Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 5:25 am

Found this in my rss feeds. Is there really a need for it for females on the spectrum?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/30/periods- ... e-8857085/

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 6:37 am

I don't think saying that the vagina is the size of a travel tube of toothpaste is very accurate. You can fit a whole baby through it. I wanna see her squeeze a baby through a tube of toothpaste.

I don't know if this is needed or not. I learned this stuff back in the days when Kotex was called Simplicity. We got free packs of pads (that were huge. I rember Always bringing out thin pads a few years later and we all wanted them. Now they are normal.) and a little booklet. A video from the early 80s, which was dreadful. All educational stuff in the early 90s was do dated it's made me fascinated with the 80s. The contrast between 80s and 90s fashion was immense... I digress.

Anyway. It was all pretty straight forward to me. When you buy tampons they come with an instruction book and FAQs. If you read it you know what to do with them.

I found it weird her mum changed her pads I front of her.

This seems to be more for kids with comprehension difficulties than autism or for more severe autism. Its pretty obvious that you fold the wings around your pants to hold the pad in place.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2019, 6:24 pm

I remember it took me along time to learn to cope with periods, but I'm not sure a booklet would have helped.
The issues for me were in the executive functioning area - just remembering expected period dates and being prepared, and remembering to keep myself clean and to realise when I was getting smelly.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 4:18 am

firemonkey wrote:
Found this in my rss feeds. Is there really a need for it for females on the spectrum?

I'd say no. I don't think we need specific guides any more than an NT would, and what we'd need to know, we can find just fine by googling it or reading typical columns where such questions are asked.

I don't know how this works elsewhere, but at 10 we were sent to the school nurse for a very embarrassing talk about puberty, and there were also some mentions in some classes. I learned largely from magazines though, and also from some highly embarrassing talks I tried to phase out! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 8:22 am

I'm already a period pro honestly. Had this come out years ago when I needed it then it would have been more useful to me. Though to be truthful I don't think anything would have helped me back then because I used to bleed really heavy

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 11:02 am

Shouldn't this be in the woman's discussion?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 11:28 am

It probably should be in the women's section , but as a man I'd be intruding to post in there.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 11:33 am

An attempt via step by step-- ah, I forgot what is was called. The site, and minus tons of words.
It consists of pictures and specific actions, literally step by step, like, pull zipper down, then pull pants down, sit, and then pee. That kind of specific.

To be honest, I'm not sure overall really. It's likely not that autistics would need a special guide for their first period in most cases. I think the best guide, depending in the individual's inclination, is either the books or another (likely an adult and mature enough) female.

In my case, I've partially figured somehow what feminine products are for before my first period -- actually from advertisements and seeing said products at the mall. I barely learnt what puberty is at school or via books to be honest -- it's just words and pictures of puberty alone doesn't give me enough to process the concept.
By that time, I was still barely starting (if over 2 years is considered as starting) to learn the real concept of actual written verbal comprehension as opposed to, say, seeing written words and letters as mere patterns and shapes easily memorized with minimum contexts involved.

Therefore, if I seen the guide during those times, it's just a bunch of fragmented words and pictures to me. I'd just laugh at the pictures, only to recall at later date and realize contexts of the texts much, much later, even long after I ever had my first period.

Then my first period happened while I was asleep and my mom saw it. On a school vacation month. It saved me a lot of potential panic or whatnot. I was just that damn lucky.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 6:50 am

I started my periods at 13, but honestly period cramps were the worst pains I had experienced so far. I was as laid up with period cramps as most people are with the flu, and I had to rely on painkillers to get me through each period. I knew I couldn't carry on like that, so I went on the pill at 18 and been on it ever since. My periods are more bearable.

Men: If you want to know what period pains feel like, you know when you get bad cramps in your abdomen when you have diarrhoea? Period cramps feel like that, the same sort of cramp, but obviously in the ovaries and around the pelvic area too, not in the bowels of course. I don't know if other women think that, but it's the closest I can get to describing menstrual cramps to men. Just think of diarrhea cramps, 10 times worse. Ouch!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 7:12 am

hurtloam wrote:
I don't think saying that the vagina is the size of a travel tube of toothpaste is very accurate. You can fit a whole baby through it. I wanna see her squeeze a baby through a tube of toothpaste.

Writing "the vagina is large enough to fit a whole baby through" would probably be more confusing in this context. Besides, that's more a question of elasticity.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 12:54 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Writing "the vagina is large enough to fit a whole baby through" would probably be more confusing in this context. Besides, that's more a question of elasticity.

Hmm. In product terms what is like it lol.

My concern is girls may read that toothpaste tube thing and rigidly believe that if they are literal thinkers. May cause anxiety about penetrative sex.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 2:58 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Shouldn't this be in the woman's discussion?

I think it's fine here , there are a lot of uneducated men who would learn a thing or two. How about fathers with daughters. Is this becoming a taboo subject ? Are we going back to the dark ages where men are not allowed in the delivery room and just get to smoke a cigar. This is a woman's issue but it affects men as well , as I have a daughter and a GF I can testify to that. Obviously if it's a personal issue about periods or you only want to talk to women then fine , the women section is perfect for that but natural bodily functions should be known by everyone even if your body is not capable of functioning like that. My daughter is a staunch feminist , her mother and her grandmother , they have very open views about things like this and it is the benchmark I use.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 8:35 am

firemonkey wrote:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/30/periods- ... e-8857085/

I was ten when I got my first period. Coming from a dysfuctional family I had nobody guiding me and I was terrified. On the premise that young girls, however their brain's function, haven't got a clue, any accurate and sensitive guidance would be beneficial. Not all have nurturing environments to embrace them.

Of course dads and brothers and all concerned should be fully informed and open about such things. Just as girls and boys should be taught the difference between male and female sexuality. Sex for adolescent boys is purely and urgently physical IMO and for girls it's confused with love and romance. Girls should know about wet dreams and boys about PMS.

I read in an encyclopaedia about the sex life of frogs. I wouldn't take a bath after my father cos I thought there were little tiny tadpoles swimming in the bath that would float up my lady parts and impregnate me.

That's funny, but it's a tragic thought that maybe kids have absolutely nobody that cares enough to inform them, or soothe their crazy obsessions that result from misinformation.

Well done you guys who are sensitive to your daughter's needs and break the silly taboos. Some mothers could learn well from you.