Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Adam55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2015, 10:37 am

i've got a letter saying i've been randomly picked for jury in court, but being the aspie i am i'm scared of people and i've never done anything like this before, any advice would be appreciated.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 10:49 am

It's a very important role in society, and obviously most other people serving on juries will not have done it before either. I think you should attend if you are capable. Although I do think it will be quite boring and some cases can go on for a very long time too.

There are reasons for exclusions, there should be information included with the letter you received. Reasons include mental or physical disabilities, studies and pre-booked holidays. All of these would require evidence from a third party, doctor, school, tickets for flights etc.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 10:54 am

Adam55 wrote:
i've got a letter saying i've been randomly picked for jury in court, but being the aspie i am i'm scared of people and i've never done anything like this before, any advice would be appreciated.

If there's a chance you would not be able to sit through the entire trial, you should let the selection board know this. The very worst juror is one who causes a mistrial by having to drop out midway.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 11:00 am

Am an aspie myself - have gotten summoned twice in my life. The first time I had to serve.But it was not a big deal. The second time I went through the paces with all of the other dozens of prospective jurors - and neither lawyer picked me.So I didnt have to serve. YAYYY!! !! So that time was even less of a big deal.

But if it really matters to you then maybe you can get a shrink to sign a piece paper that you can show to the court ahead of time that states that you're not psychologically up to the task of serving on a jury.

You can probably get out of it that way.