Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Xris
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2016, 12:48 pm

Hello I am at the point where i need some advice from others that might have been where i am now...

First off I am a 34 year old male that just a diagnosis of ASD leaning to the autism side since i was 4yo before i said my first word. About 10 years ago i had enough of my life and decided i needed a change...all my life starting at 14 i could never keep a job more then 2 or 3 months before something would overwhelm me and set me off.

I moved to live as a hermit on the Big Island of Hawai'i. There on that small rock in the middle of no where was the first time i felt...at peace. I would only leave my land 1 or 2 times a month and i farmed for money.

Six years ago i was in a tsunami. I missed myself up good enough where i had to have surgery on my spine four times and can no longer farm.

I had to move back to the mainland and now live in Fresno. I have no family nor do i have friends and so i move here and became homeless this past November. Moving here has been the worst time of my life because the noises and all the people here leave me so stressed that i been having panic attacks more since November then in my whole adult life. I have had two jobs the first lasted almost three hours before i passed out and lost it for failure to be able to perform the job.

My issue is that i have to have anxiety meds to get back on my feet and keep a job for a few weeks. I called every single shrink in the phone book three times and no one will see me. They all tell me one of the things. One they do not take my issuance Two they do not deal with autism or three they only deal with autism with hardcore drug problems.

I have tried to buy zoloft off few drug dealers and the all just laughed at me and one robbed me...so that is out.

I need help.

sixDimensional
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2016, 1:04 pm

Hi there, I'm sorry about your experiences.
I'm not entirely sure how it works in U.S. but what about seeing like a general practitioner or even visiting an emergency room?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 1:55 pm

You can see a psychotherapist. Maybe the psychotherapist will refer you to an evaluation with a psychiatrist. Maybe you don't even need a psychiatrist.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm

If you struggle with alexithymia like me, I would surmise that seeing a psychiatrist could turn out to be a rather fruitless experience.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 2:04 pm

Do you live near Berkley? I know someone who runs an organization for homeless folks there.

I've never been in your position, but I think the best way to get a case worker and benefits is to go to a shelter and ask for supports. They often have people there to help with this kind of stuff. Here in New Jersey, its called Homeless Solutions. Everyone who uses their shelter is offered social service help. And that does include accessing mental health services, and medications like zoloft. In fact, you would be a rare pleasure - someone who actually wants the mental health help.

Xris
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2016, 2:39 pm

In my OP I said that I called all shrinks meaning all psychologist, therapist and physiotherapist.

I have worked with 3 homeless case workers but they never worked with autism.

Alexithymia...never herd of it but feelings am me do not get along but I only want a shrink so I can get anxiety meds but no xanex that stuff almost killed me...Zoloft helped somewhat though.

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2016, 3:16 pm

Xris wrote:
In my OP I said that I called all shrinks meaning all psychologist, therapist and physiotherapist.

I have worked with 3 homeless case workers but they never worked with autism.

Alexithymia...never herd of it but feelings am me do not get along but I only want a shrink so I can get anxiety meds but no xanex that stuff almost killed me...Zoloft helped somewhat though.

That's really weird. Many people experiencing homelessness have disabilities like yours. If they haven't seen autism yet, they are sure to see more in the future.

Regaurdless, those social workers are the ones who should be setting you up with social services and such. Are you officially diagnosed? The thing about autism is that sometimes we don't know how to use the right phrases to get people like that to understand our needs. I've found that writing it out and handing them the paper works better than trying to convince them with verbalizations in the moment.