Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jul 2016, 5:47 am

One of my interests (that has yet to diminish over time much to the chagrin of my mother and my bank account) is gaming/ video games. I'm curious if any of you guys/gals are also gamers and what games do you play? Do you find yourself drawn to certain genres or characters or series? For me, I'm an RPG girl/ Bethesda/ BioWare fangirl but I have a few beat them ups to deal with the stress. But anywho, anyone else out there a gamer? Would love to hear if you are or not.

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

autistintp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2016, 6:08 am

Hi Yes,

Gamer here too, also favour more involved games rather than pick up quick and play games.
Have been mainly playing MMO Games since 2001 like Everquest 1 + 2, Jumpgate, EVE, Ryzom, Rift, Wow, Anarchy Online, Vanguard, and all the rest lol.

I still get a complete and utter disapproving aspect from my mother with respect's to gaming, however it's now entirely clear to me that my whole gaming career(lol) has been nothing less than a way to manage my Asperger's.

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jul 2016, 6:31 am

Yup, always been something of a gamer, though I'd vacillate between console and PC gaming. Over the last couple years I've really gotten into pinball games, to the degree that it might be considered a "special interest". Just with a quick glance it looks like I've logged about 1,000 hours over the last 2-3 years. I would really love to be able to get out and play some actual (real world) pinball tables but some of my issues make that very difficult.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 9:13 am

We have a whole forum on this site for gaming.

I mainly play Nintendo games like Mario and Zelda games. Pokemon has been a special interest since I was 8 years old.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 10:49 am

I am totally addicted to Lord of the Rings Online.

This is one of my characters, Carunir, the elf hunter in action:

This is my house, with my Lore Master (wizard) in it:

Here is the Lore Master Esrador with his wife Marviel the Rune-Keeper (yes I play a woman character too). That's split image since I cant log in two players at the same time.

My other characters:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 4:04 am

I am a gamer, but I’m not a heavy gamer. When I play board, dice and card games, I prefer filler games and fairly light games. Games that are easy to understand and that I relax with and have fun playing. I’m not the least bit interested in points, I just wanna have fun playing the game. When we play Ticket to Ride, for instance, we pay no attention to the points around the board or after the game. We just have a lot of fun getting the right cards, laying down tracks and planning our routes. When my mother and I play we easily get so into the game that we frequently ask “whose turn is it?” because we’re busy planning (this happens in nearly every game we play).
I also like video games, but I am very picky. I’m all about the enjoying the world I play in, and I’m not into hard challenges. Video games that are difficult to play are not my thing. Games that fit me perfectly are Pokémon, Rune Factory and Fantasy Life. I like Dragon Quest a lot too, as well as some racing games and puzzles like Tetris and Frogger.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 8:05 am

I obvoiusly like Pokemon more the stuff before 5th gen.. Though not limited to it. I like modding the game. To introduce new content. For example Piplup in Mario Kart Wii, etc. I also like role-playing games like TES, or Fallout, etc.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:57 am

Quote:

Which I never read, because of my pertinent question on this topic - what is the fascination with "gaming?"
To my understanding it achieves nothing, and I'm curious as to why those of you who do it enjoy it so much or can get so into it. Other forms of entertainment, storytelling for one, have been used throughout the centuries and civilisations to inspire, to provoke, to teach, to communicate, to facilitate culture and philosophy.
There has been much commentary on the purpose of storytelling in human consciousness.
Does anyone question why this gaming is so entrancing? Why bother to do it?
As I said, just curious.

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2016, 11:17 am

Gamer here.

Steam sales are bad news for my wallet :mrgreen:

Kuzunoha
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2016, 12:33 pm

I've been a gamer since I was very young. Back then I only played Mario, but in recent years I've started playing pretty much anything. My favorite types of games are RPGs, adventure games and visual novel style games.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 12:53 pm

Longtime gamer here. Currently engrossed in ARK: Survival Evolved. Big fan of Elder Scrolls, Fallout and various RTS, FPS and RPGs. :)

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 5:27 pm

I love tabletop games. One of my friends got me into Dungeons and Dragons and Magic. I find them really fun. The only video game I really play a lot is The Sims :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 5:29 pm

Certain video games [Final Fantasy VII, Radiant Historia, The Last Story, Rune Factory 4, and Pokemon Explorers of Sky] have taught me awesome life lessons.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 5:38 pm

I don't know if you have missed it or not, but there is an entire subforum for gamers on WP.

