Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 10:33 pm

I was wondering how much this applies to others here. You can do quite well on official or online tests of intelligence, but applying it to real life situations is another matter entirely.

To use a baseball analogy I can bat.305 in a training game but it drops to .240 in a competitive game.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2016, 10:36 pm

I think that's true for many Aspies.

It's also true for many NT folks as well.

It's certainly true for me.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 7:30 am

Yes. I have seen it myself, not just with IQ tests, but with any theoretical knowledge. As soon as I try to apply my theoretical knowledge of a subject in a practical application, I forget how to do it.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 9:45 am

This is a great point. And there are the "wrench monkey" types who can do all kinds of things practically but can't explain to you how they did it.

neurotypicalET
Toucan
Toucan

06 Dec 2016, 4:22 pm

Anxiety I guess....online test for example you're doing it on your own time and with little consequence for errors...while in reality you might only have one chance with lifelong consequences.... :D

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 7:44 pm

^ I certainly think being put on the spot doesn't help.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

As recently as three years ago, I would have said this applied to me. However, I have been using my special interests in order to socialize. My interest in tennis inspired me to begin taking lessons last year. I am seeing steady improvements in everything, including my endurance. My interest in different cultures inspired me to sign up for folk dancing lessons. I never thought I could do art, but I did quite well in my watercolor class.

Finally getting my driver's license at age 48 opened a lot of doors for me.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2016, 11:56 am

neurotypicalET wrote:
Anxiety I guess....online test for example you're doing it on your own time and with little consequence for errors...while in reality you might only have one chance with lifelong consequences.... :D

firemonkey wrote:
^ I certainly think being put on the spot doesn't help.

For my first IQ test, EVER, I had a BRILLIANT psychologist administer it----we were just sitting / having a conversation; then, while we were having the conversation, he threw-in questions on the test. I saw him writing-down stuff, but I figured it was just observations of my character / personality / behavior / whatever. When the session was up, he told me my score----I said: "How did you come to THAT conclusion?", then he told me what he'd done. I wanted to kiss his FEET!! LOL (I must add that I had already taken all the other elements of the test, and this part [the questions] was all that was left----so, he just added everything together, right there.)

In regard to the OP: I have long-since known there was a difference between "intelligent", and "smart" (or, "practical intelligence", if-you-will). As a former teacher, I have met SEVERAL intelligent teachers that MANY have complained that they were "stupid" (as in, "boring", "didn't explain things well", "didn't explain things in a logical order", "had too much expectation / assumption that everybody was knowledgeable at the same level", etc.); so, IMO, they weren't very "smart", because it, IMO, takes great consideration in figuring-out how to present the materials, so that they can be understood by a variety of thinkers / learners.

In my life-long quest to be smarter (I had already been told I was intelligent----but, as I said, I didn't feel that was enough)----and, because I knew how differently *I* learned / retained information----I put alot of thought / planning into how I would present what I was teaching; and, if students' thanks and good grades are any indication (I believe grades are a "measure" of how the TEACHER is doing, as well), I'd say I've met my standard of what I feel is a successful teacher (NOT that I still can't learn, MORE / better ways to teach).