i can hear flourescent lights for first time

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2016, 4:16 am

i can hear them in my room with Cochlear Implant for first time i got confused but i know they don't break sometimes bothers NT people and Autistic buzzing noise i can hear it not that loud its sounds same volume as Crickets in distance about 20m away but this light its bout 2.5m above me thats how loud even when i stand up its louder is that what Aspie does? or louder then NT hearing?

Diagnosis Asperger's Syndrome back in 2005
also have Anxiety Disorder, OCD

Severe to Profound on my left ear and have cochlear implant on Right ear i'm Deaf

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 9:43 am

Some people have observed that people with cochlear implants (occasionally even just people with hearing aids) seem to have superior hearing to people with just regular, natural hearing. I've never read anything about differences in hearing between autistic and non autistic people. I would like to- it's an interesting idea.

A long time ago I worked in a factory and they would periodically test our hearing to make sure the sound levels in there were okay. People generally don't have any idea that their hearing is worse or better than anyone else's unless a group of people like that all get tested and compare results. Unless their hearing is really really good or bad of course.

MurdersRow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2016, 10:44 am

Berabara wrote:
i can hear them in my room with Cochlear Implant for first time i got confused but i know they don't break sometimes bothers NT people and Autistic buzzing noise i can hear it not that loud its sounds same volume as Crickets in distance about 20m away but this light its bout 2.5m above me thats how loud even when i stand up its louder is that what Aspie does? or louder then NT hearing?

It's likely a case by case basis, but yes, I can hear the humming and it would drive me batty if I didn't have my ear buds in.

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2016, 11:53 am

MurdersRow wrote:
Berabara wrote:

It's likely a case by case basis, but yes, I can hear the humming and it would drive me batty if I didn't have my ear buds in.

sorry i don't understand what your saying please explain?

Severe to Profound on my left ear and have cochlear implant on Right ear i'm Deaf

Berabara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2016, 11:54 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
Some people have observed that people with cochlear implants (occasionally even just people with hearing aids) seem to have superior hearing to people with just regular, natural hearing. I've never read anything about differences in hearing between autistic and non autistic people. I would like to- it's an interesting idea.

A long time ago I worked in a factory and they would periodically test our hearing to make sure the sound levels in there were okay. People generally don't have any idea that their hearing is worse or better than anyone else's unless a group of people like that all get tested and compare results. Unless their hearing is really really good or bad of course.

whats ur hearing is?

MurdersRow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2016, 11:57 am

Berabara wrote:
MurdersRow wrote:
Berabara wrote:

sorry i don't understand what your saying please explain?

I was agreeing that I can also hear the lights humming at me and it is not a desirable sound of mine. I focus on the humming and it gives me a headache. I have to have music going on my headphones so I do not hear them.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:17 pm

You know, whether NT people can hear lights or not has never come into my head. I'll have to ask my mother tonight.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:24 pm

I am confused... Are you telling me that most people don't hear them?

I can hear fluorescent lights... I also hear CRT monitors when they are powered on (this includes old tube style TVs) and cold cathode tubes...

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:44 pm

I believe most NT people don't hear flourescent lights or noise from CRTs and other electronics.

When I was in schools in the 1970s and complained about the noise the lights and electronics made, this was seen as some kind of extreme case of hypersensitive hearing or even auditory hallucination.

Just last year I had the unnerving experience of having to explain this to a counselor at a special program my daughter was attending. This program supposedly specializes in autism (and every other set of behavioral and emotional issues a kid might have, which should be a warning) but they had no idea that harsh light an noisy devices might be a problem for a client on the spectrum.

They thought she might be delusional or have synesthesia because she said "the sound of the lights" made her feel sick. Lights make light, not sound, they explained. They were really shocked when I explained that the lights do make a sound that is very disturbing to people who are sensitive to it. It was also a particularly nasty color.

Should they be able to tune cochlear implants in some way to filter this?

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 1:58 pm

REALLY?? This does explain a LOT... I had no idea that they couldn't hear it... It's always seemed loud and incomparably distracting...

MurdersRow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2016, 2:13 pm

Feralucce wrote:

I can hear fluorescent lights... I also hear CRT monitors when they are powered on (this includes old tube style TVs) and cold cathode tubes...

My conclusion is based on my co-workers that say they do not hear them. I agree with the Moderator and from what I have read it is not an uncommon Autistic trait to hear frequencies others can not.

owenc
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2016, 2:58 pm

This is interesting. Can someone post up a recording of the noise radiating from Florescent lights? I didn't realize lights produced sound? I haven't personally heard it.

owenc
Raven
Raven

06 Dec 2016, 3:01 pm

Feralucce wrote:

No, I don't generally hear any noise coming "off" lights myself in most cases.

MurdersRow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Dec 2016, 3:11 pm

owenc wrote:
This is interesting. Can someone post up a recording of the noise radiating from Florescent lights? I didn't realize lights produced sound? I haven't personally heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUgSLRJrPY0

Its comparable and every bit annoying.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 3:22 pm

MurdersRow wrote:
My conclusion is based on my co-workers that say they do not hear them. I agree with the Moderator and from what I have read it is not an uncommon Autistic trait to hear frequencies others can not.

Well... I have to say... that's a hell of a thing

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 5:02 pm

All fluorescent lights have what is called a "ballast" in them to regulate the current going into the bulb. Some of these ballasts are ether "electronic" or "magnetic". The body of the magnetic ballasts will give of a noticeable 60Hz hum(50Hz, if your in Europe.) that can be easily herd by most people. The electronic ones are not suppose to make any audible noise, but can if they are wearing out or made cheaply.

Most people on the spectrum that have SPD issues, like me, can actually hear the noise in are heads from just seeing the flickering from the lights. Which is always caused by a magnetic ballast or can be caused by a faulty electronic one.

So to answer your question. It is not uncommon for any one(NT or ASD) to hear electrical noise from a fluorescent light.