People with sensory hyposensitivy still meltdowns/shutdown?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 2:14 pm

Hyposensitivity is less sensory sensitivity than a neurotypical.
Hypersensitivity is more sensory sensitivity than a neurotypical.

I'm talking hyposensitivity here.

Anyone know whether those with hyposensitivity can still have sensory based meltdowns or shutdowns? Logic would seem to say no, they can't.

Of course, even if not, it may still be possible to have meltdowns or shutdowns brought on by other overwhelming circumstances, just not sensory based.

TotallyGeekage
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2017, 5:38 pm

People with hyposensitivity can have meltdowns based off sensory needs. Not getting enough sensory stimulation can be as distressing as getting too much. A lack of sensory stimulation can cause all sorts of problems.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 6:31 pm

I have heard some hyposensitive aspies on youtube describe how the need for sensory input can become painful if they don't get the stimulation they need. And that can cause meltsowns.

Wreck It Ralph

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 6:36 pm

Ive heard that yachtsmen on round the world races for weeks at sea start talking to leprachans sitting in the rigging of their boats because the brain cant take the lack of visual stimuli of the sea after a while.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

Wow. That is really fascinating. I guess it's like people lost in the desert having hallucinations.

Wreck It Ralph