Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 3:06 pm

When people have Aspergers, do they have young minds? I'm talking about being younger than your real age.

Ysengrimus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jan 2016, 3:20 pm

Define "young minds".
If you mean that they have reduced intellectual learning capabilities, then in most cases the answer is no.
Asperger's people could be "young-minded" emotionally, but that is not an absolute. The spectrum is varied. (and the diagnosis of Asperger's syndrome was removed from the DSM-5 in 2013)
Personally, I know I have interests similar to those of children, if on a superficial level. I watch children's cartoons, and I carry around silly putty with me everywhere, and I am 21.
But the majority of people my age watch children's cartoon, at least in the U.S.A.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 10:12 pm

I feel a lot younger and even look a lot younger than my age.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 10:16 pm

I used to look lots younger than my age. Then, I hit my late 40's--- and I caught up fast--to my detriment! Now, I look about 55, and I'm 55.

People should glory in looking young for their age.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 1:10 am

Am i Immature? Yes. Can i handle the pressure and responsibilities of my peers? No. Do i have the idealistic thoughts and expectations on the world that a child may have? you bet.

According to my IQ test im behind in comparison to most of my peers but i excel in the spatial and visual processing.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 2:50 am

From all the comments I have read over the years regarding this, the answer is usually yes. I know I feel more like a little kid a lot of the time.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 1:02 pm

Supposedly people's social maturity level is about 2/3 of the norm for their age. So a 30 yr. old aspie would be about as mature as a 20 yr old.

That's not meant to be precise, but I have used it to understand where my daughter in her late 20s might be, developmentally.

Myself, I have felt older than my age for many years, but that might be due to other factors. Fortunately, I have a spouse with whom I hope to ride off into the sunset of dementia together.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 2:06 pm

I can be very emotionally immature and have meltdowns and get upset over little things. I also like kids' books/movies and get really excited about simple things, like a child might.

Lunami
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2016, 3:14 pm

I've always felt much younger than I am, and people usually think I'm about 8 years younger than I am also.

My interests and friends have always seemed to be those of someone more immature, but it's what I naturally like. Then again I've always said I want to be a kid forever! :D

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 4:49 pm

Ya, I seem to be more intrested in things "below" my age group. And I also look rather young for being 20. To a point I have been mistaken for being a teen sometimes. :roll:

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 6:06 pm

according to my testing...i'm at the 12ish year old level. I really do feel that way...like the movie BIG with Tom Hanks.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 1:07 am

I feel younger than my age & I'm 45. I think young too, I can't think & act like my age, I feel like I'm in my 20s or late 20s, I look young too, I hate it!! I feel like I'm frozen in time & everybody else getting older. My baby nephew is not a baby or a little boy anymore, he's a young man, he turned 16 a week before Christmas.

I like watching kid shows on the Disney channel, I like watching adult tv shows, but it hard to understand adult language, one of my shows is Grey's Anatomy.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 1:12 am

Usually I thought myself as an 8 year old, or a 22 year old. A child, or an adult. But never a teenager.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 1:13 am

No

The idea of set behavior for a given age is just stereotypical nonsense. We all learn things at our own pace based on when we encounter life enriching scenarios. See the young man sittin' in the old man's bar, waitin' for his turn to die. :skull:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 1:48 am

Noca wrote:
I feel a lot younger and even look a lot younger than my age.
Same here. I process things intellectually at my chronological age, which is 49, but I process things emotionally at the age of a young child. My mental age capacity is that of a young teen. I also look and genuinely feel much younger than my age. I think I experience and interpret and understand many things from a much younger age perspective. But Intellectually I am very mature, either right along my chronological age or sometimes a little above it.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 2:17 am

Feyokien wrote:
No

The idea of set behavior for a given age is just stereotypical nonsense. We all learn things at our own pace based on when we encounter life enriching scenarios. See the young man sittin' in the old man's bar, waitin' for his turn to die. :skull:
Perhaps, but they have found actual physiological differences in the brain which show that the Autistic brain is actually emotionally younger than its NT counterpart.

Wreck It Ralph