You look average, autistic people look ugly or ret*d...

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 6:58 pm

This is what someone said to me after I told them about my condition. I wish I'd never told them. They claim that all autists are ugly or look like ret*ds... That's ridiculous, it's a mental condition not a genetic one. The fact that most autists are ugly to that person has nothing to do with them being autistic, it's just because the majority of humans are ugly or average. What do you think?

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Nov 2011, 7:02 pm

I think that handsome, cute and ugly are all a matter of opinion.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 7:06 pm

I think that person needs a punch in the eye.

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2011, 7:12 pm

I think you should eat his brain.

sMeow.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

05 Nov 2011, 7:19 pm

Sparx wrote:
I think that person needs a punch in the eye.
Is that nessasary? I disagree with the person's opinion, but punching them is a waste of a punch (seeing as there are other people more worthy of punching).

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2011, 7:25 pm

It's not an opinion, it's a prejudice. A stupid, awful and ridiculous prejudice.

sMeow.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 7:32 pm

I suspect it's the vacant or blank expression of really severe autistics, the kind who don't even notice that there's another human in the room, much less focus on them or smile, that he's maybe seen in photographs and perceived as ugly.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 7:35 pm

sMeow wrote:
It's not an opinion, it's a prejudice. A stupid, awful and ridiculous prejudice.

sMeow.
Stupid? Yes. Awful? You bet. Ridiculous and prejudiced? Absolutely. But still someone's opinion.

OldFashioned
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

Sibyl wrote:
I suspect it's the vacant or blank expression of really severe autistics, the kind who don't even notice that there's another human in the room, much less focus on them or smile, that he's maybe seen in photographs and perceived as ugly.

No the person was implying deformity or extreme facial ugliness.

sMeow
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Nov 2011, 7:48 pm

An opinion is something that is based on a certain knowledge...
If I say "programmers are all geeks with no life", and if I never encounter some programmers before, it's not an opinion, it's a prejudice. And I don't think he ever encounter an autistic before. Anyway, it's my opinion (hum...) : an "opinion" is something we can have when we know, it's something of... developped ; with an opinion, we can argue etc...
But if you don't know, and if you... critical ?, it's just a prejudice, not a complete opinion, because you never read etc... about what you're talking... You see ?

It's about 2:00 AM here, I'm too tired to write more, hope it's understandable and that you see what I wanna say... I'll write more after I slept a few hours, if it's necessary...

sMeow.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 8:02 pm

And we're the ones with the social maturity of 11 year olds...hmmm.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 8:09 pm

Kids and teenagers are often idiots.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

i'd punch him.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 8:21 pm

sMeow wrote:
An opinion is something that is based on a certain knowledge...
If I say "programmers are all geeks with no life", and if I never encounter some programmers before, it's not an opinion, it's a prejudice. And I don't think he ever encounter an autistic before. Anyway, it's my opinion (hum...) : an "opinion" is something we can have when we know, it's something of... developped ; with an opinion, we can argue etc...
But if you don't know, and if you... critical ?, it's just a prejudice, not a complete opinion, because you never read etc... about what you're talking... You see ?

It's about 2:00 AM here, I'm too tired to write more, hope it's understandable and that you see what I wanna say... I'll write more after I slept a few hours, if it's necessary...

sMeow.
People can and do make opinions about things they've never experienced or don't know anything about. These types of opinions are usually called ignorant opinions or uninformed opinions, and there are a lot of people who are easily swayed by others' influence.

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2011, 8:34 pm

OldFashioned wrote:
Sibyl wrote:

No the person was implying deformity or extreme facial ugliness.

And all blacks are lazy.

Prejudice comes from stupidity, unfortunately there's no lack of stupidity on this planet. I wouldn't worry about it though.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

marshall wrote:
Kids and teenagers are often idiots.

^ Yeah, that.

It reminds me of of people who say they can always spot a transsexual. They spot the ones who are spottable and then figure that haven't missed any because if they did they would've spotted them... which is a circular definition. Duh.

So, I suspect that that guy notices people who are unusual-looking and have neurological oddities going on. The people who don't look weird to him he probably assumes without question are neurologically normal. Human "logic" strikes again.