Is it true that in some countries people are more/lesssocial

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Logos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 May 2007, 4:32 pm

I heard that people in some countries are more social than in others, by which I mean for example how open and talkative they are with new people or how eager on body contact?

So is it easier for an Aspie to live in some Skandinavian country than in let's say Spain?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 4:40 pm

It's probably true of different cultures. I don't know which though. It probably varies locally as well, depending on city/town etc.

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 5:20 pm

Japanese people are less open, apparently.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 May 2007, 6:25 pm

I found life in London less demanding of social skills than Ireland where I now reside.

cowlypso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2007, 6:30 pm

There are many different customs in different cultures. These can affect how close you are supposed to stand to people, how you greet each other, how much eye contact is expected, how much people touch each other, how expressive people are, and how in-depth people go about certain topics.

It's possible that AS might be more or less accomodated in different cultures, because of the cultural norms. However, I think that there are still tons of social rules, even if it seems to be a less socially intense culture. They would just be different social rules. So I'm not sure how much easier it would really be, just different challenges.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2007, 11:15 pm

Well, In MOSLEM lands, women are to be submissive, quiet, and not show anything. In many Indian cultures, they have arranged marriages. So YEAH, there are DEFINITE differences!

Steve

Last edited by SteveK on 18 May 2007, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowlypso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2007, 11:38 pm

Haha... I keep telling my mom I want an arranged marriage. I think it's the only way that I will ever get married.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 4:01 am

The more northernly Europeans are not as expressive, more private... The Danes and Finns especially.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 4:02 am

Culture Shock is still quite common.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2007, 4:18 am

ChrissandraChrissamba wrote:

Yeah, with all the focus on technology and humility.

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2007, 7:15 am

SteveK wrote:
Well, In MOSLEM lands, women are to be submissive, quiet, and not show anything. In many Indian cultures, they have arranged marriages. So YEAH, there are DEFINITE differences!

Steve

They're only supposed to be like that in front of the opposite sex. 90% of my school (which is a girl-only school) are those extraverted, annoyingly assertive social types who shout "what's the matter? Why are you sad? Tell me!!" in your ear if they see your mouth twitch...
I am the only girl who some anti-girl boys here have managed to get along with...

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2007, 8:34 am

ChrissandraChrissamba wrote:

They don't make much eyecontact, I've heard. They look people in the neck because once upon a time samurai killed everyone who made eyecontact with them (I think it's plausible).

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2007, 11:51 am

I always wanted to live in Poland or Russia, a northern-European Slavic country. I think I'd be happiest with those people.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 12:24 pm

agmoie wrote:
I found life in London less demanding of social skills than Ireland where I now reside.

Perhaps, I should move to London. :wink:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2007, 2:02 am

It's true that some cultures focus more on the individual and privacy, and some focus more on communal life. So, some places it's fine to go and study in your room or whatever, while other places, people spend practically all their waking hours together, and to withdraw to be alone would be considered extremely antisocial or even disturbed. I think in one language (forget which one), the closest word they have that means "alone" is "lonely." For them, to be alone is to be lonely.