Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm

I have a condition known as Synesthesia, where, for me, all of the letters and numbers evoke a color when I see or think about them. For example, the letter A always makes me think of red, B is yellow, and C is a bluish silver. I don't actually see the letters in color, but my brain associates them with colors. Does anyone else have this?

gsli431
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2016, 9:19 pm

I also have that.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:22 pm

Hi, I have the following types of Synesthesia:

Auditory-Tactile

Spatial Sequence

Color-Olfactory

Mirror-Touch (to a lesser degree than typically experienced)

I also experience Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, intensely

JurgenW
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2016, 4:08 pm

For me, some of the smaller numbers are colors and reverse - 3 is yellow, 4 is red, 5 is green, 2 is blue and black and white are 1 and 0, but not sure which.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 4:29 pm

no but i've done a lot of amateur research on synesthesia...
i used to have a set of graphs, one for each letter of the alphabet, noting the frequency of perceived colors for each one.
i do remember that most participants saw A as red.
i don't think i threw them away though, so when i go home tonight i'll see if i can unearth them from the depths of my desk and get back to you about it in more detail :)

Magi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2016, 5:50 pm

I do not have synesthesia but I think its really cool. I do visualize things as shapes and colors and problems work themself out in my mind to tell me answers, like some with synesthesia are with math, but with me its all about science instead of numbers.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 9:12 pm

Something I heard on a science podcast, recently - There was a study done on specific neurological effects of memory, in which each of the participants, all born throughout the 1970's, were found to see numbers and letters in the same corresponding colors. Each of those participants, also, had the Fisher Price colored alphabet magnets, either on their refrigerators, or in other, visible locations in the home, at ages 2 and/or 3 years old. So, it is possible to experience synesthesia effects via memory, is what this particular neuroscientist suggested. BUT, then would it be synesthesia, respectively? I wonder if the participants of that study have other experiences, characteristic of grapheme-color synesthesia.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 9:15 pm

seaweed wrote:
i used to have a set of graphs, one for each letter of the alphabet, noting the frequency of perceived colors for each one.
i don't think i threw them away though, so when i go home tonight i'll see if i can unearth them from the depths of my desk and get back to you about it in more detail :)

I, for one, will be looking forward to it! ^

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 9:22 pm

Magi, there are, apparently, 80 types of synesthesia, so, what you describe of your experience could very well be considered synesthesia. There are a number of studies and articles online that you might find interesting, and perhaps you might relate to : )

Magi wrote:
I do not have synesthesia but I think its really cool. I do visualize things as shapes and colors and problems work themself out in my mind to tell me answers, like some with synesthesia are with math, but with me its all about science instead of numbers.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 1:02 am

I also visualize a number form, and this image is a very accurate depiction of what I see:

Come to think of it, I remember my pre-k classroom had these sheets of colored construction paper hanging on the wall with numbers and dots on them that were meant to teach numbers, and I believe those sheets of colored paper may have caused my synesthesia.

seaweed wrote:

Here's my letter/number colors if you want them:
A - red
B - pale yellow
C - bluish gray
D - dark yellow
E - medium yellow
F - brown
G - indigo
H - gray
I - black
J - purple
K - black
L - black
M - green
N - orange
O - white
P - purple
Q - pink
R - purple
S - red
T - black
U - light blue
V - gray
W - yellow
X - gray
Y - light gray
Z - gray
0 - white
1 - black
2 - blue
3 - yellow
4 - reddish orange
5 - green
6 - light blue
7 - brown
8 - red
9 - yellow

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 3:36 am

There was a synesthesia movement among early 20th century artists, especially composers, who wanted to evoke a sense of colors and other sensory experiences through sound. I wonder if any of them had this ability or what they might have thought if they knew that there were people who naturally have it.

EqualGroundsWrongToRight
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2016, 4:15 am

I have very mild Synesthesia.

Words can bring up a somewhat unrelated thought to me that has some kind of abstract comparison.

I think this is quite normal for people, actually...

But who knows

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 7:01 am

I rather see sound, taste smells and hear moving objects that are otherwise inaudible. I am a tetrachromat though (according to my eye doctor).

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 4:58 pm

i can't find them :( they're probably outdated by now anyway as i graphed them out in 2008.
also, there were only 60-ish participants so it doesn't really have much scientific merit.

but thanks for your input saxgeek!
i also recall that yellow was popular for b, and white was popular for o.
i forget c but it would be interesting if primary colors were common for a, b, and c.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 5:04 pm

i was rather quickly able to find this short research article though.
it's interesting the differences between languages and color associations.
http://suchow.io/assets/docs/herman2016 ... esia19.pdf

artife
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2016, 7:44 pm

I have the number-form type, where I see numbers and dates as existing in certain positions in relation to each other. So, the times of day are in a circle. The months of the year are in a weird lumpy rectangle.

I remember when I was in college and discovered that this thing I had done my whole life had a name and wasn't something that everyone did. It was pretty exciting.