Yes but I didn't get it until after I was 25 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
No 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
No but I intend to get one in the future 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 72

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 1:07 am

I don't drive for a couple of reasons. For one I grew up with my mother as my sole parent, and she doesn't have a license, so I've never had a car in my immediate family, making learning to drive pretty much impossible, and even if I did learn I wouldnt have a car to drive. The second reason is that I have very poor vision in my right eye, and even with glasses on I'd imagine my peripheral vision wouldn't suffice, or at very least it would be worse than that of someone with 20/20 vision. Even without the reasons I've mentioned so far, I don't know how I'd cope on the road, and considering all the barriers I've mentioned I honestly don't think there's much point even trying for my license.

What about you? Do you have a driver's license?

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2018, 1:12 am

I had a driver's license briefly. I learnt to drive when I was 18 but then lost my license later. My vision had problems, one was down to motion sickness and the other was where my eyes couldn't handle brightness. The DVLA took my license and I haven't driven since.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 1:18 am

I have a driver's license but no car. I'm perfectly happy not having a car.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 2:56 am

I actually recived a license but voluntarily gave up driving. While I never got into an accident I knew it was a matter of time.

Not driving has a number of significant disavantages. It going to take you 3 or 4 times longer to get to destinations. Many destinations within easy range for most is out of reach for you. This puts many lucrative and fulfilling jobs out of your reach. It means waiting lengthy times for a bus sometimes multiple times per trip in all sorts of weather meaning you arrive, cold or sweaty, or soaked. Walking is dangerous at times as drivers do not see you or view you as an obstacle. Outside of the major cities you are a third class citizen.

Dispite all of the above decades later I believe I made the correct decision. Driving involves multitasking, and typical sensory integration. It it one thing to do well enough on side streets in the controlled atmosphere of drivers education and a drivers test, it is another thing to be safe on a highway jammed with angry, distrated motorists.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2018, 3:12 am

SplendidSnail wrote:
I have a driver's license but no car. I'm perfectly happy not having a car.

I'm happy without my car as well. It's less expense and saves me a lot of money each month.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 3:48 am

I have my license but haven't driven in years. I'm just too scared and the roads are too hectic here.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 4:16 am

I never got my license for much the same reasons as you, mom had no car, was never motivated to learn it myself. Here in the Netherlands you can get by fine with PT or the bike, or even on foot for shorter distances. It's a densely populated small country with a great infrastructure. I don't intend on getting my license.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 5:37 am

The only driving I did was down a private country lane with my father as a teenager. I have slow reactions, am not good at judging distances and have poor hand-eye coordination. I am aware I would be death on the roads if I ever got behind the wheel of a car on the main road.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 5:56 am

My gross motor skills are very poor, so I've never tried. I can't ride a bike or swim or climb either.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 6:46 am

I didn’t get my license until age 37.

I do okay driving. I sometimes get flustered on unfamiliar roads.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 7:31 am

I got my license for the first time at age 48.

Faith92
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2018, 7:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I didn’t get my license until age 37.

I do okay driving. I sometimes get flustered on unfamiliar roads.

I got anxious on unfamiliar roads as well and I found driving at night time hard as well, I found other cars lights too bright so avoided night travel whenever possible.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 7:40 am

I was HORRIBLE at driving when I was a teenager and didn't get my license until I was 21. I still get nervous in bigger cities but I live in a smaller city which is fine.

I have to drive my husband around because my husband did used to drive but one day he caused a severe accident, gives him PTSD along with other trauma in his life...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

jamthis12
Toucan
Toucan

27 Nov 2018, 7:57 am

I might get my license at some point, but right now I have neither the time nor the inclination to get it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 9:50 am

Driving at night here is not as bad as driving between noon and five o'clock. That's when all the really crazy drivers come out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2018, 9:52 am

I have some trouble driving in the rain at night.