Why asking what causes autism is the wrong question

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 8:41 am

An interesting article.

Quote:
The animal rights charity PETA recently made a link between autism and drinking cow’s milk. The article on its website discussed research that linked a diary-free diet with a reduction in symptoms of autism in children. The charity cited two particular research projects which suggest a link between drinking cow’s milk and autism. It was originally released a few years ago, but has recently been relaunched on social media causing much discussion.

The research that underpins PETA’s claim is based on two small-scale studies. One was a “blind” study of 20 children, half of whom were given a diet free from gluten and casein – a protein found in mammalian milk – and half who had an unchanged diet. The children were observed for a year and the study concluded that the development of the children in the experimental group was significantly better than the control.

The second study similarly concluded that there may be a link between allergies, such as to cow’s milk, and autism. But both studies are based on very small numbers of children and while they suggest a potential link they do not conclude that an allergy to cow’s milk or gluten causes autism.

There is a long tradition of linking particular behaviours, diets, or public health measures to the development of autism. The most reported, and controversial, link was between the MMR vaccine and development of autism. In 1998, a research paper was published that suggested that the “triple” vaccine against MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) can cause autism in some children.

This has been discredited and widely disproved in medical science research. But the impact of this style of reporting scientific research continues.
Negative spin

We have investigated how research such as this is reported and would argue that it frames autism negatively – something that is to be avoided.

https://theconversation.com/why-asking- ... tion-84628

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 8:45 am

Because there are many causes of autism.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 10:37 am

Maybe PETA and Autism Speaks will end up duking it out.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 12:45 pm

I'm inclined to agree that it's of limited value to ask what causes autism. I'm not quite sure why.....I guess for one thing the genetic factor is probably quite strong. For another, I'd prefer instead to see more research into what causes society to give autistic people such a bad time - I know that in the right community an Aspie doesn't stand out as noticeably different or in need of special help. For a third, they say autism is caused by vaccinations, then it's mercury poisoning, then it's too much milk, then it's refrigerator mothers, all of which suggests to me that they aren't doing very well at finding "the answer."

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 1:31 pm

I guess the less you are into seeing autism as something that needs to be fixed the less you'll be into "the cause of autism".

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Oct 2017, 3:53 pm

I disagree and think that we should be asking about what causes autism. I think it's important to be able to distinguish the causes so that we can know more about it. This would allow for improvements in helping people in relation to autism in many ways. For instance, it could allow improvements in predictive measures. If there are environmental factors that can increase the frequency or intensity of autism, that could be critical, too. Are there environmental factors that give rise to the symptoms in people who lack the genetic traits and would have otherwise turned out NT? Are there environmental factors that reduce the possibility of the autism being a crippling factor for what should have been more severe cases?

Do I believe it is the central question to focus on. No. I think we should be more focused on things like what Autism is, why it makes people different, and how to bridge the gap that exist between autistic people and the rest of society.

What I think is wrong is an ideology that is often attached to asking what the cause is. This is the belief that Autism needs to be cured/removed, as if it were some terrible blight on the population, rather than a diverse group that varies from the norm. It is a dangerous idea that is expressed all too often.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 8:45 pm

I grew up (50s, 60s) when HFA/Aspergers people, unaware of being on any spectrum, when nobody had ever heard of AS, were commonly referred to as eccentric, and it was often used in a warm-spirited way "maybe he is a bit of a character, but we like him". Eccentric wasn't a term of abuse. It could also be used negatively, though very very rarely.

The thing is, no-one ever asked:
"What causes eccentricity? How can we cure it? How can we make these eccentrics behave normally, like everyone else? Why don't they make an effort to be normal? Eccentricity is a disease, so doctors should be looking for a cure.
Should we try leeches to cure them? A diet of carrots and broccoli? Should I keep my eccentric at home, is it safe to be around someone like that?"

This inclusive attitude didn't extend to those of subnormal intelligence, which arose from various syndromes, like FXS and others. However the HFA Asperger Syn adults lived in a time of widespread tolerance. (In New Zealand) Other forms of difference, interestingly, were not treated indulgently. Certainly not homosexuality, nor left handedness.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 9:27 pm

B19: 100%. So often, implicit in the search for a cause is the wish for a cure. (Exceptions noted for explorations driven by a sense of wonder/curiosity, as in, "what are the optimum conditions to produce multiple rainbows?")

Disclaimer: even though I paid dearly for my Asperger's over the last 20 years (socially and, alas, professionally), I wouldn't give it up for all the kingdoms of the world and the glory thereof. In a very real sense, it (and cats) got me through the last 20 years!

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 10:16 pm

PETA is an animal *wrongs* group. They have killed animals with their so-called "kindness". Like when they stole live fish from a restaurant and released them into rivers and lakes. The fish were of the saltwater variety, so they all died anyway. Another time they released minks from a farm into the wild, but the minks were not wild animals and they died anyway in a few days because they were used to getting food and shelter from humans.

That's why the whole milk causes autism thing is utter hogwash. They think they know everything about animals, but they don't. I hate the guilt they make me feel every time I eat something non-vegan and claim that I'm an omnivore.

Testingwaters
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Oct 2017, 11:16 pm

I get what you're saying, but their could also be a positive or no effect to knowing the cause of something. I do find closure to my dwarfism cause. Knowing the causes of a condition could better help you, not necessarily mask or seek to erase a conditions, but take care of yourself and let others accommodate you. And while people have found the causes of hearing loss, there is still a lot of 'Deaf pride'.