Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FlySwine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Oct 2016, 3:29 am

Are aspies more able to detect fakeness as in false laughter for example?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 4:01 am

I was watching a video clip of the Jimmy Fallon show with him interviewing someone and in the comments section they were saying how fake his laugher was. But I didn't pick up on that at all.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 4:03 am

^^^ All American talkshow hosts that I've seen have super fake laughs, so I guess I can pick up on it. I quite enjoy Jimmy Fallon but yeah, his whole conversational style is very false.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 4:18 am

Hmm. I think for me it depends on the situation and the individual. I often seem to pick up certain cues others dont seem to pick up but some what are perceived as obvious signs will often fly above my head. I am generally skeptical of most people so i probably have created a more in depth internal mechanism to look past the surface. However now and again someone will fly under that radar and ends up not going very well. Also when someone is laughing i will often scan the corners of the eyes, because apparently genuine laughter will enhance the creases in the corner of the eyes whereas fake laughter often doesn't do this. Some people just give off a certainly bodily vibe that sends my alarm bells ringing. Its hard to explain everything as there is a lot going on all at the same time! lol... Im good at picking up sometimes but can miss it all together other times. its science in progress! hehe :?

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 4:23 am

I don't have a problem picking it up. You have to be able to understand facial expressions, voice sounds, speech patterns, eye contact and sarcasm. I will also get a "feeling" when around them.

The thing is, you have to be around people for awhile in order to see if the person is normally a "fake" person or if it's just an act. People will act fake to try to fit into a group.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:12 am

Uncle wrote:
I often seem to pick up certain cues others dont seem to pick up

Do you understand the cues or do you just notice them and know they have a meaning but can't decipher them.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 5:59 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Uncle wrote:

Do you understand the cues or do you just notice them and know they have a meaning but can't decipher them.

The later, i dont know how to put into words because i think its possibly a combination of a number of things all happening at once, so it really hard to self reflect inwardly to pick the 'layers' out to explain in verbal definition. Also because each situation and person is different its hard to work out if there is a pattern or im inwardly responding to each unique situation. It could be a bit of both depending on situation but again i dont know as if its a group situation it can be a little too overwhelming and im concentrating on mainly trying to get through the moment to even attempt conversation and might not pick up obvious cues at all. Then i can feel relatively comfortable and still not pick up certain cues. Like i said its complicated! lol :mrgreen: :?

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 6:12 am

Uncle wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Uncle wrote:

The later, i dont know how to put into words because i think its possibly a combination of a number of things all happening at once, so it really hard to self reflect inwardly to pick the 'layers' out to explain in verbal definition. Also because each situation and person is different its hard to work out if there is a pattern or im inwardly responding to each unique situation. :?

I totaly relate , I think because I'm not very vocal I spend a lot of time observing so will pick up on things that others don't notice. Noticing these things can make me very anxious when I don't understand and try to make sense of things that might be nothing. I often feel that I am able to notice people's "tells" when their lying but I could also just be noticing peoples anxiety.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 6:32 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Uncle wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Uncle wrote:

The later, i dont know how to put into words because i think its possibly a combination of a number of things all happening at once, so it really hard to self reflect inwardly to pick the 'layers' out to explain in verbal definition. Also because each situation and person is different its hard to work out if there is a pattern or im inwardly responding to each unique situation. :?

I totaly relate , I think because I'm not very vocal I spend a lot of time observing so will pick up on things that others don't notice. Noticing these things can make me very anxious when I don't understand and try to make sense of things that might be nothing. I often feel that I am able to notice people's "tells" when their lying but I could also just be noticing peoples anxiety.

I mean for example of a recent interaction. I was having a coffee and a few people i knew joined the table and i just pretty much listened and observed they then all left bar one and i mentioned if she was ok, she asked me what i meant and i said i just felt there was something 'off' about her in the sense of something important on her mind. She seemed quit taken back as she felt she had not outwardly shown that and had been feeling like that for days and i was the first to notice, she asked how i knew, i could only say it was just a feeling.. Had another experience just prior to that, that was alot more pronounced and seemed to freak out a number of people around me at the time.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 6:43 am

Uncle wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Uncle wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:
Uncle wrote:

I mean for example of a recent interaction. I was having a coffee and a few people i knew joined the table and i just pretty much listened and observed they then all left bar one and i mentioned if she was ok, she asked me what i meant and i said i just felt there was something 'off' about her in the sense of something important on her mind. She seemed quit taken back as she felt she had not outwardly shown that and had been feeling like that for days and i was the first to notice, she asked how i knew, i could only say it was just a feeling.. Had another experience just prior to that, that was alot more pronounced and seemed to freak out a number of people around me at the time.

The difference between you & me is I don't vocalise the "feeling" for fear of seeming like a insane person ( one of my biggest social anxieties )

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 6:52 am

I dont vocalize the feeling to them as im dont know how to explain it, i just vocalize the observation on occasions, ( if that made any sense? lol)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 7:01 am

Uncle wrote:
I dont vocalize the feeling to them as im dont know how to explain it, i just vocalize the observation on occasions, ( if that made any sense? lol)

It makes sense to me , I actually meant "vocalize the observation" not the actual inner workings of mind and how I percieve things.

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 7:38 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Uncle wrote:

It makes sense to me , I actually meant "vocalize the observation" not the actual inner workings of mind and how I percieve things.

ohhh :oops: sorry.
There a number of things id like to say but dont want to derail the thread too much (unless asked) :)
As far as fakeness goes there are times where it is obvious as day to me and not others :)
but in other areas, pretty terrible ( too trusting).

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 7:39 am

detecting fakeness is not too difficult all you gotta do is pay attention to what a person says.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 7:50 am

Uncle wrote:
ohhh :oops: sorry.

Not your fault , I'm terrible at explaining things especially feelings. If you asked me how I was , apart from the automatic "fine" response I wouldn't know how to answer that question.

And to put thread back on track I agree with you , sometimes I think I can spot fakeness but am not sure.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2016, 11:09 am

FlySwine wrote:
Are aspies more able to detect fakeness as in false laughter for example?

No. I only detected it once in my life only because it was that obvious.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.