Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Celina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2019, 2:56 am

Anyone have any stories of Neuro-Typicals being really annoying/entitled? I have one:

Ok, so to get home from my high school(the one from the popular show “Skam” btw) I take the tram, then the metro, then walk 20 min from a station near a local tennis court. For a long time last year, every time I got off the train at my stop, a fat bearded man with a backpack, got off at the same time, and started walking in front of me, smoking. And, presumably because of his physique, I couldn’t walk slowly enough for his smoke cloud to be outside the range of my heightened sense of smell. As I have experienced people smoking outside the gym I go to, I have found cigarette smoke absolutely unbearable. I actually had to start holding a handkerchief with a lavender bag in it, when walking to and from my gym.

Anyway, every day, I would have to frequently stop, cough, wheeze and wait for him to get as far ahead of me as possible. Eventually, I found a chance to walk past him, so because I was wearing headphones, I just ran ahead of him as far as I could and kept walking calmly, free of the smoke 8) . He stopped talking the metro at the same time as me a while after that.

Like, I just don’t understand how such a clearly unhealthy man can smoke THAT MUCH?!

*happy ferret noises*

Dog1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 May 2019, 4:58 am

Celina wrote:
Anyone have any stories of Neuro-Typicals being really annoying/entitled? I have one:

Ok, so to get home from my high school(the one from the popular show “Skam” btw) I take the tram, then the metro, then walk 20 min from a station near a local tennis court. For a long time last year, every time I got off the train at my stop, a fat bearded man with a backpack, got off at the same time, and started walking in front of me, smoking. And, presumably because of his physique, I couldn’t walk slowly enough for his smoke cloud to be outside the range of my heightened sense of smell. As I have experienced people smoking outside the gym I go to, I have found cigarette smoke absolutely unbearable. I actually had to start holding a handkerchief with a lavender bag in it, when walking to and from my gym.

Anyway, every day, I would have to frequently stop, cough, wheeze and wait for him to get as far ahead of me as possible. Eventually, I found a chance to walk past him, so because I was wearing headphones, I just ran ahead of him as far as I could and kept walking calmly, free of the smoke 8) . He stopped talking the metro at the same time as me a while after that.

Like, I just don’t understand how such a clearly unhealthy man can smoke THAT MUCH?!

I'm not really into smoking, either.

He might be in pain from a past-injury or to cope with an illness, though.

Some people smoke cigarettes or weed to deal with chronic-pain, and that could be his situation.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 5:13 am

It's a dependence that's become a part of his routine. It's good you can't tolerate the smoke. People can actually get lung cancer from second-hand smoke. I used to accompany my aunt to the fire escape to chit chat with during breaks at work. She was a big smoker. I had to stop being around her during breaks because I started to feel physically ill after a while. Problems with my chest and breathing. I can't stand it either. It's a killer. Bad for health.
P.S. Your pic is nice - warming smile - very contagious! :D But do understand that smoking is prevalent among a lot of people, not just NT's. That auntie that I mentioned smoked much to the point that I nicknamed her Aunt "Chimney". She just had her last chemotherapy treatment - problems with the colon. She's smoked for over 50 years. Once I saw a t-shirt that said, "Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray." I agree. The smoke gets into everything - clothing, furniture, curtains, even food. :roll:

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 20 May 2019, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 5:16 am

It's an addiction, and not limited to neurotypicals, either.

The difficulty is deciding whether to express your discomfort to the smoker, because a lot are defensive about it and might verbally (or even physically) lash out against the complainant.

But if you don't complain you get that torture effect of being subjected to something harmful but out of your control. Smoke torture.

So I get where you're coming from.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 5:22 am

Dog1 wrote:
Celina wrote:

I'm not really into smoking, either.

He might be in pain from a past-injury or to cope with an illness, though.

Some people smoke cigarettes or weed to deal with chronic-pain, and that could be his situation.

Pain-killers or deep heat cream does the trick too, and it's better for your lungs than gross cigarettes that cause cancer.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 7:30 am

How do you know that he’s neurotypical?

Celina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2019, 8:52 am

Twilightprincess wrote:

I’ve seen his face once. Didn’t seem autistic. I’m sure he isn’t.

*happy ferret noises*

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:56 am

Celina wrote:
Anyone have any stories of Neuro-Typicals being really annoying/entitled? I have one...
One man is not representative of all neurotypicals.
Celina wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
So now you're also an expert at diagnosis based on the way a person's face looks, right?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 20 May 2019, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 8:57 am

I loathe the smell of cigarette smoke and it makes me sick being anywhere near it. When I used to work at my local newspaper as a proofreader, I would get assaulted by clouds of cigarette smoke from my co-workers. One guy reeked of smoke.

That guy you mention is unhealthy in many ways.

Joe90,

You are right. There are much better ways to relieve pain. Cigarette smoking, in the long run, creates more pain when people develop horrible lung cancer.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:04 am

Celina wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I don’t seem autistic, either, but I yam what I yam.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:07 am

Most autistic people----even some who are very severely autistic----don't "look autistic."

There are some neurotypicals who actually "look" like they have a genetic problem or something. But they actually don't.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 9:33 am

When I read the title I thought this was about being annoying *to* NTs.

And not necessarily by accident. :twisted:

Celina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2019, 9:59 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

LOL because of that I now really want to hear if you have any "being annoying TO NTs" stories :lol:

*happy ferret noises*

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 11:22 am

Everyone, autistic and neurotypical, is "annoying" to someone, sometimes

There are seven billion people in the world

Amy lee scheel b***h had the nerve to tell me that she would tell me whenever I did the slightest thing she did not like and she expected me to change immediately, permanently drastically and cheerfully.

She wasn't willing to do likewise for me

Not even stop jaywalking

Things the b***h did that I didn't like:

:mrgreen: talk too much and too loudly

:roll: interrupt me to ask what I was going to say

:cry: cancel on me, little or no notice

:D tell me that you used too much toilet paper

:twisted: say "what" instead of "excuse me"

:roll: purposely went out of her own way, to dog sit, when she knew I was afraid of dogs

:oops: judgmental attitude. "Cool" this and "sucks" that

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 11:56 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

So did I. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2019, 12:20 pm

All through my life, I've been told, especially by narcissist-types, that I am "annoying."

Most decent people actually don't find me annoying.