Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Hounds
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:34 pm

I relate to many things on that chart, though not all. I'm sure many women can relate to it, though of course not all of them will.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:40 pm

I don't have "Asperger's syndrome" but I do have ASD. The majority of those characteristics do apply to me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:59 pm

All but about three apply to me completely.

Wreck It Ralph

Unknowableme
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2016, 9:19 pm

Most of these apply to me and I do not have Aspergers.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 9:24 pm

From my male perspective, they all sound like pretty appealing traits. :D

There Are Four Lights!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 9:33 pm

Unknowableme wrote:

The traits and symptoms of Asperger's are not exclusive to Asperger's. Most people experience a degree of all of them. The difference is that with Asperger's the degree is much higher, much more frequent and much more severe to the point where the symptoms and traits are debilitating and cause impairment on a daily or almost daily basis.

When you get a diagnosis they are not just looking to see if you have the diagnostic criteria traits and symptoms because everyone has all of them from time to time every once in a while. They are looking to see how severely you are affected by them and if the frequency and severity are enough to cause you to be impaired in your daily life.

Wreck It Ralph

Unknowableme
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2016, 9:49 pm

skibum wrote:
Unknowableme wrote:

The traits and symptoms of Asperger's are not exclusive to Asperger's. Most people experience a degree of all of them. The difference is that with Asperger's the degree is much higher, much more frequent and much more severe to the point where the symptoms and traits are debilitating and cause impairment on a daily or almost daily basis.

When you get a diagnosis they are not just looking to see if you have the diagnostic criteria traits and symptoms because everyone has all of them from time to time every once in a while. They are looking to see how severely you are affected by them and if the frequency and severity are enough to cause you to be impaired in your daily life.

Several of the things listed have actually impacted my day to day life a great deal. I just posted that the list applies to me so that someone who looks at the list might see my post and realize that even though the list applies to them it doesn't really mean they should self diagnose with Aspergers, because I know a lot of people tend to do that.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 10:53 pm

^ Makes sense. That was actually a good idea to post what you did then now that I see what you meant.

Wreck It Ralph

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2016, 11:12 pm

Most of these apply to me. I think it is an interesting chart. It more or less corresponds to the traits other clinicians and researchers have identified.

I think reading the chart may provide someone with insight into themselves and their challenges that may lead them to self-identify/self-diagnose as autistic after reading the chart, recognizing traits in oneself, and then seeking further information from several varied sources. I think this self-exploration is important and beneficial in many cases.

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2016, 11:59 pm

Many from the main table apply to me, in fact, I sent a copy of that to my diagnosing psychologist (who saw evidence in my psychological and personality profiles, as well as from the brief time we spoke together, and the amount of information I sent regarding my childhood and general life).

Every line applies to me from the second table. First time that every line of something has been me, but that second table is the most accurate picture of my life. I can't handle animals, but I wish I could.

Wave Tossed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Apr 2016, 12:02 am

I was recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. I can relate to the "chart 1" in the article.

Khamul
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2016, 2:52 am

That is the list that made me aware that Aspergers and autism is more than just 'trainspotting'. It led me to research Aspergers very in-depth, taking tests and whatnot, and eventually I got my diagnosis from a psychiatrist. From my research it's a pretty good list. Not too long, and while some of the questions/traits are too broad, it gives a good overview (however I do think it's important to also look at the main list: http://www.help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_4a3 ... 112c8.html).

There are other lists of female autistic traits and they are so very, very long that even I give up on them. Some of them are so vague that anybody could be convinced that they're autistic.

I have 9 out of 10 in the first column; 8 in the second, out of 11; 6-7 out of 12 in the third and finally 8 out of 12 in the last column, or rather, 8 out of 10 as I'm asexual, and I can't answer two of the questions.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 2:59 am

Everything applies to me except two things. This was the first piece of info I saw, and it was a huge shock to realize that I might be on the spectrum. I had a much more narrow idea of what aspergers was.

I am trying to work up the courage to ask for an assessment. I am just very scared of doctors.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2016, 9:08 am

What? Can't handle animals. What nonsense. Cats are much easier to deal with than people. Same with parakeets.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 10:50 am

Definitely agree with you on that one Spinelli. Even some Autistic females who are low functioning that I know are experts with animals. There was one girl whom we all loved here who trained therapy chickens. She connected and bonded with animals but not with people.

I really connect with animals especially horses and cats and do much better with them than with people. I also connect with my stuffed animals and even with taxidermy much better than with people! :D

Wreck It Ralph