Anyone able to handle noise but not silence?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

WolfWhiteFire
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2016, 6:33 pm

People with autism often have trouble with loud noises to my knowledge, but personally I have the opposite problem. I can mostly handle noise just fine, though I sometimes cover my ears when it is especially loud, but I simply can't stand silence. I am not talking about absolute silence, but where the only noises are from you and the systems for the house (heating, air conditioning, water pipes, etc.). Also me and our pets walking around isn't enough. Anyone else have this problem?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 6:35 pm

"I am not talking about absolute silence, but where the only noises are from you and the systems for the house (heating, air conditioning, water pipes, etc.)."

Yeah well see, that isn't silence ...
I'm in an apartment and can hear
my neighbor's heating and air conditioning.
You learn to live with it I suppose.

I love the silence I hear
when I've been able to go out in the countryside
and stay at a bed and breakfast inn
way out in nature.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 6:51 pm

Yes, if it's too quiet all I can hear is all the racing noise in my head. :mrgreen: I have to have some kind of sounds going in the background to provide background distraction.

There Are Four Lights!

WolfWhiteFire
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2016, 6:52 pm

the_phoenix, I didn't really have a better idea of what to call it (though now realize lack of noise would probably be a better term for it), also I think you misunderstood my post. I don't have a problem with the air conditioning and heat and pumps, just with the lack of noise, they produce a small amount of noise, but still not enough for me. I would probably also have a problem with complete silence, my problem is being unable to stand the lack of noise rather than too much. I don't even live in a city, so it isn't that I am used to a lot of noise and so can't stand the lack of it, I just can't stand the lack of it for some other reason.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 9:01 pm

You and I seem to be opposites, WolfWhiteFire.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2016, 9:57 pm

I like silence. But it's hard to find a place where I'm not hearing background noises.

Nermada
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2016, 3:07 pm

I have the exact same problem. I can't stand too much noise but lack of noise makes me feel anxious! Even when I start reading a book, I have to have TV or music on until I start getting entranced in the book and little by little turn the volume down until I can turn it off! I never knew anyone else like me. The first thing I do when I walk in the house is turn on the TV. 8O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 6:18 pm

I'd rather have some sort of noise than silence. I have music softly playing in the background when I'm sleeping.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2016, 8:57 am

I cant handle both extremes.

I HATE silence, when its silent all i can hear is f*****g ringing in my ear or the tiniest sounds or my own damn thoughts. I need some sort of balance. Which is why i enjoy music so much.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

08 Dec 2016, 9:58 am

I like silence, but only if it's absolute silence. Silence with minor noises in the background such as a clock ticking or a fan spinning annoy me more than a lot of noise at once.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

I like silence and to be able to hear my own thoughts, too much noise can be disorientating.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2016, 1:10 pm

l absolutely hate indoor silence. I hear all of the little sounds that most people block out, such as the breathing of other people in the room, the rustling of their clothes, a cat attempting to sneak across the room, clocks ticking, fluorescent lights, the wining of electrical coils in old fashioned CRT televisions... etc. I always have a radio or TV playing along with a fan or two.