Which word do you prefer, disorder or disability?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bubble Gum Addict
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2017, 8:16 pm

I have a question on the word "disorder" in "Autism Spectrum Disorder." I have thought about it for a while and I am curious about it.

Do you prefer the word "disorder," or do you want to change it to another word like "disability?"

It seems that when I think about the word "disorder," I think about the dictionary definition of it,

Quote:
noun

1.lack of order or regular arrangement; confusion:Your room is in utter disorder.
2.an irregularity:a disorder in legal proceedings.
3.breach of order; disorderly conduct; public disturbance.
4.a disturbance in physical or mental health or functions; malady or dysfunction:a mild stomach disorder.

verb (used with object)

5.to destroy the order or regular arrangement of; disarrange.
(Dictionary.com)

All these definitions of it have a negative connotation and made me think that autism is irregular, disturbing, dysfunctional, and destructive. For some people, the word "disorder" can call up to mind these definitions that appear harsh.

I suggest the word "disability" because it indicates a lack of an ability without using harsher words than "lack". For ASD, a lack of social skills.

Quote:
lack of adequate power, strength, or physical or mental ability; incapacity.
(Dictionary.com)

Those are my thoughts about them. What are your thoughts on "Disorder" and "Disability?" Do you prefer one over the other, or do you not like both?

Also, These definitions are from Dictionary.com. You can also bring up Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary, any kind of dictionary for these two words.

Last edited by Bubble Gum Addict on 31 May 2017, 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 8:23 pm

I don't like either. I think of it as a difference. Wouldn't the world be boring if we were all the same :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 8:28 pm

A person with autism might or might not be "disabled."

A person with autism usually has a "disorder."

A person with a "disorder" is not necessarily "disabled" by it.

petalstatic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 May 2017, 8:30 pm

Someone in another thread referred to it as a "condition." I think I like that term better. Seems a bit more neutral, works on a few levels too. I have a "condition," it's aspergers. Or, I have a "condition," I'll be civil if you don't piss me off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 8:34 pm

If one wants to get even more neutral, one can call autism an "entity."

danieldoesnotexist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 May 2017, 8:52 pm

Disability is a poor word to describe autistic people with. AS doesn't disable you, it causes disorder in your life because of its symptoms.

wtf

Bubble Gum Addict
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2017, 9:03 pm

"Difference" is a good one. It can shows that we who are on the autism spectrum are different and have a different way of thinking and living.

"Condition" is another good one. I always recall that aspergers is a condition rather than a disorder or disability.

For "entity," it is neutral. But I think its a bit too general and somewhat confusing. Is it ok to say that the autism spectrum is a "specific entity?" I hope this reply is not too harsh.

And also, the syllogism was really good and helpful.

Last edited by Bubble Gum Addict on 31 May 2017, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 9:08 pm

Disorder is good for me.
I feel disordered.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
A Picasso looks pretty disordered too but it's still valuable.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:14 pm

I don't really care that much really or even condition works.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2017, 10:57 pm

I never care about wording personally. In my particular case my autism is classified as a disability, to the point where I'm supposed to have a legal guardian with me at all times. But for others who are negatively affected but to a lesser degree, I would think of it more as a D for difficulty.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 2:05 am

I prefer calling autism disability. Because in a few aways it disables us. Like finding it hard to get sarcastic remarks sometimes or having to be more literal about things than a NT. And having social problems and not getting social cues. Despite trying to improve on these things. We are still bad at them and disables us to do social things sometimes.

NikNak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2017, 2:46 am

Some people (including researchers) have started to refer to autism as ASC (autism spectrum condition) which I think sounds more positive than 'disorder' so is a less stigmatising term.

In some contexts it's useful to refer to autism as a disability (such as when accessing supports). I guess people vary in whether or not they feel 'disabled' and/ or 'disordered'. As we all know, you can't be diagnosed without being 'clinically impaired'. I think it's important to find a balance between not labelling people in a way that causes them and others to have negative perceptions while also acknowledging and communicating that there is a difference and support may be required.

jesswah
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2017, 8:15 am

Ummm, neither really. But between those 2 options, I like disorder better from the aspect of it meaning irregular. Though really I don't feel either one fits me well. I don't see myself as disabled and though I might be different, disorder doesn't really fit all that well either. Step in my house and disorder just doesn't fit.... everything is in order! :mrgreen:

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jun 2017, 8:45 am

Its both a terrible disability and disorder to me, i oppose any move to lessen the clinical significance of it since some of us actually have real problems rather than just feeling bad about about labels. If it's just a difference or a condition to you then you don't need the label, when you lessen the significance of it then the people that actually need help might not get it. This whole 'it's just a difference' crap might be what loses somebody healthcare or needed service

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 11:05 am

I don't really have a preference.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 12:47 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Its both a terrible disability and disorder to me, i oppose any move to lessen the clinical significance of it since some of us actually have real problems rather than just feeling bad about about labels. If it's just a difference or a condition to you then you don't need the label, when you lessen the significance of it then the people that actually need help might not get it. This whole 'it's just a difference' crap might be what loses somebody healthcare or needed service
This is exactly how I feel about how Autism affects me.

Wreck It Ralph