Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 4:49 pm

Was in the supermarket earlier, was quite busy because it was lunchtime. There was someone in front of me, so I left about half a trolley length of space as I like a bit of space, and put the stuff I was buying on the belt. Couldn't reach a divider at that point so just waited. The person behind just started putting all her stuff down, then pushed her trolley into me (I'm assuming to try and get me to move forward). I was rocking back and forward on my feet a bit and every time I went forward she moved her trolley forward into me. People are so annoying. When I could reach a divider I put it down and she didn't say thanks. And as I was paying her trolley was like 2 inches from me. Why are people so impatient, it was pretty obvious I was pretty uncomfortable (I would have thought to the majority of people) yet she just couldn't back off a wee bit. Is it just me this happens to or is it relatively common among the average person that they have to stand or have the trolley really close to the person in front. Anyway minor rant over, I've been slightly overwhelmed all day which hasn't helped.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 5:57 pm

Sounds like some pretty rude people. In Canada if someone pushes a cart into you, both parties say sorry, even the person who was not at fault lol. They even apologize even if they don't hit you with their cart and I am often left wondering what they are even apologizing for because I am usually so spaced out. All the sorrys and thank you's certainly diffuse situations and make it a lot less stressful. I can see why what you described was so annoying.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 6:09 pm

Noca wrote:
Sounds like some pretty rude people. In Canada if someone pushes a cart into you, both parties say sorry, even the person who was not at fault lol. They even apologize even if they don't hit you with their cart and I am often left wondering what they are even apologizing for because I am usually so spaced out. All the sorrys and thank you's certainly diffuse situations and make it a lot less stressful. I can see why what you described was so annoying.

The British are usually pretty damn polite but some people are so rude it's ridiculous.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2015, 6:33 pm

Sometimes I almost envy my NT sister in that, "things I fantasize saying to my boss" sort of way. She is the quintessential American. Upon getting pushed with the cart, she'd push back, hard, and generally make the person's life miserable, all the while somehow appearing completely innocent. She's a master at that sort of thing, not that I think it is right (I consider it ...dishonest, on top of being rude?). Other times, she'll engage the person and somehow elicit an apology from them without ever directly pointing out what they did.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2015, 7:18 am

Some people are just unpleasant or thoughtless. Don't let it bother you too much. You could've have turned round and said "Excuse me!" or something like. Then asked her to stop if she did it again. No one has the right to invade your personal space but you should let them know when they do. They aren't all mind readers. :lol:

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2015, 8:39 am

I'm in Virginia, which is considered the South in America. If one party bumps another party, both are expected to say sorry. We also usually let a person go ahead of us if they have only one or two items.

Usually at an intersection with only stop signs, the person with the right of way gestures for the other person to go ahead anyway, and the person with the right of way waits. If two people driving are facing each other on a street where there's no room for both to pass, the person who hasn't gone as far pulls to the side, the other person goes along, both parties wave, and then the other person drives on. On a rural road, you open your driving hand in a short wave to anyone you pass on the road, whether they're driving, walking, or standing.

We also hold the door for one another, both genders.

When people don't do these things, we assume they're not from here or they're a teenager.