Why do I say stupid things like this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

97AlanD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2018, 11:35 pm

One time when I was 13, when I was at the YMCA at the lobby, the TV screen that was listing upcoming events said something about March 12, which is my birthday. So I said "March 12 is my birthday!" To the woman at the lobby. She said "it is? Cool!" And the lady didn't know why I said that. my parents looked at me like "wtf did you say that?". I've said other stupid things like that too. What is it called when autistic people say unnecessary things like that?

Last edited by 97AlanD on 26 Aug 2018, 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2018, 11:53 pm

Nothing stupid there. The connection between the tv event and what you said was real, and we are allowed to get a bit excited about our birthdays, that's not stupid at all. Sounds like you have internalised a lot of disapproval that may say rather more about the disapprovers than you.

Untangling that can take some time and often benefits from some help from a counsellor who is older than yourself and very experienced in family dynamics, especially dynamics that cause the child inner pain.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 1:58 am

I do this a lot, then afterwards think, "That was stupid, why did I say that?!" For instance, in June I took the bus to a place where I was working on a project. The lady running the project came up to me when I arrived and asked, "How are you?" and I responded, "The walls at the bus station are too yellow." I hate yellow because it hurts my eyes, and I was still fixated on the unpleasant experience of having to walk by the yellow walls, so that was the first thing that came out of my mouth. The lady knew I'm autistic, so she just smiled and said, "okay".

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 2:04 am

I would like it if people were more accepting of differences in the autistic regard.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 11:02 am

Why is that stupid? You are just enthusiastic.

sithwitch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Aug 2018, 12:39 pm

I'm far too familiar with silly feeling that gets dredged up after those around me fail to recognize why I shared some thought. Its even worse when they're dismissive about it. There's nothing wrong with relating and connecting to something; I tend to forget that others don't see the same patterns as me :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 1:28 pm

You could have replied to your parents and that other person by pointing to the TV screen and just saying "[whatever the event advertised was] is taking place on March 12th which happens to be my birthday". That way you would have looked like a sane (if overly excited young) person.

Purpledragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Aug 2018, 1:54 pm

Is that stupid? I do it and I'm 43. :lol: And I also do it if I see my birthday at a clock or something else. It's sort of a childish joy. Oh well, I will just continue being me.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 2:08 pm

Oml I do that alllll the time lmao. I'll just blurt out whatever is on my mind and people are staring at me like "where the hell did that come from?" and I gotta be like "I dunno man Im having a stupid moment" and laugh it off. A lot of times I connect things in my head that seem related, but whoever Im talking to has no clue what Im talking about.
Don't worry, I pretty much over analyze and regret everything that comes out of my mouth and Im a lot older than 13.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 2:12 pm

When I think of all the cringe-inducing things I've said around my own parents as a teenager that were certainly more justified than the OP's parents, I just want to crawl into a hole in the ground. Back then I would ask them why I was always doing that, and back then they didn't know. No one really did. My parents might might know now, but it's still painful to recall.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 9:47 pm

Most likely due to the symptom of impulsive speech.. it comes right out of your mouth as you think it, before you have time to even process it as a thought and consider whether you want to say it aloud or not. I do it sometimes. At worst it's an awkward embarrassing moment.. at best it's hilarious - many of the very best laughs I've ever gotten have been to some instantaneous autistic response to something with the perfect one liner.

As for my birthday, I've never made that particular comment.. but I do think it when I see the numbers on a sign, address, or clock etc.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 9:53 pm

through painful experience, I've learnt to keep my trap shut. at least in public. :oops:

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2018, 10:06 pm

It's part of the reason I don't talk very much, my ability to say something inappropriate is unmatched. (The other is that I'm horrible at small talk and hate it).

I try not to offend people, but I have a knack for it.

Most of my socializing is via internet. I have time to think of what to say and how to say it. It doesn't stop it from happening, but it reduces it at least.

While I've come to accept it will happen, and I will try and make things better by trying to say something witty, it will gnaw at me for hours. This is where a horrible memory comes in handy, or it should, I do have a good memory for what things I've told people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2018, 10:11 pm

that reminds me of a Gary Larson ["the far side" creator] quote, "some people mistake a lousy memory for a clear conscience."

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2018, 10:29 am

...I'd kind of agree with the people who comforted you - or maybe I do it myself :D !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2018, 1:19 pm

That's not a stupid thing to say at all!

Like everyone else has said in this thread already, I shall say it again; You were just happy! :mrgreen:

The sort of childish joy is something some people just don't understand, but I consider to be a wonderful trait!

Level 2 ASD diagnosed