I don't understand social media at all.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2018, 7:34 am

Hello, I don't know if anyone else thinks about social media the way I do and I apologize if anyone on here does all the things I am about to mention but I don't get social media. Im talking Facebook, snap chat, Instagram and Twitter.

I do have Facebook but I only use it for the hobby groups on there but I often get frustrated when logging on to Facebook to see friends and other people filling up my feed with pictures of themselves constantly called 'selfies' doing poses to try make themselves look like models or something, people documenting their lives on there and telling you literally everything they are doing and eating, acting like celebrities and making their lives seem interesting, cool and great compared to reality and it all just seems very narcissistic to me.

I see countless pictures with captains saying "just had my hair cut", " eyebrows looking good ", "I didn't like the other one", " just back from the gym" and also tagging me in pictures of themselves with song lyrics as the caption and every time I see all this I just think who the hell cares? I don't care you've just had a haircut, I don't care about your new shoes or the fact you are just going down the shop. I don't get why these people think the world cares about everything they are doing.

And Snapchat and Instagram get on my nerves as I was told to download it By a friend and all they are filled with is again, pictures of people I know acting like celebrities when In reality they live in a council estate with their parents, have no money, a crap job and and drive a Rusty bag of junk just like me yet I don't feel the need to exaggerate my life to seem cool when most of the world really don't care or even know you exist. I know what all my friends look like and get sick of all the narcissistic, pictures plastered over my feed. Not to mention people posting their problems like no one else has issues too and having full blown family arguments online instead of keeping it private. As I say it all just seems like a narcissistic, attention seeking load of crap.

I don't mean to offend anyone on here who does all the things I've moaned about but that's just how I see it as I really don't understand any of it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 7:49 am

My newsfeed is more packed with people sharing those short videos of a written meme which could easily just be a picture because nothing happens in the video, just a screen with the same words on for 2 minutes. :?

Also what bothers me on Facebook is popular people who post a picture and get about 30 comments. I try to avoid posting a comment in these because I get notified each time someone adds a comment, even though the notifications for the post are disabled.

I don't use Twitter, Instragram or Snapchat.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 8:16 am

It recently occurred to me I was having more much fun in Facebook Groups relating to Art or Movies and really nothing to do with socializing with people or family I know in real life. This made me feel that Facebook as a social network is worthless so I decided to quit and delete my account.

I may instead get my news from Twitter and participate in discussions on forums or try Reddit.

I guess my final thought is I think Facebook is actually a terrible influence on people or social behavior and I hope some day it collapses like MySpace. I think the Feed or Wall of posts is bizarre as people start to communicate more in the form of Blurbs or Memes. I also found it frustrating how Facebook brings together social circles that do not belong together like Work, Friends, and Family. Ok that's my rant.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 8:25 am

I don't do any of them. I did used to text people but I found I never did it enough to satisfy anyone so I gave up, life's much easier now.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Feb 2018, 11:56 am

I agree with you!
I am always surprised when someone travels but post selfies instead of the country! Jeez, how annoying. I dont want to see your face for the 133323 time this week, I rather see your hotelroom, the streets of the place you visit, anything... but not a close up on your face.

Another person I know from a distance always making big fake smiles-selfies with her 4-year old. Its like "look how crazy we are" I never liking those pics.

I refuse ALL social media exept instagram because my family lives hours away and we follow each other that you, if we lived closer, I would be totally wrong by using that s**t because I learn that people screening alot, if you living too good ppl hates you, being to sad, depressed or just lonely and down, they ignores you, if you not having a rich social life they can benefit from in some way the avoid you. Peoples real colors do come through to social media for sure.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 4:58 pm

The other night I was next to a table of techies in my local curry house. I recall a nugget of their conversation:
"Facebook is basically an advertising agency"

It mines words from your posts to push add for stuff to your page.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 7:37 pm

I get sick of the obnoxious people on Facebook who feel the need to post every detail of their lives. Do people really need to constantly rub each other's in each other's "successful" lives? Do people even think about what potential employers and current employers might see on their Facebook pages? People also love to put all their personal drama on Facebook. Facebook definitely brings out people's true colors.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Feb 2018, 11:04 am

I don't like seeing selfies neither, especially when some people do it several times a day.
I just unfriend people like that.

I mainly use facebook for sharing funny things/ interesting videos about science ,etc.
I do occasionally do selfies if I have a new hair cut or something, but not like everyday.

I've read that people who do a lot of selfies actually have psychological problems.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 2:02 pm

I like the hobby-groups on facebook because I learn a lot from them, and I like instagram because I only follow the accounts that are about things that interest me.
But the narcissistic side of social media is truly awful.
My biggest problem is that I feel like I'm a part of it. I don't do selfies or share my private life, but I do upload my art on facebook and instagram, because it's how I get jobs. I love being able to work with art, but having to market myself like that is absolutely terrible. I feel like I'm selling my soul to the god of arrogance every time I upload a picture. It's embarrassing. A necessary evil.

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2018, 2:16 pm

Embla wrote:
I like the hobby-groups on facebook because I learn a lot from them, and I like instagram because I only follow the accounts that are about things that interest me.
But the narcissistic side of social media is truly awful.
My biggest problem is that I feel like I'm a part of it. I don't do selfies or share my private life, but I do upload my art on facebook and instagram, because it's how I get jobs. I love being able to work with art, but having to market myself like that is absolutely terrible. I feel like I'm selling my soul to the god of arrogance every time I upload a picture. It's embarrassing. A necessary evil.

