Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jun 2019, 12:54 pm

After being around people at work I felt very panicky and had to run to my car. There is an unexpected new person and my project was interrupted. I don't just feel panicky, I really have trouble not screaming and have to get away quick. Kids could run to their parents in these cases, it's tougher as an adult. The world is too overwhelming. I need a plan to help me so I don't feel like I am dying inside. I want to share my story, I want to get connected and offer and receive support from like minded people. I can't live like this, where I am working just to avert another meltdown. If anyone has ideas I would love it if they could be shared.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 12:59 pm

I've had I think four this month.

You need to create a plan for when you are getting overwhelmed. Have an escape route in mind, a quiet, low sensory place to go into and calm down. Bring sensory tools to work as well, and try to pay attention to your stress level. If you notice yourself getting out of hand, go to the quiet place before you reach meltdown.

Also, in that quiet place try to have something to focus on related to a special interest.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2019, 1:29 pm

Find out what calms you down and try to create a place that will clam you. The car is good. Are you able to let your boss know that when you dissapear you need a break and will return when you are ready? Hopefully your employer will understand. You don't know until you ask. Many employers will want to help you as it means you can return refreshed and able to concentrate, where you will be at your best. Communication (When you are calm... Not when you are wound up and unable to express yourself) so those arround you understand you need a break if you are too wound up will help as half the issue is for most is along the lines of "Where is he going?" and "Why does he need to go to his car?" which can be puzzling if they don't understand, but if they learn that your brain needs a break from the stress, they can sympathise... as they will be able to relate to the releif from stress and brain needing a break... As even the most brilliant acedemics need a break...
Being able to explain what you get in a way that others will understand in a way they can relate to is the issue.

Above all, relax. All is ok. Nothing major is happening. All is fine. Ok?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2019, 2:09 pm

I've had two this month, including the one I had this morning at my OT's office. I tend to lose all higher reasoning abilities, can't communicate, struggle to understand others, and lose all sense of danger whilst I'm in the middle of one. I'll hit my head with my hands or on surfaces, pull my hair, bite myself, etc. Sometimes I'll scream. The only things that stop it are time and exhaustion, or physical restraint. My OT restrained me this morning, and it de-escalated quickly(ish) because the deep pressure helps a lot.

There's nothing I can do myself to stop a meltdown once it's started, but there are a lot of things I do afterwards to help myself. I carry a small sensory bag with me in my backpack that has things that are calming and grounding. I have several tactile squishy toys, a super soft bunny keychain made of humanely sourced real fur, two roller bottles of essential oils for smelling (lavender and bergamot), some fruit gum and orange tic tacs, a small plastic egg that lights up in various colours, and a tiny palm-sized wind up music box that plays one of my favourite songs. It's extremely helpful because most of my meltdowns (essentially all, in fact) happen when I'm away from home, so having something portable that I can use to bring myself back down to a calmer state is very important.

At home I have a swinging pod chair hanging from my bunk bed. I tied a blanket over the opening so it feels enclosed, cozy and secure inside. I also have several weighted blankets of different weights, and a beanbag crash pad. These are also very useful calming tools, and they help me when my anxiety and overwhelm get too big.

I can't provide much advice on how to prevent the meltdowns, but sensory things that are particularly effective for you can make a big difference to your recovery time afterwards.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!