Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Iphone31966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2020, 5:06 pm

I ordered a hard hat on Amazon. I wanted one. I just wanted to get one. The solid plastic shell would be waterproof in the rain and keep my head dry.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 5:53 pm

Iphone31966 wrote:
I ordered a hard hat on Amazon. I wanted one. I just wanted to get one. The solid plastic shell would be waterproof in the rain and keep my head dry.

what is weird and unnusual about this?

Danusaurus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 7:23 pm

Iphone31966 wrote:

Are you going to paint it or something? :?

Iphone31966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Oct 2020, 9:24 pm

Nothing weird. An Autistic person getting a hard hat is perfectly normal.

The question is what is normal anyway.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2020, 9:25 pm

I had a pet rock with googly eyes as a kid....

malavois
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Oct 2020, 2:12 am

Normal is an expression of probabilistic frequency. Do lots and lots of people order items online for the purposes of fulfilling sensory experiences? Probably not, but the 95th percentile is still in the same bell curve.

I feel like maybe not enough people explore the exhilaration of self-judgment-free expression for a long enough period of time. What if we lived in a world where nobody cared what other people did so long as no one was hurting themselves or others? I’m being very Pollyanna about this but I often catch myself passing such judgment upon myself and wonder how different I would be if I could accept myself fully and let go of any other unreasonable expectations.

All of which is to say, heck yeah, nothing feels solid and certain like a hard hat.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 4:21 am

I remember a night when many branches were falling from the wind. I wore my bicycle helmet to run between buildings.

A construction-style hard hat is seldom worn off-site or over casual clothing - that will get you noticed as odd.

I had a friend who said that he noticed he was getting a lot of attention when he made a quick trip to the local store. When he got home, he saw a mirror, and that he had forgotten that the hat he was wearing was one he had been carrying around to tidy up and forgotten to store, with big foam "antlers" on it.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 1:42 pm

malavois wrote:
Normal is an expression of probabilistic frequency. Do lots and lots of people order items online for the purposes of fulfilling sensory experiences? Probably not, but the 95th percentile is still in the same bell curve.

I feel like maybe not enough people explore the exhilaration of self-judgment-free expression for a long enough period of time. What if we lived in a world where nobody cared what other people did so long as no one was hurting themselves or others? I’m being very Pollyanna about this but I often catch myself passing such judgment upon myself and wonder how different I would be if I could accept myself fully and let go of any other unreasonable expectations.

All of which is to say, heck yeah, nothing feels solid and certain like a hard hat.

Actually i'm sure lots of people do. Some things that come to mind is buying tickets to an amusement park, Buying scented candles, Buying art.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 1:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I had a pet rock with googly eyes as a kid....

I don't think this is that weird or unusual. The object itself definitely not.

Last edited by Pieplup on 31 Oct 2020, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 1:45 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I remember a night when many branches were falling from the wind. I wore my bicycle helmet to run between buildings.

A construction-style hard hat is seldom worn off-site or over casual clothing - that will get you noticed as odd.

I had a friend who said that he noticed he was getting a lot of attention when he made a quick trip to the local store. When he got home, he saw a mirror, and that he had forgotten that the hat he was wearing was one he had been carrying around to tidy up and forgotten to store, with big foam "antlers" on it.

Ah, yes things that might seem perfectly ordinary in some situations might be werid or unusual to wear use or do in others. But that itself doesn't make the item in question weird. For example wearing a t-shirt to a wedding would be weird and unusual but t-shirts themselves are rather ordinary.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 2:04 pm

Pieplup wrote:
Ah, yes things that might seem perfectly ordinary in some situations might be werid or unusual to wear use or do in others. But that itself doesn't make the item in question weird. For example wearing a t-shirt to a wedding would be weird and unusual but t-shirts themselves are rather ordinary.

I am almost always wearing a t-shirt, but add more layers for a wedding.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 2:17 pm

Dear_one wrote:
Pieplup wrote:

What exactly do you mean by that?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2020, 2:37 pm

Pieplup wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
Pieplup wrote:

What exactly do you mean by that?

A t-shirt is still an undershirt, even if decorated. I am currently wearing one, plus a regular shirt and a cardigan. For a wedding, I might choose a better shirt, add a tie, and substitute a sports jacket for the sweater.