Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2016, 3:32 am

I always wondered why I never had goosebumps and why I had bad temperature control. There was a girl on in my class who has just become a doctor. She told me that in autistic people the hypothalamus doesn't work properly. Anybody else noticed this?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 4:00 am

I get goosebumps.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 4:44 am

madmick wrote:
I always wondered why I never had goosebumps and why I had bad temperature control. There was a girl on in my class who has just become a doctor. She told me that in autistic people the hypothalamus doesn't work properly. Anybody else noticed this?

If you are referring to the hypothalamus not working in regards to temperature regulation, then if that was true autism would be diagnosed via thermometer and we'd all be either very sick or dead. There is research that shows brain matter in the area of the hypothalamus is affected in autistic people and that affects the production of some hormones which scientists believe have an effect on social bonding and social behaviours, so I assume they are looking for an organic cause for poor social skills in autistic people. I don't think anything concrete has come from the analysis of the brains of autistic people yet.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 5:48 am

Is that due to hypothetically oxytocin being normally produced in lower quantities by the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 11:39 am

I get goosebumps. They come if I'm cold, or if my arm or particularly neck is touched lightly, or if I read or hear something that impacts me (eerie or moving).

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 12:08 pm

Sounds like your doctor friend is full of it. I doubt that autism has much to do with your lack of goosebumps.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

20 Jun 2016, 12:53 pm

I get goosebumps too. Pretty often tbh because i am very sensitive to temperature. I also get them from music, movies or some art...

Peace
TK

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jun 2016, 7:35 pm

I don't have a shiver response either. I was in a cold spell once and my body temperature dropped so much that my g/f at the time thought I was dying as I became unresponsive and my body temp was so low. After my dr friend told me which part of the brain was probably responsible I found out that that part of the brain actually does have a lot to do with autistic traits i.e oxytocin, sexual response etc.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 7:59 pm

I'm very sensitive to cold and I shiver too easily, I always have the first goosebumps whenever it's cold.
As much as my tactile senses are more sensitive than my hearing, light touch can give me goosebumps. Even if it's from myself.
And have more than enough emotional sensitivity for me to have goosebumps from various art mediums. :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Triple__B
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jun 2016, 10:29 pm

I'm not sure about goosebumps, but I always run hot and my wife tells me my hypothalamus is all out of whack all the time.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 29 of 200
Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles. ~ Charles Chaplin

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:38 pm

I can get goosebumps pretty easily even when I'm not cold. I am sensitive to both hot and cold. I remember seeing posts here in the past about the hypothalamus not working properly in autistic people.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:14 am

madmick wrote:

I have never heard of anyone with your condition....fascinating. :nerdy:
I'd bet $$$ that it is merely co-morbid to ASD(in your specific case) but definitely NOT related to ASD as a Dx.
I think your MD friend is incorrect.
Your condition ought to be studied...remarkable! :nerdy:

If your body cannot shiver that could be life threatening...no joke 8O
I'd love to know how/why your body is this way.

Edit to add: "The functional capacity of the thermoregulatory system alters with ageing, reducing the resistance of elderly people to excessive temperatures; the shiver response may be greatly diminished or even absent in the elderly, resulting in a significant drop in mean deep body temperature upon exposure to cold; standard tests of thermoregulatory function show a markedly different rate of decline of thermoregulatory processes in different individuals with ageing."

Source: Wikipedia

.....but if lifelong??....hmmmm....idk

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 4:42 am

Yeah. It is an interesting condition. Its as if the OP isnt really a true mammal!

Maybe he is a Reptoid space alien!

Autistic behavior probably can originate from widely different causes. And the OP's ASD traits might be caused by this hypothalmic condition. But no way is that typical of ASD folks in general.

piiigs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jun 2016, 4:45 am

I get goosebumps.

In fact I can get them at will anytime anywhere. Little electrical wave going through starting from back of my neck.

I just do them constantly for hours sometimes just for fun.. :D