Males with Aspergers - what do you think..?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

jaybe
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2016, 8:50 am

I was talking to a friend who I hadn't seen for years, the other day. I was under the impression he might have ADHD because he's very energetic and talkative. But he dropped into the conversation "so that was hard for someone with Aspergers" and continued the story he was telling me. Because he was talking in 3rd person I wasn't 100% sure at the time that he was talking about himself so I didn't react to his disclosing it.
I was just diagnosed with Aspergers (ASD1) a few months ago and have only told a few people and have never spoken to anyone else who is diagnosed. I would really like to be able to talk with him about it.
My question is - does the fact he mentioned it mean he trusts me and would be ok with talking about it? Or because he mentioned it in such a minor way, he doesn't want to dwell on it? Do you mention that you have ASD in conversation? And how good is your Aspie radar - do you think he would probably have picked up on me having it already?
(Females are welcome to answer too but I feel like my way of thinking is quite different to male aspies so I'm interested in male perspectives)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 10:56 am

If someone mentions a topic it often opens the door to more discussion. Ideally, you should closely observe the other person to see whether or not someone is getting uncomfortable or not. People often want to talk about stuff, but don't because they don't want to seem weird or make the people they are talking to uncomfortable.
This is also true about money--you wouldn't necessarily want to talk gripe about some issues with your retirement pension with someone that is chronically unemployed--but that would be OK with a different audience.