As I kid I would have been a typical kid if I didn't whine s

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 11:43 am

I have quite a good long-term memory of my childhood, and when I wasn't whining and crying I was just like any other normal kid and didn't display any ASD traits at all.

I've been reading up about recognizing ASD in small girls, and 9 out of 10 traits listed didn't describe me at all as a kid. I was a very highly anxious child, so that caused me to whine and moan and cry excessively, but when I wasn't behaving that way, I could be an ordinary kid.

I didn't have any obsessions (special interests) until I was 11-12 (I didn't have very good focus skills anyway). I remember being able to have good conversations with my peers, about our feelings and school and just general life. I enjoyed engaging in imaginary play with my peers in a group without many issues, although I preferred actual imaginary games rather than games like ''Tag'' or ''Hide and Seek'', but it wasn't that I couldn't play those, it was just that I would get upset if I lost. I was even better at sharing my toys with other children, and loved playing with things like barbie dolls with other girls. And when on my own, I always played with toys and made them interact. I never lined things up. I used my toys to play with. I was interested in other children when I was a toddler, and got on well in preschool.

I think what got me my diagnosis of ''mild AS'' was the way I started off at school; I was disruptive in the classroom because of high anxiety, and had a lot of tantrums at school if I didn't want to do something. I grew out of that when I was about 6, although I still had tantrums at home. My tantrums involved mostly crying and constantly whining, and the more adults ignored me, the more I cried and whined. Also what probably got my diagnosis was my anxiety of loud sudden noises. Constant noise like lots of children talking loudly didn't bother me, and I was able to filter it out. But sudden noises, especially the bell ringing, made me anxious, but I was too embarrassed to tell my parents and the teachers that I was afraid of the bell, so I lied and said that it's every noise that made me anxious. I wish I had been more honest and said that it was only the bell that bothered me, otherwise I was fine with noises.

What do you think? Do you think I could have been misdiagnosed? I know I am not NT; I think I have ADD and anxiety disorder - DEFINITELY anxiety disorder. I wish I was just diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder/Social Anxiety Disorder. My only issue with keeping friends at school was my tendancy to whine and complain more than the average kid, although I knew I was annoying people when whining so much, but I didn't know how to stop until i got a lot older.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 3:31 pm

Probably. I don't understand how they could have diagnosed you with it over one thing and whining isn't even a symptom of autism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.