Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

eavance 1234
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2019, 10:45 am

I been looking and trying to find tips on ways to manage high functioning Aspergers and yet my search for articles has gone down and I am wondering if there is anyone who can give me so tips or ways to manage this as a adult.

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2019, 11:02 am

Before I even knew that I had Asperger's the tests administered during the process of treating anxiety all came back indicating that my Executive Functioning as at a high level. This matched my high IQ. All this took place some 20 years ago still prior to my diagnosis of Asperger's. I self medicated to the extreme (way not recommended) which eventually took its toll ending up in a complete meltdown. So this is what not to do, right? Having the diagnosis during therapy for PTSD extending my sessions for 3 years. Now my sessions are on an as needed basis, less than once a month. No medications, although now taking CBD oil capsules I would strongly recommend regular therapy sessions. I have also been living in a very small town away from the congestion and stresses of big city dwelling, and that really helps. Not much else I can offer only best wishes for you having walked this path as you are doing now.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 12:41 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

I think the first important step is to identify which autistic traits you struggle with the most; they do interact to a degree, of course, but it will tell you where to concentrate your efforts. Even within the narrower category of high functioning Aspies there's can be huge differences in which traits have the most impact day-to-day (and "high functioning" itself is not so easy to pin down - IQ-based measures tell only part of the story). Since I started using the forums when I was first diagnosed a few years ago, I've even discovered quite a few behaviours and sensory quirks that I had never imagined might be autism-related; the behavioural models of most professionals barely scratch the surface, really.

A couple of things that can be applied to most of us, though, are anxiety management, and somewhat related, looking at how hard you have to work to compensate for your autistic traits when dealing with everyday life ("masking"). Tackling those is what can free up the energy that you might need to tackle any other problems, IMHO - though of course, you can throw that out of the window if there's a specific problem that's having a huge impact on your life right now.

I'd start with settling into the forum a bit, and have a browse through the recent threads to see if any discussions catch your eye - I'd be very surprised if you don't find one or two where someone's talking about an aspect of autism which you've never had the chance to discuss openly with anyone before. And don't be shy about asking whatever questions you need to, as said above, many of us here have walked a this path before, and you won't get better advice than from those who've lived through similar experiences.

And one last little bit of advice. Don't try to cram it all in at once - I found that it can be very tempting to over-indulge in research once you find your feet here!

Best wishes.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2019, 9:12 am

I found concentrating on work in my 20s resulted in a promotion to management at 30. Since there was no more overtime, I used the newly acquired "free" time to experiment with social engagement via volunteer work and joining Mensa.

I found Mensa to be filled with somewhat similar people who may have avoided social entanglement till later in life and now were beginning to experiment with it. Someone once said that if you were in Mensa and didn't have Aspergers, it was because someone else took your test.

The more complex, faster, more sensitive neurology that gives a high IQ may also result in the characteristics of Aspergers. It would be expected that children with this neurological configuration would have a stronger internal thought life that would be less responsive to external influences and result in developmental delays until such time as consideration of the need for internal restructuring was identified.

A free pdf booklet that might be helpful is here;

http://christianpioneer.com/blogarchiev ... e_2017.pdf