Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

NeoHaven
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Nov 2010, 11:22 pm

I have a neighbor who's son is autistic, but she's in denial over it and refuses to get him any sort of help. It's very sad, I have tried to help them but she refuses everything I offer.

What can I do?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:00 am

Let her learn the hard way.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 12:59 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Let her learn the hard way.

You may have to.

UNLESS--the child is somehow being put in harm's way by her refusing to get him any help.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 1:08 am

Hello :)

You don't mention how well you know your neighbors, do you know them well or just see them once in a while outside, etc? and why do you think her son is autistic, what are the characteristics you see in him?

Shadi

fb5b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2010, 1:16 am

Not the easiest thing for a mother to take though, someone saying "Hello my name is....... I think your son is autistic." It's up to her to do what she feels is best for the child, perhaps she's scared of all the generalisations and labels that go with a diagnosis of autism.

NeoHaven
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2010, 1:46 am

We have known each other well for 9 years.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2010, 1:59 am

NeoHaven wrote:
We have known each other well for 9 years.

I was thinking of telling you maybe you could offer to babysit him and then you could get to know him better and see if he is actually autistic or just shy, but since you've known them for so long I will assume you have noticed a few characteristics in their son.

I don't know if this is possible, but obviously you would like to help, if he is old enough to go to school maybe you could talk with his teacher and mention it, then if he/she notices some traits as well maybe he/she could talk to the parents, maybe they would look into it more if it was coming from a teacher.