Suicidal when special interests can't be reached?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2016, 8:44 pm

My special interests are meerkats and becoming a veterinarian. People have ALWAYS told me I could never be a veterinarian based on THEIR beliefs on how "hard" it is. I volunteer at an animal hospital and all three vets who work there have said it was challenging, but not impossible. People have always told me to be a veterinary technician or veterinary assistant instead (a lot of people get the terms mixed up and assume you can be a veterinary technician via hands-on training. No, that's a veterinary assistant and it was impossible until I moved to find a vet that would so much as let me volunteer...and I was willing to do ANYTHING. The veterinary assistant who already works there has been working there for years...and his grandmother has been the receptionist for years. He had her to vouch for him. I have no one to vouch for me.)

Anyhow, people have always told me I could never be a vet for various reasons...which I soon learned were stupid reasons. "You're too old!" There's no age limit for vet school. "There's too much math you would never understand." Yes, because instead of teaching me, you brainwashed me into believing it was impossible. Instead of getting me a diagnosis of dyscalculia, you just told me I was "lazy" and "unmotivated". (I do have a diagnosis of dyscalculia. But I got myself diagnosed.) "It costs too much. Only rich people can be vets." There are student loans you can take out. "You won't make much money as a vet" Making money was never the reason I wanted to be a vet in the first place. "It takes too long" Oh sure, because doing something worthwhile only takes a few days. "You have to have people skills." You kinda have to for everything unless you're a hermit. You don't have to have perfect people skills, just not come across as an as*hole to everyone. Some of the same people who tell me I supposedly have no "people skills" are the ones who could benefit from learning some themselves. I'm still working on my GED, being a vet is my ONLY motivation to do so.

Maybe I could have been motivated in grade school if people would have encouraged me to be a vet back then instead of telling me it would be too hard and trying to talk me out of it. (My grades dropped from A's and B's to F's and I didn't care. I didn't have a reason to care.) Anyway, I don't plan to stop until I am an actual DVM. If for some reason I couldn't be a vet, I would probably kill myself. Being a vet isn't just my motivation for getting my GED, it's my reason for LIVING.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 2:33 am

DO IT.

If you haven't gone to college... try... almost everyone qualifies for grants for college. If you are on disability, contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation Office... they can help

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 1:04 pm

Feralucce wrote:
DO IT.

If you haven't gone to college... try... almost everyone qualifies for grants for college. If you are on disability, contact your local Vocational Rehabilitation Office... they can help

I will.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

25 Nov 2016, 1:17 pm

Please never let the judgments of others keep you from pursuing your goals and dreams. You may feel old at 29 but you are not. My father was about your age when he began medical school and was 35 before he began his career as a radiologist (he started as an x-ray tech while he was in the military, which is how he got interested in medicine.) Half of his family told him he was unrealistic and would never be a doctor.

I expect your volunteer work has given you some confidence you can succeed.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2016, 3:58 pm

Private Idaho wrote:
Please never let the judgments of others keep you from pursuing your goals and dreams. You may feel old at 29 but you are not. My father was about your age when he began medical school and was 35 before he began his career as a radiologist (he started as an x-ray tech while he was in the military, which is how he got interested in medicine.) Half of his family told him he was unrealistic and would never be a doctor.

I expect your volunteer work has given you some confidence you can succeed.

Thank you! I started to feel less suicidal ever since I started volunteering. My mother and everyone else wanted to blame a "chemical imbalance" on my suicidal tendencies, or depression...but never wanted to listen when I told them the reason WHY I was so depressed.