Is anyone here classified as a 'Vulnerable adult' ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 5:29 pm

I had someone here from the council to do a yearly check because I’m supposedly a ‘vulnerable’ adult . My stepdaughter was here with me. The council woman seemed to think I was very independent , but I had to point I get quite a lot of support to maintain that independence. I explained how things were before I came to live here and wasn’t getting the support. I am guessing that she meets people who are a lot worse than me. These things are very much on a spectrum I would say.

I’m not sure about being a ‘vulnerable’ adult. When I mentioned the situation in Essex she said that it seems there was quite a lot of self neglect.

As it's still uncertain whether I'm on the spectrum it has to be on mental health grounds

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2019, 9:09 pm

Not now

maybe later

Or maybe I should

Do you benefit from that classification?

How does the category affect you?

The law in England might be different from the United States law

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 3:58 am

I'm not sure whether it benefits me or not , and how it affects me. Yesterday was the first time I've been described as such by anyone.
It could be because I had a care package for cleaning the flat which came about after being assessed by social services. I've now got someone coming in privately as it was deemed that I had to start paying a lot of money for it via the care agency I was using.
It could also be because my stepdaughter is seconded to be told of anything the council or housing association are doing that affects me.

Here are the criteria for England and Wales- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulnerabl ... _and_Wales

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 6:52 am

Here the criteria is:

"Are 60 or older who are functionally, mentally, or physically unable to care for themselves OR

Have a court-appointed guardian OR

Have a developmental disability OR

Live in nursing homes, adult family homes, boarding homes, or any other facility OR

Get services from home health, hospice, or home care agencies OR

Get services from an individual care provider or a personal aide".

I don't recall being called a vulnerable adult, but it's probably in my file. Based on the criteria I certainly "qualify".

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 8:27 am

That sounds quite similar to the England and Wales criteria. The thing is I need quite a lot of support to maintain independence(Living on my own) , but find it hard to see that I am vulnerable.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2019, 9:15 am

I've never heard that term but my family would more or less classify me as such on their own discretion and nothing more