I do think it's OK if people upload the odd selfie now and then like for a profile picture but most people I know do it all the time. But you're definitely not being a part of it by uploading your art. I love seeing art online. I think it's great when people like you have talent like that and share it on social media. I have an artist friend on Facebook and love viewing his art whenever he posts something new.
Its just when people constantly feel the need to seek attention by adding picture after picture of themselves online and exaggerate their lives like they are trying to impress everyone by making it out that they are living the dream. Not to mention people who post statuses every day like my old work colleague, 'now cooking dinner, picking the kids up from school and then painting my living room later'. I see statuses like it all the time and don't get why they think the world gives a crap about everything they are doing.

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2018, 2:22 pm

Joe90 wrote:
My newsfeed is more packed with people sharing those short videos of a written meme which could easily just be a picture because nothing happens in the video, just a screen with the same words on for 2 minutes. :?

Also what bothers me on Facebook is popular people who post a picture and get about 30 comments. I try to avoid posting a comment in these because I get notified each time someone adds a comment, even though the notifications for the post are disabled.

I don't use Twitter, Instragram or Snapchat.

I get what you mean. I love memes but don't understand why people post a video Like that when a simple picture is much more appropriate. Also my sister is like that. She posts pictures of herself on Facebook and in 3 days gets 500 likes because the positions she does and what she wears make out like she's advertising herself to men. She loves the attention too much. Little does she know there are probably perverts jerking off over her pictures and I don't get why you would want that.

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2018, 2:31 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
It recently occurred to me I was having more much fun in Facebook Groups relating to Art or Movies and really nothing to do with socializing with people or family I know in real life. This made me feel that Facebook as a social network is worthless so I decided to quit and delete my account.

I may instead get my news from Twitter and participate in discussions on forums or try Reddit.

I guess my final thought is I think Facebook is actually a terrible influence on people or social behavior and I hope some day it collapses like MySpace. I think the Feed or Wall of posts is bizarre as people start to communicate more in the form of Blurbs or Memes. I also found it frustrating how Facebook brings together social circles that do not belong together like Work, Friends, and Family. Ok that's my rant.

Its been the same for me. I do use Facebook as I have a group chat with 3 friends and talk to the odd family member or work colleague but besides this I don't really care much for the social aspect of Facebook, just the hobby side. I do a lot of metal detecting so I'm part of several metal detecting groups and I'll log in every now and then to look at ancient artifacts and coins others have found.

Also I agree. I believe Facebook is partly responsible for some of the stupid things people do have done like the tide pod challenge, neknomination and so on.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:44 pm

I don't begrudge people their need to make their lives seem better, so that they can cope. It seems to be the new way for people to convince themselves that they're happy and fulfilled, and I can't find too much fault in it because it's fairly difficult to financially sustain one's self these days.

So mostly I ignore that kind of stuff. Thankfully I have only a small handful of people on my Facebook. Most of them post things that are worthwhile to look at.. a daughter's first birthday, a new motorcycle, a big life event, etc. But some of them.... some of them seem to really get off on arguing with other people and putting others down over Facebook. I unfollow those people. We run in the same general circles, so I don't unfriend them, but I don't need to see the things they post.

I use Facebook primarily to keep in contact with extended family and friends I otherwise don't talk to much. I like to know how they're doing in general, and it provides a good medium for it.

As for Instagram, I follow companies that are in the organic and handmade businesses so that I can keep abreast of any trends or new information I might otherwise miss that could be useful to what I do. I post pictures of my pets, beautiful scenery I want to share and recall again later, or special moments in my life. I'm not fond of taking selfies, I never know really what to do with myself when I'm getting my picture taken. I have a few, my attempt at trying out social media culture, but overall I'm not interested. Thankfully after a couple of decades, at least people have stopped asking me to smile more.

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2018, 11:51 pm

I don't even have facebook. I agree the whole thing is odd. I'm so old I was a around when Myspace was big. And I quickly found I was not in anyone's top 8. At the time I did have one or two people that I talked to so it made me sad. Guess I meant nothing. The top 8 was like a link at the bottom to the other guys page with their picture.

On facebook no one would even talk to me. I realized I had no friends so the whole idea of going to a place online to see them was stupid. Several years latter and I do not have a single post on facebook from anyone. You can't deleate the page as far as I can figure out so I just changed my name to a fake one and have no pictures on there. I don't want it to exist.

I look at my sisters page and family posts all the time. Family that in my 32 years on earth I have never even spoken to. I get it it's partly me too I did not make a relationship because I don't like these people.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:09 am

I have FB but I only have 3 friends who are nice sensible people so I'm not constantly bombarded with pointless updates and selfies thank God. I don't do hobby groups but I do like feeds from sites like I F#cking Love Science, Wired, Al Jazeera, Fail Army, FML and other great time wasters. I also follow some people like Berkeley Breathed who's an artist and Bruce Schneier who's a cyber security guy. I don't have to interact on any of these feeds. I just read them to keep up with things.

I did have a creepy FB experience recently. I went to a therapist and he told me his wife is an equestrian too. This was odd as I hadn't mentioned horses and in fact, I no longer have any. I told him I don't have horses and he said "But on Facebook you have lots of pictures of your horses." and then he picked up a piece of paper and started reading out all the names of the horses I used to have. This really freaked me out because my FB page is a closed page. Members of the general public can't see anything. When I got home, I checked the log-in record and my account was logged into by an i-pad from a place I haven't been to in over 20 years. The creep hacked me :evil: Needless to say I'm never going back :ninja: .

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

yeah i just have facebook for the memes. and even then usually its s**t all i get is ads.

i also dont understand Selfies. why have so many photos of yourself all the time. i understand a few here and there but some people take like 20 a day can you calm down! i dont remember the last selfie i took.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com