Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2015, 11:14 pm

So I was diagnosed a few months ago with ocd. I recently did psychological testing and was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and mild depression. Now the ocd diagnosis was not done by the same people, it was done at my mental health place I go to for counseling and a psychiatrist where as the psychological testing was done by a psychologist at a different company. So does that mean my official diagnosis is:
Ocd, GAD, SAD, and mild depression? Or is the ocd voided out now? (the psychologist was aware of my ocd diagnosis)

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 11:19 pm

That might be better answered by the diagnosticians. I don't think we are qualified to answer that question here at WP. But please let us know if you do find out from a person with the authority to be able to answer that.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 02 Nov 2015, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 11:24 pm

Ask the professionals at both places who gave you these diagnosis. Dont ask us.

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2015, 11:33 pm

skibum wrote:
That might be better answered by the diagnosticians. I don't think we are qualified to answer that question here at WP. But please let us know if you do find out from a person with the authority to be able to answer that.

I do intend to ask my counselor on a week or so when i see her next but I am just asking if any of you have a general idea how stuff like that works? Like how getting diagnosis from different places works.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2015, 11:59 pm

brandonb1312 wrote:
skibum wrote:

I do intend to ask my counselor on a week or so when i see her next but I am just asking if any of you have a general idea how stuff like that works? Like how getting diagnosis from different places works.
Oh, I apologize, I misunderstood your question. I actually don't know anything about how they determine which diagnosis overrules another. Sorry. But do let us know what you find out. It would be good to understand more on that.

Wreck It Ralph

LivingInParentheses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 6:49 pm

It is my belief that all diagnoses are valid and still would be considered to apply to you.

I've been diagnosed with glaucoma by an eye doctor, Hashimoto's thyroiditis by my general practitioner, cavities by my dentist, depression by an old psychologist years ago, social anxiety andn asperger's by a psychiatrist recently....

just because one doctor did not diagnose EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVERYTHING does not make any of them any less valid.

It is my understanding that a diagnosis is what it is. Unless you tell another doctor that you would like a second opinion about a standing diagnosis, they will probably not challenge it in my opinion.

I don't think the fact that the most recent psychiatrist didn't list OCD means you don't have it anymore. Like you said, they weren't aware of those tendencies. No one doctor can know everything about you.

Also it's important to note that a diagnosis doesn't mean you have something. It means they want to bill the insurance company and need a code to do so and codes go with diagnoses. I've had doctors "diagnose" me with stuff before just so insurance would cover additional tests so we could actually rule OUT the thing they "diagnosed" me with (in order to get insurance to cover the test!).... now in your case i'm sure that's not what we're talking about but just be sure you find out what your doctor(s) actually think you have as opposed to simply reading the diagnosis codes on your receipt/check out paperwork, that's all I'm saying. :)