Yes, other (specify in response) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
YES, multiple wars 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
I don't know 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 54

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 7:10 pm

Following on from my thread (in the autism politics section) where I hypothesise that autism may be related to transgenerational trauma, I decided to run this poll.

-Here "ancestors" could be parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents.

-I'm only counting wars since 1900.

-Civilian victims or casualties can be included. Holocaust survivors to be included under World War 2.

-If this doesn't apply to you, please still vote. 'No' votes are as important as 'yes' votes.

Feel free to add personal stories, but avoid detailing anything horrible or graphic or triggering please. Many of us are sensititive.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 7:13 pm

I voted 'yes' to World War 2 because my grandparents were conscripted.

I don't actually know if they were involved in any battles - like a lot of returning servicemen they tended not to talk about it. I believe one served in Burma and one in North Africa, but I could be wrong.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 8:51 pm

My mum's dad and my dad's dad were both stationed in England during WWII.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 9:01 pm

I don't actually know.

Maternal grandparents are basically toddlers around WW2.

Paternal grandparents and great grandparents don't appear to had been fought in any war.

I heard no war stories IRL at all, or anything related like being closely related to any casualty or a witness of whatever tragedy.

They're either musicians, farmers, nurses, teachers, or even merchants, and local politicians.
Or kids during those times.

And don't know anything past that, except that my ancestors don't appear to be soldiers nor had fought in any wars.

And I don't know any relatives who are of any casualties of any war.
I would've likely known if it ever been mentioned and if that's the case since death/causes of deaths along lives before death is sometimes talked about around reunions and events.

As for why some of them either owned a sword or a rifle, it's more like for hunting or household defence.

I don't know. Unlikely.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 10:50 pm

My grandfather was in the Navy during WWII. I don't know if it was a traumatic experience for him. It's not something he ever talked about. He was a career Navy officer.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 10:56 pm

My mum's dad fought in WWII. He was a right a***hole who blamed his abusive behaviour on what happened to him in the war but wouldn't actually talk about happened.

My dad was ready to go to Vietnam but in the end he wasn't conscripted.

Brian0787
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2024, 11:10 pm

My grandfather on my mom's side was drafted during World War II right before he finished high school. My mom tells me he was never able to get his high school diploma after which I think is sad and angers me given his service. I have a feeling though this probably occurred alot to those who were drafted before finishing school. He surived the war and went to work at a brake factory for many, many years and was a wonderful father to my mom. I was 8 when he passed away so never got to hear of any stories from the war. He was a wonderful grandfather though from the memories I have.

I have distant relatives who fought for Germany during the 1st World War on my Dad's side (believe it's on great grandmother's side) but don't have many stories. My great grandfather on my Dad's side emigrated to the United States during the late 1920's from Germany. My Grandfather (on Dad's side) told me stories of how bad inflation was in Germany during that time period after the war. I still have distant relatives that are living in France and Germany today.

"In this galaxy, there’s a mathematical probability of three million Earth-type planets. And in all the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that, and perhaps more...only one of each of us. Don’t destroy the one named Kirk." - Dr. Leonard McCoy, "Balance of Terror", Star Trek: The Original Series.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 12:19 am

Both Grandfathers were in the Army in WW2. In the case of the one on my mom's side, Army-Airforce (before it was 2 separate divisions). My grandpa on my mom's side was stationed various places in The United States before going to England. He told a story of a Nazi plane being shot down the first day or, so he was there. Not too far away from his base. He was always proud of his service and played his own part in defeating The Nazi's.

My Dad was in The Navy during Vietnam, but did not see any action. He was stationed in Alaska, then later Latin America.

SendInTheClowns
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2024, 12:36 am

My maternal and paternal grandfathers fought in WW1, on the Western Front, the Battle of the Somme. Both came home safely after 4 years in that terrible war.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 4:00 am

Dad was in the RAF in WW2. Wouldn't have thought of him as an ancestor though. No information about military stuff further back than that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 4:27 am

LOl a tarot reader once said they thought I was some kind of crazy viking warrior in the viking ages in a past like, said I could have been a berserker, but like I am for sure no viking so Idk what they were talking about. But it was I guess interesting to get the tarot reading, but well I doln't believe in that stuff.

But if I did believe it apprently I was a crazy viking warrior in my past life, and had a big ole beard. Just makes me wonder was I a man with a glolrious beard or a bearded lady with a glorious beard. The psychics will never say lol.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 4:40 am

IDK my family is not so open from all of where we came from, both my parents sides so Id don't really know what heritage I am supposed to have. I feel a dna test could be interesting, but apprently my sister kept getting rejected when she sent her spit sample of dna to one of those ancestory companies they kept saying it had to be fake and black listed her for sending impossible DNA...like what the f**k does that mean? All she did was spit into the tube to send it in and they told her, that her dna was not possible and black listed her when she asked more questions about....what the f**k is that.

So if they rejected all her samples would they do the same to mine....lol are me and my sister actually aliens lol. Cause seems like they really did not like my sisters dna she sent in. Like they litterally blacklisted her from sending it in again but she swears she did not do anything to it and that is just how it keeps coming back. So yeah I kind of want to see if I sent in my DNA if it will get the same response as my sisters. That said they already have a jar of my muscle in a jar somewhere with a chunk they took from my leg...I consented but getting put under for the surgery was weird, I recall I was anxious but the nurse helped me relax when I thought I couln't she asked me some nonsense question and while I was trying to answer it they just put me out and I woke up hours later after that being all like woah, wait did it already happen my leg is awfully sore so I suppose so. I imagine it would not have been pleasant if I was awake for the muscle biopsy. But they wanted it because females dont usally have muscular dystrophy, but they have implied I may be a case of a female with some form of MD they don't understand yet...so part of me fears if someday I wont be able to walk anymore because of it..but I don;t even know what it is and neither do the doctors who have looked at it and always determine I am healthy enough. to not worry, but they always warn it could come with a cost eventually they juust haven't seen it before so they don't know what it will do as I age. But uhh I am a bit worried my legs will stop working before I am ready to die and in that case I would like a scooter old people weelchair. To drive around on it.

Just juust seems some doctors think, I gotta end up in a weelchair, but maybe so...like I can't even go for a leasure ride on a bike without feeling like too much effort, I can bareley ride.....so weak I probably ride my bike the slowest you have ever seen someone ride a bike on the trail and I have to take many breaks usually there are ducks or other aquatic birds to pretend to look at when you juust need a break from riding. Idk I think I will get more on bike rides when its cooler out for the falll, if someone is creepy juust ride my bike away and and I guess be able to defend myself around the pysco killer or be able to run, run, run away.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 7:49 am

My family was in multiple wars

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2024, 7:50 am

my family was in multiple wars.

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2024, 4:25 am

No, none of them did. My parents and I have only experienced peace time in our country. My grandparents experienced WW2. My country was occupied from April 9th 1940 to May 8th 1945. Our 7 fighter planes were shot down immediately. Oscarsborg Fort fought when Blücher arrived in Oslofjorden. And that was it. All fighting done after that was done by small militia groups committing acts of sabotage, like the famous heavy water operation on Rjukan. My grandparents never fought in the war, but my grandfather's sister and her husband were active in the resistence, and he helped with the distribution of the illegal papers the resistence published.

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

Bestiola
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2024, 6:55 am

My grandpa faked he needed appendicitis surgery so he wouldn't be drafted in WWII.