Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Antonela04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2019, 3:02 pm

Anyone have any ideas on how to relax if I get overloaded/ have a minor meltdown?

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 8:36 pm

Deep breathing and yoga. As well as goals and positive thinking

Or maybe Journaling

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Feb 2019, 10:01 pm

Several things have long worked for me: (1) taking a walk outside, (2) gardening, (3) working out in the gym and (4) taking a nap with a cat next to me or on my chest.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2019, 10:13 pm

Mantra

Diversion

Drugs

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 6:37 am

I like walking meditation and Tai Chi. They demand my full attention, distracting me from whatever's stressing me, and they're physical exercise, helping to burn off the adrenaline and cortisol released by anxiety and stress in a way which sitting meditation can't. It's been my experience that having a consistent sitting practice makes me less reactive and more equanimous, resulting in a subjective reduction in feelings of being overwhelmed and an improvement in coping in general.

Despite extensive empirical field research over many years, I have not found drugs to be helpful.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2019, 8:49 am

Essential oils! Well, certain ones. And of course yoga. Pranayama is extremely beneficial, that's how I get through flights (deathly terrified). Lymphatic draining is also ultra beneficial. All these things instantly engage the parasympathetic nervous system, disengage the sympathetic nervous system, and cause your body to stop freaking out.

Because scent isn't my top problematic sensory issue. I have diffusers in my office, my house, I wear oils every day, and I carry around bottles of essential oils everywhere. I also use them for basically treating everything in my life too, so that happens to work out.

If I'm overwhelmed, or I can tell my traps are tensing up and my neck starts to hurt from stress, I use lavender (lavendula agustafolia [aka, the real kind]) and rub it on my neck and sniff my hands with it on them. It brings some immediate relief for sure. But, if scent is a problematic sensory issue for you, it may not work.

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 11:01 am

^Yes lavender oil, I second that. :)

Breathing exercises helps me. If I take the time to focus on my breathing it calms me down and makes me more relaxed almost immediatley.

The same with a cloth soaked in cold water, or something else that is comfortably cold, to cool down my face...it feels good and seems to calm me down.

I find that listening to audio books are helpful if I need to relax and distract my mind. Listening to the voice of someone reading a story that intrigues me, and if it is necessary lay in bed and switch off the lights, quite quickly takes me away from what ever stresses me. I sometimes read books out load to myself as well...

Also simply being out in nature somewhere where there are no other people helps. I have lived places where it was a bit complicated to get to such places and I really felt it was harder for me to cope then. But to just walk around or find a nice place to go to where it is peaceful out in nature has a relaxing effect on me.

Not to forget that the right music for the right moment can change my mood fast. I also sing songs I like to myself for comfort and to get some tension and feelings out of my system.

Hope you find some ways that helps you! :)

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Feb 2019, 11:15 am

Oh I almost forgot about binaural beats!! ! So amazing... there's an app and just use headphones, it'll put you to sleep basically.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2019, 12:10 pm

Alcohol.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

10 Feb 2019, 5:29 am

benzodiaapines
marijuana
alcohol
calming teas
going for a quiet walk
exercise
Watching TV, listening to music or some other hobby you enjoy.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition