! Yet some here have told me of over SEVEN!

Hey, my mother just told me that she called up a place I was at, and the guy said he knew me, and that I was far and away the nicest one to call him, out of HUNDREDS!
Unfortunately, I STILL have trouble socially!! !!

Oh well, I have heard that half the population isn't married, and most of the rest tends to divorce. And many friends are really acquaintances at best. Am I REALLY missing out?

Steve