People who seemingly talk to themselves in public

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 5:58 am

Somehow, I've lately gotten increasingly bothered by people who appear as though they're talking to themselves in public places. I have trouble discerning whether they're insane or just talking into a hands-free system. (I'd hope for the latter.)

I didn't use to have a problem with this - it's a very recent development. I guess having spent time with a mentally ill student colleague has changed my perceptions slightly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 6:05 am

I've experienced it, although I'm not bothered by it.

I myself have the tendency to think out loud and speak verbally to my "imaginary" friends on a regular. Though due to how weirded out people would be from it, I only do it in privacy, such as my room. When I do go out in public however, I usually keep any conversations I have with other entities strictly in my head.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 6:41 am

I run in to people like that from time to time too, but it doesn't really bother me unless they're really loud or talking dirty.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 7:21 am

I have the same problem with hands-free systems, and often wonder how the people using them don't worry that they look like a nutjob walking around talking to themselves, when they could just as easily use a phone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 7:55 am

I get annoyed when I see someone talking into one of those little wireless ear things, it makes me look, because I think that they're talking to me or to themselves, being so they're not holding anything to their ear. I'd be too self-conscious if I used a tiny wireless ear piece to talk to someone, because I'd feel like everybody's staring and thinking that I'm insanely talking out loud to myself, being so I get stared at even when talking to someone on my actual phone. :roll:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2017, 8:03 am

I too find it disturbing when people appear to talk to themselves. If I see that they are actually on the phone, it's a relief, but I usually can't tell. I am uncomfortable around people who talk to themselves or exhibit other red flag behavior.

About 11 years ago I was in the basement floor of a shop and a woman walked around there. Suddenly she said hi, and since she was a few meters away from me I assumed she talked to me. I reluctantly mumbled some response, not really wanting a conversation with a stranger. She continued to say more, and then I saw her ear piece and was relieved that she was neither crazy nor talking to me. I was embarrassed that I had replied to her greeting though! :oops:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Introverticalibrated
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Dec 2017, 12:53 pm

I'll do this slightly under my breath when I have a set of tasks to prioritize at work or anything labor related (moving around + using both hands + looking/tracking elsewhere) TBH I don't even have to be listening to myself but it helps by adding another avenue for my brain to process; It's not high risk information so it doesn't matter if anyone hears. If I'm not busy though I have no need.

Sometimes I go out of my way to do it in the work place at near normal volume (still talking to myself mind you) because it seems to kick coworkers into gear, like I just delegated jobs that needed to be done without actually being bossy... just weird.

Also bluetooth ear things can burn in a fire, If I accidentally respond to this voodoo and they give me an odd look I shoot them back an even stranger look. I'll cross my eyes if I have to.

Or which way the river's flowing...
Is it raining, is it snowing, is a hurricane a-blowing?
Not a speck of light is showing so the danger must be growing!
All the fires of hell are blowing, is the grizzly reaper mowing?
YES! the danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing, and they're certainly not showing,
ANY SIGNS THAT THEY ARE SLOWING! OOOOAAAAAHHHHHHH!

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 12:53 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I am uncomfortable around people who talk to themselves or exhibit other red flag behavior.

That's a good way to look at it. Because it makes sense why people talking to themselves out loud would be disturbing - it's an indication that the person may be a danger, as talking to yourself out loud in public is not a socially acceptable behaviourism and thus, suspicious and possibly an indication of risk.

Introverticalibrated wrote:
I'll do this slightly under my breath when I have a set of tasks to prioritize at work or anything labor related (moving around + using both hands + looking/tracking elsewhere) TBH I don't even have to be listening to myself but it helps by adding another avenue for my brain to process; It's not high risk information so it doesn't matter if anyone hears. If I'm not busy though I have no need.

I think that's pretty normal, to sort of mumble to yourself when doing something - eg when you've lost something and are looking for it, it's pretty normal to be mumbling "now where did I put it? It's not in the bedroom, where else have I been?" etc.
I think the topic is more commenting on people who have loud, full, one-sided conversations with themselves in public places, like you would on a hands-free phone.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:03 am

This is one of my pet peeves and I have always hated blue tooths. Sure when I see someone talking to themselves, I always look for the wire and see if they have anything in their ear. I also can't stand it when I see random strangers shouting, especially when they are angry and they are just yelling randomly. I have seen it at light rail stops here, on the commute train and then I hate it when other passengers yell at them to shut up because I always think they are going to escalate it. I think all these people have mental issues because no one will talk to themselves like that and start shouting or ranting. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that because I don't want people to know my thoughts and I don't want any attention. It's amazing how many people ignore it but I still don't want to do it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 1:07 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I too find it disturbing when people appear to talk to themselves. If I see that they are actually on the phone, it's a relief, but I usually can't tell. I am uncomfortable around people who talk to themselves or exhibit other red flag behavior.

