Is having a science related obsession a must?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

curiouscat1993
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jun 2016, 6:38 pm

I see that a lot of aspies are interested and obsessed with science or math related fields and it's weird that I don't. I was never interested in them and I'm more obsessed with internet surfing and fitness. Are there any other aspie here that is not obsessed with math and science? Is it rare for an aspie to not like them?

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 6:40 pm

Aspies have all sorts of obsessions. It definitely doesn't need to be science-y.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 6:41 pm

I don't have very many scientific interests myself.

And you'll find that to be case with many people here, too.

My interests are primarily history, cultural/physical anthropology (not necessarily a pure science), literature, applied linguistics (not a pure science like other types of linguistics).

And case studies of all types.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 7:22 pm

Most people on the spectrum are NOT into math and science, I'm guessing that stereotype started because those with interest into those areas could better put their interest to profitable use, and being successful they got attention.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 7:27 pm

My career was in marketing and public relations, and my special interests are genealogy, history, law and politics. While these interests are among the social sciences, they are hardly the sciency stuff that Sheldon understands. My math skills are just enough to file a small-business tax return accurately. :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 8:03 pm

No, in fact, some aspies DON'T have special interests (though it's rare).

My current interests are cats, politics, traveling and psychology.

I've met autistic people with all sorts of special interests. At one point, an autistic friend of mine was interested in the Titanic, another was interested in world politics. I've even met one interested in children's games (even though he's an adult).

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Barchan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 8:13 pm

curiouscat1993 wrote:
Are there any other aspie here that is not obsessed with math and science?

I don't. My special interests are religion and spirituality (particularly Islam) and politics.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2016, 8:29 pm

I've never really had an obsession with science, and as far as math goes, I could be diagnosed with dyscaluclia because starting with algebra, math classes became my hardest subject in school.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 8:35 pm

Not rare at all. I cover a lot of ground, but it's been too many years to figure out how to put them all in order of development, and they include various combinations of the following : Foreign-Languages, Psychology, Para-Psychology, Meta-Physics, Quantum-Mechanics, Quantum-Physics, Martial Arts, Fitness, Health, Nutrition, Conspiracy Theories, Coincidence-Theories, Conspiracy-Theorists, Sociology, History, Ancient-History, Abnormal-Psychology, Legalese, Hypno-Therapy, Frequencies, Mind-Control, Cooking, Cleanliness, Business, Organisational-Systems, Sex, Seduction, Pheromone-Generating, Showing Off, Acrobatics, Gymnastics, Strategies, Self-Sufficiency, Spotlessness, Cleanliness, Research, Collecting Banned Material, Collecting Information on Suppressed Sciences, Cognitive-Dissonance, RPGs, MMORPGs, Free Food, Growing Food, Healthy Food, Air-Purifiers, Reverse-Engineering, Design, HTML, Secret-Languages, Secret-Code, Automation, Meditation, Tai-Chi, Iron-Body Training, Breathing, Orgonite-Pyramids, Rife-Frequencies, Truth-Seeking, Absolute-Pacifism, Reincarnation, Past-Lives Hypnotic-Regressions, Evidence, Theories, Alternate-Theories, Conspiratorial-Theories, Examination, Group-Think Research/Examination, Cult-Investigations, Multi-Dimensional Inter-Frequency Filming, Hentai, Internet-Marketing, More Kung Fu Training, etc., just to name a handful few interests that I got. I think the most-important obsession that one can have is to simply learn as much as they can.

curiouscat1993 wrote:
I see that a lot of aspies are interested and obsessed with science or math related fields and it's weird that I don't. I was never interested in them and I'm more obsessed with internet surfing and fitness. Are there any other aspie here that is not obsessed with math and science? Is it rare for an aspie to not like them?

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 11:44 pm

My main interests include History, Philosophy, Politics, and PC Strategy Games.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 11:59 pm

yes, try an enormous freaking chunk of the site.

deep math and science interests aren't required for card carrying aspieness.

i wish i knew what it was that caused the masses to think otherwise. personally, i'm placing the blame on sheldon.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 12:30 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
No, in fact, some aspies DON'T have special interests (though it's rare).

Sup? 8)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 12:46 am

Not necessarily. My interests include music and classic television.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 4:27 am

Its right there in the DSM.

You have to have had Carl Sagan take out a restraining order on you at least once to be classified as an aspie (or Neil De Grasse for the younger generation of course).

Just kidding.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 4:32 am

Honestly, I struggled with math and science in public school, and I did much better with English and social studies. I still find science and technology to be fascinating, however.