Adaptive functioning and intelligence?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 9:49 am

Can someone explain adaptive functioning to me, and how it relates,or doesn't relate,to one's intelligence? I am supposedly very intelligent,but struggle with practical tasks and score badly on online tests of non-verbal intelligence.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 12:25 pm

Meh. High PIQ alone doesn't stave one off from executive dysfunction.
But wider scopes of 'awareness', faster and more processing spaces to actually afford mental multitasking, combined with good and balanced profiles of intelligence would likely could add scores to adaptive functioning.

The concept of regulation, awareness and timing -- the real time application of these, are only partially dependent to intelligence and knowledge.
To be good at adaptive functioning, indeed you'll need intelligence -- preferably even profiles of verbal and nonverbal, good working memory and long/short term memory.

But, one can be intelligent, yet couldn't be good with planning, regulation, etc. ADD-like, odd profiles, incompatible processing or ineffective styles, or worse, maladaptiveness.
There are various factors in this, regardless of intelligence profiles.
So what if you're sociable and have an IQ of 130 when you're hormonally imbalanced into moodiness half the time and end up into impulsivity?
One can socialize, can conform easy, when he or she can't keep a single chore done?
Then, sure, if focus is your strong point -- when you can't stop or switch gears?
If someone have a balanced profile and motivated, knows what to do, how to do it, and willing to do so, when constantly overwhelmed and lose scopes of awareness to actually apply knowledge and experience?
So what if you did this task before when you inconsistently succeed and failed, as if your experiences and knowledge are barely relevant nor ever measure your skill?
Yeah, balanced profile -- mentally intelligent NT even, except is held back by fear of uncertainty, lack of knowledge, lack of motivation, undesirable status like being unable to handle depression, getting drunk, or sleep deprived, etc...

So yeah... That's the pattern I'm seeing -- regulation, awareness, timing, processing spaces/speed first... Then knowledge and intelligence, on both verbal and nonverbal, are more likely secondary.
There are other factors too, like, energy, physical capabilities, etc... But really good primary factors of adaptive functioning can override this, secondary factors can think of work arounds.

I'd trust someone else could explain with better words than this. It's a mess.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.