So I also got diagnosed with a magical thinking disorder?

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Ashcotter117
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2016, 3:39 pm

Has anyone heard of this?
I'm completely obsessed with numbers to the point I actually believed I could become a modern day Einstein when I prove the link between Divine numeric synchronism sequences, patterns an cycles.
I learnt Angel numbers through sacred scribes and an in depth anology obsessively I started o see patterns feel patterns and based on these I started anticipating certain number combinations coming up since each one has its own vibration that associates itself with divine timing ie everything is always in sync at all times, stars, planetary alignment and earth cycles right down to the small things.

Now it's got to the point where I make life changing choices and decisions based on numbers and cycles but also I hate psychics right now like they keep finding me by chance one even passed a message in a reading to me through my partners sister criticising me and saying I'm going to be unfaithful and think I'm gods gift.

Anyway enough craziness but yah....
My brain is wired at 1000 miles an hour constantly :-(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:00 pm

I never heard of magical thinking disorder alone but I have heard that is something that is found is schizotypical disorder which is a form of schizophrenia and on the same spectrum as schizophrenia but it's less severe and not to the same degree as schizophrenics. I know anyone can have their own fantasies and a very good imagination but there are degrees. I have read about how people on the autistic spectrum would get misdiagnosed as having schizophrenia because of similar traits and also taking the "do you hear voices" literal and they might mistake your imagination as delusions or your obsessions and patterns as delusions. They used to think autism and schizophrenia were on the same spectrum but they split it in 1980 when the DSM-III came out so I would assume the 1970's they started to split it because it takes years for the new DSM to be published so I doubt it all happened in 1980 before the publishing date.

But you wrote how you actually believe you could become a modern day Einstein so that leans towards magical thinking which is on the schizophrenia spectrum. If you didn't believe that, you would lean away from the spectrum.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:42 pm

This is the first time I heard of this one, but if anything is MTD in my view, then it would be related to thinking that external-reality can be altered simply by holding onto any particular belief or disbelief. One of them is a notorious New Age Belief claiming that so-called Evil is nothing more than a mind-created reality (such to the extent that wickedness, corruption, the perpetuation of suffering, etc., will somehow disappear from existence/reality by acting as-if such things were non-existent; the belief that the existence of criminals only happens if people think that it is even possible for existence to even include such things as so-called "criminals"; THAT to me is M-T).

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 11:12 pm

I have heard of it, but it was never used as it's own diagnosis.

Usually children have this. If I do x, the desired out come will happen. If I keep my room spotless, mom and dad will remarry. If I pray very hard on a star, my dead pet will come back.

What you believe about numbers and Einstein is more in the line of schizophrenia (like the PP wrote). My husband got his Schizoid Personality Disorder diagnosis, because he rambled about his true belief in life extention occurring in the next 30 years. His level of commitment to that belief wasn't strong enough to punt him into the schizophrenia camp.

He was also shocked that the psychiatrist took his ramblings that way. My husband has a special interest in life extension/science fiction. He thought he was just exploring an interesting topic he is passionate about. The shrink thought he was nuts.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 11:33 pm

There seems to be no such thing as "Magical Thinking Disorder" on any of the reputable websites associated with mental health, although "Magical Thinking" seems to be deeply associated with schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorders.

Therefore, it is unlikely that anyone could be diagnosed with any kind of "Magical Thinking Disorder".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 11:45 pm

Fnord wrote:
There seems to be no such thing as "Magical Thinking Disorder" on any of the reputable websites associated with mental health, although "Magical Thinking" seems to be deeply associated with schizophrenia and obsessive-compulsive disorders.

Therefore, it is unlikely that anyone could be diagnosed with any kind of "Magical Thinking Disorder".

How is magical thinking associated with OCD, I never heard of it.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

25 Jun 2016, 3:37 am

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I would guess the "If i dont do this, something really terrible on the world will happen" thoughts that can occur with OCD could be very similiar, just in the opposit direction. Its not really magical, but for a purely fictional example thinking you would cause a flood somewhere because you didnt washed your hands right now is also pretty delusional. It doesnt make any sense & has no causal context. So i guess these type of thoughts are pretty much similiar, but just basing off a different emotion - anxiety. But dont mind me, im just blurting out my own thoughts here. Im not very informed on the topic of OCD to be honest...

Peace
TK

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 3:54 am

Tiankay wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I would guess the "If i dont do this, something really terrible on the world will happen" thoughts that can occur with OCD could be very similiar, just in the opposit direction. Its not really magical, but for a purely fictional example thinking you would cause a flood somewhere because you didnt washed your hands right now is also pretty delusional. It doesnt make any sense & has no causal context. So i guess these type of thoughts are pretty much similiar, but just basing off a different emotion - anxiety. But dont mind me, im just blurting out my own thoughts here. Im not very informed on the topic of OCD to be honest...

Peace
TK

I never had that kind of OCD and never even knew those thoughts existed until I started reading about it on here from comments.