About 11 years ago I was in the basement floor of a shop and a woman walked around there. Suddenly she said hi, and since she was a few meters away from me I assumed she talked to me. I reluctantly mumbled some response, not really wanting a conversation with a stranger. She continued to say more, and then I saw her ear piece and was relieved that she was neither crazy nor talking to me. I was embarrassed that I had replied to her greeting though! :oops:

People have actually gotten mad at me for responding because I didn't know they were on their phone. I mean how stupid can they be to expect people to know they are on their phone? Then they act like I am the rude one. If they are looking at me or looking my way, I am going to think they are talking to me. Of course if I am by myself and someone starts talking to me, i always look at them first before responding. That saves the embarrassment.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Dec 2017, 6:25 am

People talking on those ear thingies are really bothering to me, because they're in a conversation with someone else tat I cant see. That is really confusing and irritating to me. But I don't mind when people are obviously speaking to themselves, because I do that a lot too. If I'm in a crowd, I will mumble or sing to myself, because it helps me take the focus off everything that's happening around me. So I guess I'm not bothered by others doing it because I think I can relate.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Dec 2017, 6:38 am

I talk to myself. Sometimes, when I'm deep in my thoughts, I do it in public.
I know some people find it annoying but it helps me to sort my thoughts out.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Enceladus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2017, 7:06 am

Once we get AR glasses it's gonna be even more common with people having conversations with invisible people. AR glasses will be basically all you're smart phone functions in your normal day to day glasses. All the big tech companies has been investing lots of money researching this tech for a while now, Apple, Microsoft, Google. Also along with speech we might get gesture control, so expect to see people waiving their arms about when they talk to their invisible friends hehe :lol:

If you're interested in this sort of tech and how it might look like I can recommend the book "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbows_End

I seemingly talk to myself when I'm engaged in a virtual reality social world. I've been doing that a few times when at my local makerspace, having a conversation with my friend who lives on the other side of the country. But then it's quite clear to anyone around me what I'm doing because of the the big head mounted display I'm wearing and they can also see what I sees on my monitor. Last time I did this I had a conversation with my friend on the moon.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 9:55 am

Enceladus wrote:
Once we get AR glasses it's gonna be even more common with people having conversations with invisible people. AR glasses will be basically all you're smart phone functions in your normal day to day glasses. All the big tech companies has been investing lots of money researching this tech for a while now, Apple, Microsoft, Google. Also along with speech we might get gesture control, so expect to see people waiving their arms about when they talk to their invisible friends hehe :lol:

If you're interested in this sort of tech and how it might look like I can recommend the book "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbows_End

I seemingly talk to myself when I'm engaged in a virtual reality social world. I've been doing that a few times when at my local makerspace, having a conversation with my friend who lives on the other side of the country. But then it's quite clear to anyone around me what I'm doing because of the the big head mounted display I'm wearing and they can also see what I sees on my monitor. Last time I did this I had a conversation with my friend on the moon.

What do you mean by "invisible people"? People online? For me specifically when I mention "imaginary" I'm referring to talking to non physical entities, fictional characters that live on other planets (based on my beliefs of the multiverse). Such tool wouldn't really serve any use for that large percentage of conversations I have on a daily bases.

Although I still have social anxiety online, I tend to use Second Life when I want to lurk and listen to all the offensive things people say through voice chat. Though most of the time I just have two Second Life viewers open, one for myself and one for my soulbonds so we have another way to interact with each other. I also have a friend who has used a VR Headset for meetings. Then again...I don't really do much of such things out in public. When I'm out in public, it's just go to place, get stuff and come back home.

MariaTheFictionkin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 10:28 am

Actually, now that I think about it... I do have the tendency to mumble threatening comments about wanting to annihilate humanity and my utter hatred for society under my breath out in public without even knowing half the time. Usually only happens when I'm in a lot of stress or just in a super sour mood at that moment.

I realized this when I had my little trip to the main office at my complex. Unless someone's ear was right where my mouth is, no one would be able to make out the words. But I usually avoid people on the streets and sidewalks anyways, which is actually very noticeable in how I transition from one sidewalk to another just to avoid 1 person....meh.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2017, 10:35 am

I sometimes "talk to myself" in public.

Most people, though, are talking to somebody on the phone when they seem to be "talking to themselves" in public.

I guess I sometimes wonder if somebody is talking to me when they're talking on the phone.