Could This Be Considered Autistic Behavior Or Is It Just Me?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mattoid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2016, 8:57 am

A couple of years ago, when I was having some early signs of psychosis (which is why I'm so confused about this), I visited my brother's new apartment. As I left, I forgot to get the soda and notepad that I'd brought. I came back later and found his door locked. He had gone grocery shopping, but I didn't even know or consider this possibility. All I knew is that the door was locked and my stuff was being cut off from me. I went from thinking he was teasing me to thinking he might be in trouble. But what really concerned me was my stuff. The door wound up getting severely splintered.

As I tell people this now, they say that I was being immature. I agree that it was a bit childish, but is this just because of how I am in most circumstances or could it be explained by Asperger's, schizoaffective disorder, or both?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 114 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You seem to have both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits

MBTI Type: INFP
Enneagram Type: 4w5

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2016, 9:03 am

That is classic schitzoaffective disorder. You were sick. Try not to feel too guilty. You were "out of your mind" at the time. Of course, it would be best to try to make it up to your brother anyways. He didn't deserve to have his door broken. If it happens again, try to remember that these thoughts are a part of the way your brain is different, and try to soothe yourself in some less destructive way.

It is most definatly not simply immature. Little kids don't have thoughts like that. At least it's not typical of little kids.
You autism could be at play here - you had an idea of how it things were going to go, and by going grocery shopping unexpectedly, your brother unknowingly changed your plans without warning. But I don't think autism was the major cause here. And it doesn't really matter what diagnosis is at play. Your brain was going haywire at the time because of how you were born. It's not your fault. But it is your responsibility.