I see OCD as also being a spectrum so no OCD person is alike. But the confusing part is they can like their obsessions and routines but the question is, when is it actually OCD than autism? Wouldn't an autistic person get anxious if they couldn't do their routine? There is no anxiety as they do it but only get anxious if they don't do it because they have to do it or otherwise they wouldn't have to do it and they would be flexible and not have their day ruined. That is why I wouldn't be a good psychiatrist because I find all these labels and overlaps confusing because they're all the same to me, symptom wise. But misdiagnoses happens too among professionals.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2016, 4:12 am

Maybe the difference lies in that autistic routines gives one predictability, while OCD routines are more of a relief, like itching a bite or something. As little as i know if your LIKE your routines, its not OCD, that would be OCPD. For me im not getting anxious if someone breaks my routine/plans, i just get really mad. Sometimes to the point where i just leave in order not to punch a hole into something or start hitting myself etc.

Peace
TK

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 4:30 am

Tiankay wrote:
i just get really mad. Sometimes to the point where i just leave in order not to punch a hole into something or start hitting myself etc.

Peace
TK

And how could that not be anxiety? Whenever I feel bad and feel like hitting and throwing things and am screaming, everyone calls it anxiety. :?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 5:19 am

I have heard of "magical thinking" being a symptom of schizophrenia. But not of "magical thinking disorder" as being a stand alone "disorder".

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jun 2016, 5:36 am

@League_Girl: I dont know, im no psychologist or anyone who has great knowledge about these things. But for me anxiety is when fight/flight/freeze kicks in. Ill get that alot by random loud noises, social situations, bigger changes and more. And since i tend to never decide on "fight", its either freeze up and stay silent or get away asap. This type of leaving isnt caused by that, its a concious decision to prevent collateral damage when i lose control. It never occured that someone told me its anxiety when such a situation happened, they just said i have aggression problems and once sent me to a anti-aggression support group. Wich was a complete waste of time i might add here. I am by far the opposite of an aggressive person in general...

Peace
TK

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I have heard of "magical thinking" being a symptom of schizophrenia. But not of "magical thinking disorder" as being a stand alone "disorder".
That's what I'm saying! There was a schizophrenic woman, who used to live down the block, and who used to "baptize" the houses all around the block with her own urine to "keep evil things away" (her words). She did this every day until one of the other neighbors recorded her relieving herself on his front steps, and then confronted her family's landlord with the evidence. Their lease was not renewed.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 10:14 am

Tiankay wrote:
Maybe the difference lies in that autistic routines gives one predictability, while OCD routines are more of a relief, like itching a bite or something. As little as i know if your LIKE your routines, its not OCD, that would be OCPD. For me im not getting anxious if someone breaks my routine/plans, i just get really mad. Sometimes to the point where i just leave in order not to punch a hole into something or start hitting myself etc.

Peace
TK

The other thing is most people with OCD have no issues with social skills. For example, they can perfectly fine at work, school, where ever, but at home loss their mind if stuff isn't turned a certain way or they don't do (x) task to relieve the anxiety.

I have friends with pretty severe OCD, and they have no issues being with all those soft skill Aspies aren't so good at.

When my husband got his schizoid personality disorder, OCD, GAD and depression diagnosis, I called BS.

Yes he is depressed.
Yes he has anxiety.
No. He didn't fit the OCD/OCPD at all.
No the SPD didn't fit him at ALL.

The shrink was lazy, and he had the bare, skin of the teeth minimum to fit the two categories I didn't agree with.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 10:45 am

Tawaki wrote:
Tiankay wrote:

Peace
TK

The other thing is most people with OCD have no issues with social skills. For example, they can perfectly fine at work, school, where ever, but at home loss their mind if stuff isn't turned a certain way or they don't do (x) task to relieve the anxiety.

I have friends with pretty severe OCD, and they have no issues being with all those soft skill Aspies aren't so good at.

When my husband got his schizoid personality disorder, OCD, GAD and depression diagnosis, I called BS.

Yes he is depressed.
Yes he has anxiety.
No. He didn't fit the OCD/OCPD at all.
No the SPD didn't fit him at ALL.

The shrink was lazy, and he had the bare, skin of the teeth minimum to fit the two categories I didn't agree with.

I used to think OCD was a trait if Asperger's because I was told in high school it was part of it. I figured the OCD was the routines and rituals and the obsessions (as I was told because they called mine that) part but that label was for people who lacked all the other autistic traits or who don't have enough to have AS and they have all these labels for the symptoms of AS so instead of handing out all these diagnoses to someone, you diagnose them with AS because they had enough for the DX. But apparently that isn't what OCD is. :Shrugs:

Also SPD is part of autism but I think I know what you mean. It didn't explain everything. I also feel my OCD doesn't quite fit but yet I do get obsessive thoughts I don't like but it doesn't explain everything.

My mother must be hugely misinformed about all this and my school counselor also told me OCD was part of it too so he must have also been misinformed unless they have changed it over the years. Maybe they used to call it OCD in autism and then they realized they are not the same? Back in the 90's AS wasn't even autism at all but it was still recognized as being a PDD and the label was controversial then because people saw it as PDD-NOS according to a book I just found at Goodwill that was published in 1996. But that just shows how different information about AS was back then.