Intense anxiety/fear of the unknown-cowardice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 3:38 am

Is an intense anxiety/fear of the unknown cowardice ? Or is it just a typical ASD thing ?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 3:57 am

I think coward is a word people use as an insult when they don't like someone. No I don't think anxiety is being a coward. Though the dictionary disagrees so if you were to use it in a literal way then yeah. But lot of words are not used in a literal way.

It's also an anxiety thing to fear the unknown. Not everyone with anxiety is autistic but yeah I would think it's a common ASD thing and I swear some people with anxiety also have ASD traits or undiagnosed when they talk about issues with change and how they freak out over change of plans. But anxiety is the only word they know to describe themselves because it gives them that feeling.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 4:40 am

This is about children on the spectrum but I think it might also be applicable to adults https://spectrumnews.org/news/uncertain ... in-autism/

I quote from the article :

Quote:
The findings support the theory that children with autism perceive the world as overwhelming because they have difficulty predicting how situations are likely to unfold2.

This is very much the situation with me . The unknown is full of uncertainty , It's difficult to predict how things will pan out ,and that is very anxiety provoking.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:15 am

firemonkey wrote:
Is an intense anxiety/fear of the unknown cowardice ? Or is it just a typical ASD thing ?

I would not call it cowardice but if having an irrational fear due to anxiety or mental health issues is acting cowardly , I'm a big cowardly custard. I do get anxious over certain unknown things ( not everything ) but that's because I catastrophise in these situation.

Have no idea if it is typical in ASD ( Not Dx ) , nothing appears typical in ASD to me.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 6:23 am

It's not cowardice. It has to be worked on, though.

One of my solutions is to just howl like a wolf.