Caseworker... Call her again or wait until appointment

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 12:01 pm

I called my new caseworker and said I wanted to know my current diagnosis so I could discuss it on my upcoming appointment. It did not contain autism. But she said ,"it changed slightly because of the transition to DSM 5, some disorders have changed a lot, have you been keeping up with autism's changes?" I said "Yes, because enough therapists have accused me of having it." She changed the subject.

I feel shy about discussing this, but should return call my caseworker again, or wait until my appointment in a couple of weeks?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

Angnix wrote:
I called my new caseworker and said I wanted to know my current diagnosis so I could discuss it on my upcoming appointment. It did not contain autism. But she said ,"it changed slightly because of the transition to DSM 5, some disorders have changed a lot, have you been keeping up with autism's changes?" I said "Yes, because enough therapists have accused me of having it." She changed the subject.

I feel shy about discussing this, but should return call my caseworker again, or wait until my appointment in a couple of weeks?

Your caseworker is just that: a caseworker. It is her job to accept your calls and e-mail messages between meetings (examinations, assessments and discussions). So, she should appreciate your communicating with her in a way that gives her time to prepare properly for your next meeting.

Your description of the DSM-5 criteria seems a little wonky to me. The DSM-5 criteria are actually broader than the DSM-IV criteria. So, I don't understand how they would use the change in criteria as an excuse to avoid a diagnosis of autism.

I am also a little unsure of your statement that other diagnosticians have "accused" you of being autistic. Are you trying to avoid a diagnosis of autism? If so, I doubt you would be wanting to continue the discussion with your caseworker about why you aren't diagnosed. If you aren't avoiding a diagnosis, just ask the caseworker if they are pursuing such a diagnosis. Tell them that you are seeking such a diagnosis unless they have reason to suspect otherwise.

Good luck either way!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 6:39 pm

I would recommend talking to a therapist about it. In my experience case workers don't diagnose people. They are not qualified because they don't have the training. Therapists and doctors are the only people qualified to diagnose people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2016, 3:39 pm

You should do what's right for you.