Should marijuana really be depicted to help Autism in media?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 11:18 pm

Sorry if this topic is not appropriate but its not quite what you think, I am not promoting that marijuana be used to treat autism but rather asking what people opinion is of media doing just that.

I have seen an ever increasing amount of media coverage that depicts marijuana which is illegal drug in most of the country as being safe to treat autism and some even promoting the use of the drug on children. Take this video for example which is clip from the news,

and this one,

Should the news media really be publishing things like this? Whats you guys opinion?

I am myself a drug user but I don't know how I feel about promoting its use amongst children, also I mean no offense with this topic. This is afterall a topic deemed appropriate for the local news so I was hoping for a constructive debate about this.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 11:56 pm

Well when the alternative is more or less catatonia or inadequately palleated epilepsy what case could anybody make against it?

I don't feel like letting altitude exposure give me melanoma so there's a drop of hash oil beside my left eye as I type this. Makes me feel a bit goofier than my mood would otherwise ordain but who wants cancer on their face?

The majority of kids with healthy levels of curiosity were going to try for themselves anyway.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 12:00 am

cberg wrote:
Well when the alternative is more or less catatonia what case could anybody make against it?

True,

My personal thought on this matter is this, Is it problem only because marijuana is illegal and taboo or is it a problem cause it actually has negitive effects?

Honestly only time will answer that question as it becomes more legal and less taboo.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 12:11 am

dcj123 wrote:
cberg wrote:
Well when the alternative is more or less catatonia what case could anybody make against it?

True,

My personal thought on this matter is this, Is it problem only because marijuana is illegal and taboo or is it a problem cause it actually has negitive effects?

Honestly only time will answer that question as it becomes more legal and less taboo.

Any drug or substance can be abused. But if there are legitimate medicinal reasons, then I don't see what the problem is.

I used to take Ritalin for my ADHD as a kid, and it did help me to focus. Years later I found out that some of my friends were abusing out to get some kind of drug buzz.

To answer the post, Marijuana may help some autistic folk. It does not help me, but it makes my anxiety worse. In fact, I'm most stable being drug and alcohol free. So I don't use drugs. I rarely ever take Advil for a headache even.

I think using autistic people to advance the legalization movement would not be appropriate. No 2 autistic people are completely alike. So it would seem to be grasping at straws.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 2:18 am

Except for vaccinations (lol) I haven't taken any RX'd anything since I had some REALLY bonkers disscociative hallucinations on antibiotics for strep.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 2:58 am

cberg wrote:
Except for vaccinations (lol) I haven't taken any RX'd anything since I had some REALLY bonkers disscociative hallucinations on antibiotics for strep.

LOL! Strep throat is a real pain in the neck! XD

Alright, enough bad puns from me. Wow, those must've been some pretty strong antibiotics they put ya on. Yeah, I had strep like about 3 summers in a row when I was a kid, and they gave me penicillin. Worked every time, fortunately. Ear infections are probably the worst, though. :(

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 3:09 am

it could give the nutters and anti weed fanatics an(other) excuse to bash autistics. :|

if it works, publish it.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 3:21 am

marcb0t wrote:
cberg wrote:

Alright, enough bad puns from me. Wow, those must've been some pretty strong antibiotics they put ya on. Yeah, I had strep like about 3 summers in a row when I was a kid, and they gave me penicillin. Worked every time, fortunately. Ear infections are probably the worst, though. :(

I got out of bed at something like 4AM, the first thing I noticed was that apparently everything smaller than the furniture in my house was gone and had been replaced by a smudgy tenement-era bowling alley. In place of the scoreboard was my Afrikaner metalhead friend from high school cackling at me like she was the wicked witch of the west or... something...

I defy anybody to create a substance THAT hallucinogenic using marijuana.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 3:25 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
it could give the nutters and anti weed fanatics an(other) excuse to bash autistics. :|

if it works, publish it.

TBH I've gotten really high with a solid majority of the right-wingiest people I know. Physiology *probably* has nothing to do with partisanship.

Upon further reflection, I think I might actually know more democrats against legalization than republicans.

Last edited by cberg on 28 Nov 2015, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 3:43 am

cberg wrote:
marcb0t wrote:
cberg wrote:

I got out of bed at something like 4AM, the first thing I noticed was that apparently everything smaller than the furniture in my house was gone and had been replaced by a smudgy tenement-era bowling alley. In place of the scoreboard was my Afrikaner metalhead friend from high school cackling at me like she was the wicked witch of the west or... something...

Nutters, and Stoners, and Strep... Oh my! :P

Wait, your Afrikaner metalhead friend was the hallucination? 8O

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 5:01 am

Nope, I was hallucinating the second I woke up.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 11:07 am

Look at the side effects and risks of Zyprexa, an antipsychotic surely given to lots of autistic kids as well as every other condition under the sun, then look at the side effects and risks of marijuanna. Now that you have done that, you can realize how ridiculous it is to demonize marijuanna as dangerous while being completely okay with prescribing "safe" Zyprexa like candy. This will help you to no longer take anyone, including health professionals seriously when they are completely okay with Zyprexa but think that Marijuanna is some toxic substance forged by satan himself.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 11:18 am

I have no interests in any drugs at all, and I don't trust the media really much anymore, so I'll personally have to say no.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 8:19 pm

This gives you rights to make such decisions for others? This information is not fabricated by disinformation schills, media is reporting it. Distrusting media has nothing to do with ignoring scientific fact. You would prefer the media lie to you about others' real experiences?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 8:21 pm

Noca wrote:
Look at the side effects and risks of Zyprexa, an antipsychotic surely given to lots of autistic kids as well as every other condition under the sun, then look at the side effects and risks of marijuanna. Now that you have done that, you can realize how ridiculous it is to demonize marijuanna as dangerous while being completely okay with prescribing "safe" Zyprexa like candy. This will help you to no longer take anyone, including health professionals seriously when they are completely okay with Zyprexa but think that Marijuanna is some toxic substance forged by satan himself.

Zyprexa causes liver failure. You're all entitled to check a physician's drug reference...

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:41 pm

Yes, marijuana should be depicted to help autism in the media, because it's the truth. It might not help you and I struggling with social skills, but for the more severely autistic people on the spectrum, especially children, I've known it to be used effectively to calm them down. I'm from Portland, and it's all legal around here.