Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

purplecloud
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Feb 2019, 7:12 pm

I don't have any severe sensory issues, but I have a few and two of them seem to be rather uncommon. I do hate certain sounds, I hated having my hair brushed as a kid because it hurt like hell and I hated getting water in my eyes when my mom washed my hair as a kid etc, but these things seem to be pretty common with autistic people.

Two things I've always had an issue with seem to be very uncommon... at least I haven't really found anything on the internet. Well, I've found like two things on one of them, but nothing on the other. Anywaaay, what the issues actually are:

- I have always hated when I get pruney fingers. It's weird, because at the same time I've always loved to swim and be underwater. It's just that I can't touch a lot of things when I get them, because I just hate the feeling. For example, I can't touch my own or other people's skin, ESPECIALLY not their hands if they also have pruney fingers. I basically can't use my hands properly for a period of time, until my fingers are back to normal. This also goes for when I wash my hands, even if my fingers don't really get pruney, I hate the dry feeling so I have to wait until my skin gets it's natural oils back again before I can use them properly.

- As long as I can remember I've hated the feeling people's breath on my skin. I don't really know how to explain it, but you probably get what I mean. When someone is close to you, you can sometimes feel their breath blowing on your skin. I remember as a kid when I was playing computer games with my best childhood friend and when I was the one to control the mouse I obviously had my arm exposed (if I wasn't wearing long sleeves though, but then my hand was still out). When she was sitting beside me, I kept feeling small puffs of wind on my skin and it made me cringe so much from discomfort. In those situations I tried to cover my skin as best as I could, so I would pull my sleeves over my hands (if I wore long sleeves), put a blanket on top or one time I think I even put a pillow on top.... She probably thought it was a bit strange. :lol: This sensitivity (and the sound one) has made me really wonder how I would be able to have a romantic/sexual relationship in the future. I don't think I can deal with cuddling and stuff.

Now, the thing is I've never ever heard or read about anyone having this problem (the breath on skin thing), so I feel very lonely. I have noticed that this could also be triggered by a small fan blowing air on a small part of my skin and I can't sleep with a fan on if it's diracted at me, but I don't get this feeling when it's just windy outside or anything.

Is there anyone out there who have either of these issues, especially the last one???? I can't be the only one, can I?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 7:18 pm

I don't like a lot of different sensations...like the feel of my fingertips after I trim my nails, the feel of wind on my skin on a breezy day. etc. I swear, some days I feel like my whole body has been scrubbed with a wire brush.

I love being underwater or in a place where my whole body is the same temperature and there isn't a breeze.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 7:29 pm

My weirdest one may be the intense pain I have when exposed to music (Without filter)

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

purplecloud

08 Feb 2019, 7:32 pm

DanielW wrote:
I don't like a lot of different sensations...like the feel of my fingertips after I trim my nails, the feel of wind on my skin on a breezy day. etc. I swear, some days I feel like my whole body has been scrubbed with a wire brush.

I love being underwater or in a place where my whole body is the same temperature and there isn't a breeze.

Yeah I don't really like the feeling of newly trimmed nails either, at least I didn't when I was younger. Nowadays I just don't trim them "too" short, so it won't feel so weird. I don't mind wind on my skin when I'm outside too much, it's more small puffs of wind that bother me. Or, rather when it's concentrated on a small spot in my skin. It's not that it hurts, I just hate the sensation.

Yes! Being underwater is amazing, as long as I wear swimming goggles haha.

purplecloud

08 Feb 2019, 7:35 pm

Arganger wrote:
My weirdest one may be the intense pain I have when exposed to music (Without filter)

Aw, that must be a struggle considering you come across music pretty much anywhere you go (if it's not the forest or something).

KingExplosionMurder
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2019, 11:53 pm

I thought I was the only one with those sensory issues!! They're extremely annoying, especially the pruney fingers bc it's kind of unavoidable if you're going to be submerged in water or for when you shower :/

purplecloud

09 Feb 2019, 4:45 am

KingExplosionMurder wrote:
I thought I was the only one with those sensory issues!! They're extremely annoying, especially the pruney fingers bc it's kind of unavoidable if you're going to be submerged in water or for when you shower :/

I'm not alone? 8O

Yeah it's really annoying!! I always try to make my fingers not touch each other first of all, or if I have to touch them I do it very firmly. I've found that gripping things firmly helps with the uncomfortable feeling for some reason. When I shower I also started using exfoliating gloves when I wash my body, so I don't have to touch my skin directly and it helps a lot.

So you also experience the breath on skin issue? You are the first person I've ever "met" with that problem then!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 10:23 am

I can't stand the feel of certain fabrics, such as velour. It gives me the creeps.

losingit1973
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2019, 7:54 pm

Same here. I would stay in the water for hours and get all pruned up. Then I would chew the skin off my fingers along the nail sometimes until they bled. As for breath, I can not stand it! Even my own. My wife has misinterpreted this aversion to rejecting her. I try to explain that it is just plain uncomfortable for me but she does not understand how I can be so sensitive about that and be sensory seeking to the point if injury with other things. I never gave it much thought until recently.

AQ 42

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 8:29 pm

purplecloud wrote:
Arganger wrote:

Aw, that must be a struggle considering you come across music pretty much anywhere you go (if it's not the forest or something).

It has caused me major issues in the past

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 9:18 pm

My intolerance to cold temperatures.

Supposedly not odd when one grew up in a tropical country.
Except in the same settings, everyone around me enjoys the cold -- while I likely end up feeling pain and may end up sick out of nowhere, than comfort and relief from heat.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2019, 11:44 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I can't stand the feel of certain fabrics, such as velour. It gives me the creeps.

Same here. We should start an anti-velour society.