Learning difficulties. People think WTF. Anyone else?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 4:44 pm

I’m sure when I mention learning difficulties people think " WTF are you talking about? You’re highly verbal " People latch on that to say I’m highly intelligent. The thing is it’s true in some ways but not in others ie my non-verbal intelligence is low/very low. I’m probably one of the most impractical people you’d ever meet.Then there’s the issue of people confusing learning difficulty with learning disability where they think you’re insisting you’re intellectually challenged (IQ <70).

I think my stepdaughter gets it more than most. She’s one smart person

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 5:15 pm

I think people tend to mistake differences in communication (especially being mute or speaking little) with lack of intelligence.

Also, many of us here will tend to take things literally, or maybe use words in different aways than most, which could be mistaken as lack of intelligence. I often do this. But, I guess the difference between me and someone with an intellectual disability is that, while I may misinterpret, I can understand the other person if they explain better, or I think about what they're saying.

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

Lil_miss_lois
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Nov 2018, 5:55 pm

I hate "learning disability" because it makes me sound unintelligent but I'm actually exceptionally bright. I just struggle with sensory information.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 6:14 pm

HighLlama wrote:
I think people tend to mistake differences in communication (especially being mute or speaking little) with lack of intelligence.

Also, many of us here will tend to take things literally, or maybe use words in different aways than most, which could be mistaken as lack of intelligence. I often do this. But, I guess the difference between me and someone with an intellectual disability is that, while I may misinterpret, I can understand the other person if they explain better, or I think about what they're saying.

Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

That can be part of it .

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 10:12 pm

I'm the opposite I struggle with communication. In college when I had to write an essay I knew all the answers but had no idea how to start an essay. In some ways I think I am highly intelligent but in others I am way below average.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 10:14 pm

I do have a learning disability. NVLD. Can’t retrieve information for free recall.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2018, 10:51 pm

I get told pretty much the same thing. People tell me, "But you're so articulate."

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 2:33 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
I do have a learning disability. NVLD. Can’t retrieve information for free recall.

I think I fit NVLD more than ASD. It's almost impossible to get it recognised in the UK though . Certainly the ASD assessment centre in my area doesn't cover it.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2018, 9:20 am

I guess I had learning difficulties considering I was in special ed back in the day.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

13 Nov 2018, 7:46 am

I'm dyslexic & I tell people that to help explain some of my issues & behavior. There's more awareness about that than autism so others tend to judge dyslexics less negatively than autistics. I really am less intelligent compared to the average person. I don't have any special skills/talents/strengths that us Aspies are stereotyped to have. I just have all the problems/issues instead

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2018, 9:54 am

I am not intellectually or learning disabled but, for a long time, I was functionally disabled. I had only my education to hold onto as evidence that I wasn't disabled. Even today, with all of my vast improvements, all coming within the past five years, I am still nowhere close to having everything the average NT has. I am working on getting there by the time I'm 60, but it will take a lot of work.