difficulties in sports 5%  5%  [ 8 ]
other 5%  5%  [ 9 ]
I have all aspie traits 4%  4%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 167

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2016, 3:04 pm

I am not clumsy I don't have monotone voice and I understand sarcasm and metaphors

Which of them you don't have?

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 3:12 pm

I don't have a monotone voice, though sometimes when I really overloaded, I have trouble with getting out the correct tone of voice. The vast majority of the time I also don't have any trouble making eye contact. I also voted other because I don't have face blindness, which a lot of aspies have. I also don't have a lack of empathy, but I didn't vote for that because I could only pick three.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 3:17 pm

- I don't have severe sensory issues
- I have special interests but don't like talking about them
- I don't really need that much of a routine
- I can lie, though I don't really do it often
- I understand metaphors and sarcasm
- I don't think I have a monotone voice
- I have empathy
- I can make eye contact okay
- I'm not blunt and don't tend to say socially inappropriate things, except for maybe in the midst of a meltdown
- I can understand tones of voice a lot of the time

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 3:21 pm

My voice is not monotone most of the time, it only becomes monotone when I'm not focusing on talking like if I'm playing a game at the same time or something.

My family is a very sarcastic bunch with a strange sense of humor, so I have picked up on sarcasm and metaphors pretty well although I still do get confused about it at times.

I picked other because I also don't have any major problems with meltdowns or my temper.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 3:29 pm

I am average at sports and not noticeably clumsy. But I don't seem to possess the "hyper focus" that many other aspies exhibit, and I am not an intelligent human being.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 3:33 pm

I have all the above listed, but I don't have any knowledge of technology like seemingly every other Aspie does.

HCHCHC
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2016, 3:35 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I have all the above listed, but I don't have any knowledge of technology like seemingly every other Aspie does.

Love your name :)

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 3:46 pm

Thank you. :)

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2016, 3:49 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:

No all we have different interests

Jamieohs
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2016, 3:55 pm

Well I seem to be missing that trait which makes you smart

Trivn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2016, 4:15 pm

I'm definitely lacking the clumsy one... I even have a turned vertebra in my neck and a good bit of damage in the side of my jaw, both of which should cause a lot of balance issues. Baffled 3 doctors and counting!

josh338
Raven
Raven

01 May 2016, 4:24 pm

I have almost all of them. I checked don't have difficulty understanding metaphor and sarcasm but the truth is that's only in the present, I didn't learn to understand or create a metaphor until college. Also, some of the traits I didn't check are on the edge, e.g., I don't have much emotional music in my voice but I don't know if it would be called a monotone. And while I have some sensory issues (scratchy clothes drive me nuts!) they seem to be really minor compared to what some others here report. Finally, I checked other because while I have face blindness, I don't have much trouble reading facial expressions.

JimSpark
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2016, 5:27 pm

I don't have a monotone voice, and I don't show clumsiness. And under the "Other" option, I don't have bad handwriting.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 5:36 pm

I don't have sensory issues though I once had to wear a football shirt at school that made me feel really itchy. I can tell a white lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Special interests are a borderline one. I've cycled through a lot of things in the last 33 years ie taping songs by artist and category ie rock, pop, soul etc, genealogy(still do that but as a secondary interest), and for last 15 years or so finding and posting articles about mental health especially on forums- for the last 10 years it's involved checking my rss feeds umpteen times a day. I collect a lot of articles on mental health and politics.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 5:42 pm

I seem to have empathy and for other, I don't have stims visible to others.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2016, 8:15 pm

I used to be clumsy but I am not anymore. My voice is not monotone but I sound like I have an accent so I get asked where I am from. I never had a problem with lies. I used to lie a lot as a kid to try and stay out of trouble by denying what I did wrong and I also made up a story once about having ten hamsters living in the bush in my backyard. I even moved my mom's watch forward one time so we could leave sooner. But I was always caught in my lies so I rarely got away with it and I am sure my teacher knew I was lying about hamsters living in my bush because it's just not possible so I don't know if that counts as difficult in telling a lie. I had more tactile issues as a child but got over them. I don't think they impair me and I don't get overwhelmed with a noisy room anymore like I used to but my kids still drive me crazy when they fight and whine.

And I have plus and minus in some. I had no problems making friends as a kid because it was a lot easier but as I got older I started to find it hard because social skills change and kids change. I am married. Plus I had a hard time relating to my friends when I would go to their house but at my house I was fine when they would come and play there when I could still make friends easily.

Eye contact, yeah I can do it to my children and husband and my parents but everyone else I have troubles with.

I have gotten better at sarcasm and I can learn phrases and learn what they mean and not take them literal or get confused by it. When I was a kid I was very literal I had no understanding of sarcasm or metaphors. You couldn't tell me "Thanks for helping" when I didn't help you because I would have gotten confused and then think I must have helped you then without being aware of it. 6th grade was the first time I heard of sarcasm and didn't even know what it meant so I figured it was another word for lying and saying things you don't mean so I would tell my brother he is chubby when I meant he is fat and then say I am being sarcastic.

My husband says I lack empathy but I have some of it. I can feel sorry for someone or feel upset for someone when I hear their perspective.

Difficulties in sports, I am not sure what this means. I was never good in basketball or in track but I did better in softball but I was never a pro at it or in soccer. I just loved to run and try and kick the ball and dribble and in softball I just wanted to hit the ball and stand out in the field and see if I can catch any flies (not bugs). I was never good in volleyball either and I hated PE in high school because it catered around sports than fun games. Sometime we would do kick ball or whiffle ball where you play baseball using a whiffle ball than a softball or a baseball and it was slow pitching and now stealing bases. Yeah I was fine in those but not a pro.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.