Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2016, 3:25 pm

like for example a walk around the hallways.

issues with sensory issues, anger issues with autism, having trouble with school work.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 3:30 pm

No breaks, just beatings back in the good old days.

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2016, 3:32 pm

In elementary school we had recess after lunch. Nothing like that in middle school or high school though.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2016, 3:38 pm

LocksAndLiqueur wrote:
In elementary school we had recess after lunch. Nothing like that in middle school or high school though.

you guys arent getting what im saying.

i meant like mini breaks just for you with ur issues to help you not meltdown or something

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 3:39 pm

I had sessions with the Special Needs Lady, either one-to-one or in a small group of other children who also had special needs. I enjoyed those.

But I only had those as a younger child. When I got to a teenager I didn't really need "breaks".

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 4:05 pm

Sure. I used to fix electronics for a teacher I knew. Its been decades but I'm sure I got something in return.

I used to duck into history teacher's room to play speed chess all the time. Interestingly enough, I don't recall actually taking classes from either teacher.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 4:11 pm

Could you not ask for breaks like that, or just ask to go to the toilet and go for wander for a few minutes?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 5:19 pm

NO. Neither me nor ANYBODY got any break but lunch. And by high school teachers were very reluctent to give toilet breaks because students abused them to use drugs.

As far as issues they were not called issues but your personal s**t and personal is exactly how they were though of, you were expected not to burden others with them and figure out a way to correct these "flaws" on your own.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 Feb 2016, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 5:25 pm

I did. I hated it because I was the only one who got them and it made me feel abnormal and it was humiliating. I was sent to the library to read for like ten minutes and in 6th grade I didn't mind it so much because I didn't like the student teacher and the work was hard so having a break from it was fine. But there were times I refused it because didn't want to stop what I was doing if I was so into it and having fun. At home I was allowed breaks from home work and that was fine because I worked hard and it was just us alone and there were no other kids so I didn't see how they did their homework. My brothers got breaks too so it wasn't any different for me.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2016, 5:32 pm

random1 wrote:
like for example a walk around the hallways.

issues with sensory issues, anger issues with autism, having trouble with school work.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ....... No, I got no kind of accommodations

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 6:02 pm

No. They never gave anyone breaks in the 1970s.

I just went away into myself and waited for it to be over.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 6:42 pm

If I would act up, I would get thrown out of class. Sometimes, I was sent to the guidance counselor; rarely, I was sent to the principal's office. After a while, I was sent to the "resource room."

MidnightLupin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Feb 2016, 7:00 pm

I was allowed to have breaks in school but I didn't really use them since itd make me stick out more. I made do find not using them.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 7:12 pm

I got none at all. Elementary school was a living hell because of that. Unlike middle and high school, where you only had to do 50 minutes in a class, changed classed every hour and could pick the desk you got for that day. In elementary school, you where in class for up to 2 hours at a time and you went back to the same class room all day, every day. And you where assigned a desk for the year and if it was in a bad location. You're screwed. I would ask to go to the bathroom about an hour in the middle of the class session and the teacher would take 5 min off my recess time for doing it, but I had to do it or otherwise, I'd go stir crazy. Luckily, Taking breaks was never a problem in middle and high school because the class periods where short enough to avoid problems.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 7:14 pm

Adamantium wrote:
No. They never gave anyone breaks in the 1970s.

I just went away into myself and waited for it to be over.

I never took a break or a day off. That continued into my work. I probably should have but I did not know any better. I wonder if this is a factor in all the health woes I have gone through the past year.

A funny story. As with regular school I had a perfect attendance in Hebrew school. At the end of the term they had an awards ceremony. I did not attend because I felt I did what I had to do, why attend a stupid awards ceremony?
My mom had to accept my Perfect Attendence award. :oops:

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
I got none at all. Elementary school was a living hell because of that. Unlike middle and high school, where you only had to do 50 minutes in a class, changed classed every hour and could pick the desk you got for that day. In elementary school, you where in class for up to 2 hours at a time and you went back to the same class room all day, every day. And you where assigned a desk for the year and if it was in a bad location. You're screwed. I would ask to go to the bathroom about an hour in the middle of the class session and the teacher would take 5 min off my recess time for doing it, but I had to do it or otherwise, I'd go stir crazy. Luckily, Taking breaks was never a problem in middle and high school because the class periods where short enough to avoid problems.

In my junior high school as middle school was called then I risked getting beat up if I used the bathrooms. In high school the bathrooms were jammed with people smoking cigarettes and marijuana. You could not breath in there. I peed only if I had gym that day otherwise I held it in until I got home.