Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Neuron9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2015, 10:15 am

I am starting to look into how music, for example learning an instrument or joining a choir, can help someone on the spectrum get along with a neurotypical world better.

Autism is a difference in the brain's construction, and music uses (and alters) a magnitude of different regions of the brain.

Could learning music be a way to help us relate to the world we live in without sacrificing who we are?

Please give your ideas, as well as sharing your experiences with music! Whether or not you feel your music making has positively (or negatively) affected your life, I want to know how music has been a part of the lives of other autistics!! (Thanks in advance :) )

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:19 am

I think learning instruments and music in general can help anybody, autistic or not.

I think music can serve as a bridge between the autistic person and the world. It already serves as a bridge between races and cultures.

I have heard it said that the first language was spoken through singing. I don't know if that's true, though.

Providing you have the interest, and the dedication, learning an instrument, and about music in general has no negatives.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:24 am

Being a musician was one of the things that kept me sane and alive as an Autistic person who did not know she had Autism. It is a great outlet and a great way to relieve stress as well as a fabulous way to express yourself and to communicate with others when other ways fail. And if you are really into it you do develop a kind of bond and camaraderie with other musicians especially if you have common specified musical interests. And music is so versatile, you can do it with others or alone and in so many different ways. And it soothes the soul.

Wreck It Ralph

Neuron9
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2015, 10:33 am

Thanks for your replies! ;) I should add that I am a music major at university, and am quite certain that music has been a great help for me in my life. I'm looking for perspectives outside my own.

For me, music has:
1) helped me connect with people (playing duets is goal oriented as well as social, as is playing in band; and you don't have to talk while you're playing because you can't!)
1.5) helped me connected with people with interests (people can be so boring)
2) gave me a productive and fulfilling way to be by myself (I love practising)
3) given me joy (listening to music can be so fulfilling, as can performing)
4) allowed me to investigate who I am in a realm without words (improvisation, composition . . .)

I also have a sense that the impact of music goes beyond these easily identifiable ones, and have taken some books out of the library to learn more about the brain and how it is different in people with autism as well as how music alters it :D

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:39 am

Neuron9 wrote:

I also have a sense that the impact of music goes beyond these easily identifiable ones, and have taken some books out of the library to learn more about the brain and how it is different in people with autism as well as how music alters it :D
Very cool. Let us know what you learn about that. :)

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:45 am

Yep....music does provide a bridge for people to socially communicate when words fail them.

I have experienced that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:56 am

Music is probably a great way to both use autistic tendencies (to focus on stuff that interests you), and to over come autism, and learn to cooperate with others on both a conscious (fellowship), and unconscious (actual group performance) levels.

Wish I could play an instrument.

Have gotten involved with singing (notably in a local musical show). And with playing recorded music in public (ie deejaying).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

Naturalplastic you can learn to play any instrument your heart desires. I know a woman who became quite a decent cello player and she started learning in her fifties. Even at 115 there is no reason why you should not be able to learn to play an instrument.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 03 Nov 2015, 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 10:58 am

There are times when music opens the floodgates for me.

It enables me to go beyond my mundane self.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:08 am

I play the piano and the ocarina [badly], and I love singing and music!

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 11:19 am

Well I do love music but just doesn't seem I have it in me to learn an instrument, I certainly can't read music. I mostly just got made fun of for sucking in band class and never did join choir as it didn't appeal to me in the least. Maybe for some learning music would be helpful but for that you have to be able to learn music.

Aside from that though it is a very major part of my life. I listen to a lot of music often and I do enjoy concerts, but yeah it is interest in music and deep enjoyment of it that has helped me through some difficult times. Metal is probably my favorite but it's a vast genre and I certainly gravitate towards certain styles of metal more than others. But I listen to plenty of music that certainly is not metal as well.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:02 pm

When I was singing every day, I was very emotionally stable and able to handle dealing with a lot of people. It definitely helped me keep stress levels down. I find it more effective than meditation.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:08 pm

If there wasn't music, at least the music I like, I would go crazy, and more or less crazy depressed all the time, I know personally that people I know get really depressed from not listening to music which lifts the mood most of the time, and just sticks to their smoking which is dragging me down.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm

You reminded me about music! Fantastic!

Am listening to "Real" by Years & Years, dancing in the kitchen, and nobody can see me!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm

underwater wrote:
You reminded me about music! Fantastic!

Am listening to "Real" by Years & Years, dancing in the kitchen, and nobody can see me!
Yay! That is awesome! :D

Wreck It Ralph

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 12:50 pm

My experience with music?

When reading posts certain phrases will stick out to me, and I have no idea why, but as I read them (in my head) as they are in songs (complete with the background music) I have listened to and then continue the song in my head.

Not sure if this was really what you were asking for but :shrug: It happened just now. Someone posted a sentence with "back in time" in it and suddenly eiffel 65's song come into my mind for no reason.

I do like music. I listen to a lot. We did learn keyboard in school and I enjoyed that.