Do you laugh at things that are not considered funny?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NatureLover
Raven
Raven

02 Jan 2014, 1:54 am

I find certain, simple things funny when it isn't for others. I do burst out laughing when I'm at home. I don't usually do this in public because I am aware how stupid I look. In public, I just try not to laugh and hide it. Simple things that make me laugh are for example:

-When someone's pencil falls on the floor and they immediately pick it up.
-When my annoying, next-door neighbor slams her door. There's just something about the way she slams that door that amuses me, although I do find it irritating.

-When two people are arguing or fighting.
-When someone sneezes. I remember turning red from laughing at my chemistry teacher who sneezed a couple of times, but no one else found it funny. I even laugh at myself when I sneeze.

-Drunk people, no one else laughs like I do and I've been told that I exaggerate a lot when I laugh at someone who is drunk and that it isn't funny. How would it not be?

Is it me or do you find some simple or strange situations funny? This could be the reason why when I try to make jokes, no one laughs. I may come out as rude, but there are times when I can make people laugh, jut not always. Humor to me is a little confusing. Sometimes I laugh for no reason.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 3:32 am

Nietzsche had a wicked aphorism, "A joke is an epitaph on the death of a feeling." When someone sneezes, or drops a pencil, or slams a door, there are no feelings involved. Maybe you are feeling a little moment of surprise?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 4:31 am

I can't think of a specific example, but I notice details others miss. So I will see something no one else does and start laughing. A lot of times it is mental imagery that will make me suddenly start laughing. Like if a girl has on a lot of makeup, I will picture her putting it on and start laughing. I laugh at random sounds that only I notice or think sound funny.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 5:24 am

Sometimes, yeah, but quite rarely these days.

My seemingly random laughter every once in a while is almost always due to recalling something funny I'd seen or heard recently, or a memory of someone/something I found funny vs. laughing at something live in the moment that I find funny and others don't.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 8:19 am

once, i was ordering food at DQ, and say a paper bag fall down, i laughed a little too hard and for too long. i also laugh at memories in my head, when im bored, i make 'TV' in my head and watch it, its sometimes very funny, ecspecially during class.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2014, 10:15 am

When I laugh at something that isn't (or shouldn't be...) funny, it's almost always in the presence of other people and is rarely something I would have laughed at had I been alone. It's really annoying.

Last edited by UndeadToaster on 02 Jan 2014, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2014, 11:36 am

Absolutely. Like a student with bad behavior or someone dropping thier books on the floor. :lol:

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 1:41 pm

My stepdad does this and it's annoying to me.

He does it when he appreciates something or something was said that he found particularly apt.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 3:25 pm

A laugh literally means "This alarming situation is not dangerous (to me, now.)" Sometimes, further laughing can be triggered by memories awakened by the first one.
My most recent "odd" laugh was from reading my town newsletter. Cats must now be kept on a leash or otherwise confined, even though there is an ancient principle in British law that "It is in the nature of cats to wander." The coyotes are usually enough to keep them cautious, and they never wear collars.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:23 pm

Mostly I'm the opposite, a lot of jokes don't make me laugh, though it's not depression or a poor sense of humour because my preferred kinds of comedy material often work very well on me. But I do seem to find situations where somebody ineptly and unsuccessfully tries to deceive people rather funnier than most folks do. Don't know why. OTOH that's a fairly popular form of comedy anyway so I'm probably not that aberrant. Sometimes I'll laugh out loud if I get a run of unexpected challenges. I think it's just a way of burning off the stress of the situation though. And I used to have trouble avoiding laughing if anybody got angry with me, which rarely went down well. I wasn't trying to belittle their feelings, again I think it was just burning off the stress, and maybe I was also seeing their expressions and body language as bizarre and therefore funny.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 7:13 pm

I remember when I was about 15 at school we were in a classroom that had developed a hole in the ground due to misuse and vandalism that went on a lot at my school. One of the desks had one leg in the hole, making the desk lopsided, and none of the kids in the class seemed to care. But then the teacher asked the nearest boy to the desk (which nobody was sitting at), "could you put that desk right? It seems to have fallen down a hole." And the way she dryly said it made me laugh, but nobody else laughed, and the girl sitting next to me gave me a funny look. I sat there wondering why nobody found that funny, as it was an unusual situation; you don't often see desks half in a hole in a classroom, and usually people laugh at unusual sort of situations.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 6:39 am

Yes. It seems like this is one of the less known traits. People with AS typically have a social disconnect which includes a variety of features that are already confirmed, but one which I think may be humor. I find humor in childish or unusual things but I'm flat affected for pretty much everything else. I comprehend jokes and I find them interesting, but don't often find them funny.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 11:47 am

I do laugh at most things others laugh at, even as a kid. But there are some things I see the funny side to that others don't (and I don't mean sad things, just things like I mentioned in my previous post).

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 11:52 am

Actually what I feel guilty about is one time when I was 11 my friend said: 'my uncle got cancer then he died now my dad's got cancer' and I laughed.

I didn't think it was actually funny I just didn't know what to do and it seemed like an absolutely absurd run of bad luck.

Understandably she got really cross at me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

wrongcitizen wrote:
I comprehend jokes and I find them interesting, but don't often find them funny.

I comprehend them too, but they don't often feel strong enough to make me laugh. I suspect the same could be true of everybody, to a degree, but NTs often fake their laughter while we might not be able to do that so easily.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2019, 12:47 pm

TUF wrote:
Actually what I feel guilty about is one time when I was 11 my friend said: 'my uncle got cancer then he died now my dad's got cancer' and I laughed.

I didn't think it was actually funny I just didn't know what to do and it seemed like an absolutely absurd run of bad luck.

Understandably she got really cross at me.

That happens to NTs, too.