viewforum.php?f=2

In Chains
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2016, 6:57 pm

Video games are awesome, aren't they? One of my "obsessions" is Nintendo, so I have pretty much played every franchise published or developed by them. Currently enjoying Pokemon GO :D Besides Nintendo games, I love Monster Hunter, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, and Street Fighter, among many other franchises.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 9:25 pm

C2V wrote:
Quote:

Which I never read, because of my pertinent question on this topic - what is the fascination with "gaming?"
To my understanding it achieves nothing, and I'm curious as to why those of you who do it enjoy it so much or can get so into it. Other forms of entertainment, storytelling for one, have been used throughout the centuries and civilisations to inspire, to provoke, to teach, to communicate, to facilitate culture and philosophy.
There has been much commentary on the purpose of storytelling in human consciousness.
Does anyone question why this gaming is so entrancing? Why bother to do it?
As I said, just curious.

I'll try to answer some of this as best I can.

My own fascination tends to come from the challenge of these; certainly, not all games are about challenge and difficulty. But the sort I get into tend to be. For example, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uON3zty3-Q The core idea of that one is to dodge all of the purple crap, while continuing to advance through the level. It is the single hardest game ever made.

And that game is a great example of what gaming can do for someone, actually. The reason I'm able to do the stuff in the video is because of my ability to mentally process a monstrous number of things at once. In the case of a game like that, I can track every object on the screen at the same time. I've now gone so far with this ability that I seem to have LOST the ability to only focus on ONE thing. It doesnt fill up enough "mental space" now, so my mind wanders, trying to find more things to process. As a kid, I couldnt do this. Now, it's effortless and automatic. IRL, this can be pretty damn useful. I'm totally aware of my surroundings at ALL times. Nothing surprises me, because whatever it is, I'm already aware of it, even if all it did was make a small noise. This is a hugely useful skill in many situations, particularly when driving, and also it's good for general safety. In addition, I'm *really* coordinated. And most of all, I"m fast. Really fast. Reaction speed, I mean. Among those that know me, that speed is what I'm known for. Not just useful in gaming, the ability to react hyper-quickly is certainly useful IRL too; I doubt I need to list any situations as examples, because everyone runs into situations where fast reactions are very suddenly necessary. I had decent reflexes and whatnot as a kid, but it's massively increased as I continue to do these things. These are all skills that are improved by gaming in general.

Of course, it does depend on the types of games played; something like Angry Birds wont do this. But in a general sense, gaming can improve these things to a great degree. The player simply needs to be up to the challenge of actually doing so, constantly.

In addition, there can be a social aspect to these things. I've made friends, and I mean lasting, close ones, through these games. Often met when playing competitive games, these are people I would never have met otherwise. And THAT would be a real shame. That's typically happened IRL, but there's an advantage to doing it online too; when my social anxiety is too high to deal with people in-person, I can still get some social contact via the Net, often in various games played online. It also just gives me something to do with like-minded friends, something to join them in, even if my other interests dont mesh with theirs. Gaming is our usual activity, much of the time. Not the ONLY one, but the usual one. We're all geeks, really, heh.

Now, as for the idea of storytelling... there are plenty of gamers that would argue that games can tell very compelling stories. I, in all honesty, am not one of them. I've never gotten into story-focused games; not my preference. One of my other interests is books, of which I have tons, and those are where I'll go when I want a story. But plenty of others see it differently. Perhaps someone else can better explain this specific appeal of games.

However, sometimes games can CREATE the stories as you play them. Many gamers have their own stories, often shared with friends, of things that have happened in some game or other. These stories can be impressive, strange, hilarious... or whatever. I've not met another gamer that DOESNT have at least some to tell.

And lastly, the big huge misconception about gaming: that it's all a bunch of blood and guns and blah blah blah... that one's entirely wrong. As an example, this is one of my favorites: http://i.imgur.com/MQ2kvsX.jpg Looks like math, eh? I'm not even going to try to explain what's going on in that, but it's a puzzle game based on pure logic (the bits that look like math are generated by the game and serve a different purpose, as data for the player to consider). The game can get *really* difficult and complicated as all hell. There's alot more games out there than people (often parents) might think. Only some games are those bloody shooters and whatnot. Many, many others are way more than that simple idea, it's just that you dont HEAR about them as much. They dont have massive advertising budgets and dont make headlines for any reason.

So there, that's some explanation. A bit long, but maybe it'll help for some understanding. Possibly.